Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the Unlimited Verizon Data Plan worth keeping?

Feedback Score

Is the Unlimited Verizon Data Plan worth keeping?

I've been using Droid smart phones for about two generations now and am Grandfathered into an unlimited data plan.

I've been examining my monthly $110 bill now that I'm done with my contract, and would like to reduce it if possible. The data portion seems to be the biggest expense, but I'm afraid to give up the deal that I have.

Right now I use my WiFi connection at home for most of the stuff I do on my Droid X, and for the last 3 months I've only used about 800MB of my plan.

I really have no need for a smartphone any more and since all I do is talk rarely and send about 200 texts/month, it seems silly to pay so much.

But what if in the future data usage becomes more common and I want to get a data plan again? I won't be able to get the unlimited plan back. What do you guys think? Is it worth keeping?

Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I'm not sure I follow your plan here. Are you going to switch to a feature phone now?

Phone
    iPhone 4S, Moto Atrix, Galaxy Nexus LTE
    Carrier
    ATT (Jan 2004-Current), Tmobile Oct 2007-Current, Sprint 1997-2004, Aerial Communications 1996
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lion9how View Post
    I'm not sure I follow your plan here. Are you going to switch to a feature phone now?
    Things to consider.

Verizon currently does not offer limited data plans. They had in the past 200mb/300mb but they quickly got rid of them.

Your only choices start at $30 for 2GB data plan. So if you are planning on using a smartphone you are better off keeping the unlimited.

Also keep in mind for some weird reason $29.99 unlimited data plans qualify for corporate data discounts while $30/2Gb do not. Yes that's weird I know. But right now I get 20% of unlimited data. So I pay $24 for unlimited. If I went to 2Gb/$30 I would not get a discount.

So unless you plan on using a feature phone. Keep the unlimited. Or better yet. If you qualify for an upgrade. Use that upgrade to buy the most profitable smartphone you can and resell it immediately for profit.

Than even though you started a new contract. You can get someone to take over the account and assume your account remaining months because they desperately want the unlimited data

Your unlimited data plan is worth $200 in the open market to someone. Don't get rid of it! It has value.

Phones
    Verizon iPhone
    Droid Maxx
    Carriers
    Verizon Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
    Also keep in mind for some weird reason $29.99 unlimited data plans qualify for corporate data discounts while $30/2Gb do not. Yes that's weird I know. But right now I get 20% of unlimited data. So I pay $24 for unlimited. If I went to 2Gb/$30 I would not get a discount.
    Actually the $29.99 unlimited data plan does not "qualify" for a corporate data discount. The data discount is simply being grandfathered for you just like the unlimited data plan is. If you were to move to any other plan it would be a minimum $50 data plan to qualify for a corporate data discount.

Quote Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
    Than even though you started a new contract. You can get someone to take over the account and assume your account remaining months because they desperately want the unlimited data
    Your unlimited data plan is worth $200 in the open market to someone. Don't get rid of it! It has value.
    Excellent point. It is worth keeping the unlimited data plan for that reason alone.

Phones
    Samsung U430 (fully functioinal bluetooth)
    Moto Droid as an accessory
    LG VX8350 (retired)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I would look at the redundancies and consider your future needs. I cut out my home cable bill years ago and prefer Verizon because it is more flexible (portable, for one). So the $30 data was a much better deal for me than $40/50 Charter service.

Right now, I'm trying to learn GV and GrooveIP to transition voice.

I use email rather than text.

Phones
    Droid RAZR
    Droid RAZR
    Droid 3
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I would hold on to it. Now with that being said... I use my phone for facebook all day every day and a couple of youtube videos here and there. I use around 1 gig. Its still nice to know that I have unlimited just in case specially with 4g. In one part of the town I get 20 mbps! Also if you have unlimited data and get a 4g phone, you can get unlimited hotspot for 30 dllrs so it may be worth canning your home internet in favor of that.

