Thread: Answering Galaxy S2 without swiping the screen

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S II I9100
    Carrier
    Tesco/Vodafone (UK)
    Feedback Score

Answering Galaxy S2 without swiping the screen

I wonder whether anyone can help me? I am thinking of purchasing a Samsung Galaxy S2, but I need to know whether there is a simple way of answering the phone? That is to say that I have problems with the unlock screen on the Samsung Galaxy B-7510. Due to my disability, I seem to have a problem in dragging my finger across the screen to answer the call. As you can imagine this causes a wee bit of a problem when wanting to answer the phone. For the time being I have gone back to my trusted Nokia E75. With that I can answer it by pressing any key. I was wondering whether anyone could tell me whether Easy Call will work with the Galaxy S2? I was going to get it for the B-7510 but was told that the application was incompatible with the phone.

I am torn between wanting to get the Samsung or sticking with the Nokia. Every time I change my phone, for whatever reason, I seem to always be drawn back to the Nokia. I realise that the S2 will be the heck of a lot better than the 7510, and all I can say about that phone is that I am glad it was free upgrade and I did not have to buy it. However, with my track record, I do not want to be going back to the Nokia in a few weeks, or months, after a paying £350.

I do have a problem with the lack of a physical keyboard, but a friend thinks that a can get around that using the voice recognition on the phone for my messaging. When at home, I will also be using it connected to the computer via Bluetooth, using My Phone Explorer. It is only really when I am out that I am in need of a keyboard. To be honest I do not like touchscreens, but I also realise that this is the way of the phones in the future.

Another thing that really annoys me about the B-7510 was very way that it messed up my MP3 collection. For some reason it did not like album names, Rick's 12" collection, Rick's 70's collection, and Rick's 80's collection. This particularly annoyed me as these albums worked perfectly on the Nokia. Am I going to have the same problem on the S2? I assume that for whatever reason it did not like apostrophes in the album name. It was also very finicky on where I had the phone on my body as to whether the A2DP headset (Nokia BH-503) would work properly. Being a wheelchair user I am limited, somewhat, as to where I can put the phone; again, the Nokia does not have this problem. It also would not auto-answer using the headset. Again, something I rely upon, Basically, the designers of the B-7510 need a wage cut, as all-in-all it is a terrible phone.

I am hoping all these niggles are not in the S2?

Richard.

Feedback Score
    got it, its very helpful.

Phone
    Carrier
    Tesco/Vodafone (UK)
    Feedback Score
    I take it you mean Easy Call on the S2?

Hopefully I might be meeting up with a friend who is currently using her boyfriend's S2. I will ask her to download it so I can try it when I see her. Hopefully I can also try using the keyboard. Last time I was with her she replied to a message using only one hand, whilst the phone was lying on a table. It was after that, that my interest was re-ignited.

Phones
    SGH-T889V Galaxy Note II
    Previous phones: SCH-n370, SCH-m510, SGH-T746 Impact, GT-S5660M Galaxy Gio, GT-I9020A Nexus S
    Carriers
    Koodo
    Bell Mobility and Virgin Mobile Canada (previous)
    Feedback Score
    The poster above is merely a spammer...

What you saw was probably your friend use is the included Swype keyboard. The beta version (which, I'll admit probably requires root to get working on a stock Touchwiz ROM) is even better and now has Nuance's voice recognition.

The Galaxy Pro you had ran Android 2.2, the S2 is getting 4.0 as we speak. Major improvement right there.

Depending on your disability and exact wheelchair setup, would an articulated arm mount be sensible?
    (I'm thinking RAM Mount kits here, not cheap, but very well built and tons of configuration options.)

Phones
    Samsung U430 (fully functioinal bluetooth)
    Moto Droid as an accessory
    LG VX8350 (retired)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    And wouldn't NoLok be helpful? Gets rid of slide-to-unlock.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using HowardForums

Phone
    Carrier
    Tesco/Vodafone (UK)
    Feedback Score
    @steveanderson13

Thanks. I had not heard of that. I will take a look.

Phones
    Samsung U430 (fully functioinal bluetooth)
    Moto Droid as an accessory
    LG VX8350 (retired)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    It's a godsend. My BT headset works perfectly with Motorola Bionic. Phone has Nuance; dont know about S2. But calls in/out do not require any touch of phone.

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    Samsung galaxy note 2
    Carrier
    koodo Mobile (Canada)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LouisR View Post

The Galaxy Pro you had ran Android 2.2, the S2 is getting 4.0 as we speak. Major improvement right there.
    Indeed i just got a Galaxy Nexus... 4.0 is way better for answering and hanging up on calls. just tap the coloured bar on the screen...

Carrier
    At&T
    Feedback Score
    For me, answering the call is OK, it's hanging up if you are on speakerphone. The S2 screen is blank, so if you want to hang up you have to activate the screen, then hang up. PITA!!
    Have phone, will call...

Phone
    Carrier
    Tesco/Vodafone (UK)
    Feedback Score
    @LouisR

First off, let me apologise for the delay in answering your message.

I first heard about the Swype keyboard on another board, a view weeks ago; after being with my friend. From my understanding, the Galaxy S holds the world record for the fastest texting using this keyboard? "the razor-toothed piranhas of the genera Serrasalmus and Pygocentrus are the most ferocious freshwater fish in the world. In reality they seldom attack a human", in under 26 seconds by a passer-by they pulled off the street, who had never used that keyboard before. Now I am not looking for anything approaching that speed, I would like to think that I could do it in under a few minutes. It really does annoy me when my friends have to wait an eternity for me to reply to them. I usually end up phoning them if I am out.

I think that I was more interested in the way that she could use the keyboard without the phone actually moving. I assumed that she would have to use one hand to steady the phone. Admittedly, she did have it in a case which is very unusual for her (though she said this was at her boyfriend's insistence, as it is his phone <g>). I have tried this with my phones in the past, which I always keep in a case, but I find that they always move. I actually have a few choc-blocks on my desk at home to prevent the phone from moving, just in case I do try and use the phone's keyboard as opposed to the Bluetooth.

As for voice recognition, that is a bit of a thorny subject with me. I have been trying to use it on the computer, on and off, for about the last fifteen years. For some reason it does not much like my Mancunican accent. I first started using IBM's ViaVoice, but am now using Nuance's Dragon naturally speaking. This I assume is a cut down version in the Galaxy? I did try a voice recognition on any other Galaxy, and I was quite happy with the results, considering the mess the computer makes.

Another friend who has just bought the S2, has upgraded to the new Ice Cream Sandwich operating system. Though he only used the installed OS for a few days, before upgrading, he did say that he has noticed one heck of a difference. He also had the Samsung Ace before upgrading the phone. He has much more experience with Samsungs, and Android, than I have.

I do like the idea of the idea of the articulated arm, ala. Professor Hawking. As the chair actually belongs to the NHS, depending on how it attaches to the chair's frame, I think that that is a no-no; they would not like it if I started attaching bits. :-) Great idea though.

If I can find it, I was thinking of a more low-tech solution. My "bad" hand, which is useless, usually lies across my lap, resting on my right leg. I was thinking that if I could get a holder, similar to what runners have for strapping their MP3 players to the top of their arms, and could attach that to my arm, I could then use the the phone as it was resting on the underside of my arm. I realise this might sound odd, but just rest your arm across your body, on the opposite leg. That might help to visualise what I have in mind.

Thank you for your reply.

Richard.

Phone
    Carrier
    Tesco/Vodafone (UK)
    Feedback Score
    @Steveanderson13

That sounds ideal. If the S2 works like that, then that sounds just like what I am after. I just want what I have on the E75, but MORE. :-)

Phone
    Carrier
    Tesco/Vodafone (UK)
    Feedback Score
    @batkinson001

Again, that sounds just the ticket. I think that even I could hit a green bar.

Phone
    Carrier
    Tesco/Vodafone (UK