Phone
    Samsung SCH-I760
    Feedback Score
    The unlimited is going to disappear even for those who were grandfathered in. My bet is that it will be gone when the iPhone 5 comes out. All of us that have unlimited will not be grandfathered in when our contracts expire.

Carrier
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wxman2003 View Post
    The unlimited is going to disappear even for those who were grandfathered in. My bet is that it will be gone when the iPhone 5 comes out. All of us that have unlimited will not be grandfathered in when our contracts expire.

Better not disappear for those of us that are grandfathered in. I feel if Verizon does, it will make their grandfathered customers very angry.

Carrier
    All of them.
    Feedback Score
    I am holding onto my lines even though it's like making a car payment every month (or in some cases, a house payment) lol
    Home ISP, RR-Ultimate WiFi, $90/mo | Verizon 4G, $30/mo Unlimited

School, $5,000/semester | Work

Phones
    LTE Ipad w/Skype
    Globalstar GSP 1600
    Iphone 5s
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    If you "sell" your contract, don't you lose your phone number?

Phones
    LTE Ipad w/Skype
    Globalstar GSP 1600
    Iphone 5s
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by klzemx3 View Post
    I would hold on to it. Now with that being said... I use my phone for facebook all day every day and a couple of youtube videos here and there. I use around 1 gig. Its still nice to know that I have unlimited just in case specially with 4g. In one part of the town I get 20 mbps! Also if you have unlimited data and get a 4g phone, you can get unlimited hotspot for 30 dllrs so it may be worth canning your home internet in favor of that.
    That's your usage, not the OP. I think he wants comments on his situation.

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note II
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wxman2003 View Post
    Although that would be contrary to current practice and also contrary to what their competitors' policies are. I've upgraded several times since unlimited went away and have been grandfathered every single time.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jseah View Post
    Although that would be contrary to current practice and also contrary to what their competitors' policies are. I've upgraded several times since unlimited went away and have been grandfathered every single time.
    It's not a guarantee though especially if there's no other carrier to go too.

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Verizon's unlimited data plan is worth its weight in gold as it is not throttled nor limited in any way unlike with ATT as of recently. If you had wanted to sell your number to someone, you would easily get a few hundred dollars for the line alone, just for the unlimited data. You can look on Ebay and other places if you don't believe me.

I will hold onto my plan for dear life. I am out of contract as of last month and mulling whether to renew to keep my plan. I am afraid that by going month to month, its more likely for them to pry it from me. But I feel even if I get into a contract, they'll do their best to take it away anyways, or at least throttle it to hell like ATT does with their grandfathered customers.

Phone
    iPhone 4S, Moto Atrix, Galaxy Nexus LTE
    Carrier
    ATT (Jan 2004-Current), Tmobile Oct 2007-Current, Sprint 1997-2004, Aerial Communications 1996
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdydesi View Post
    Verizon's unlimited data plan is worth its weight in gold as it is not throttled nor limited in any way unlike with ATT as of recently. If you had wanted to sell your number to someone, you would easily get a few hundred dollars for the line alone, just for the unlimited data. You can look on Ebay and other places if you don't believe me.

I will hold onto my plan for dear life. I am out of contract as of last month and mulling whether to renew to keep my plan. I am afraid that by going month to month, its more likely for them to pry it from me. But I feel even if I get into a contract, they'll do their best to take it away anyways, or at least throttle it to hell like ATT does with their grandfathered customers.
    Right now Verizon does "targeted throttling of CDMA/3G data users of the top 5% of users only during "congested hours/towers" So Verizon does throttle 3G users.

Verizon (for now) does not throttle LTE users. One can assume the LTE network is not congested to even matter to Verizon.

LTE iPhone coming in the next 4-6 months will be a different ball game. iPhones outsold over 3:1 all smartphones (3G/LTE) in Q4 2011 and outsold all LTE pones 2:1 in Q1 2012.

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast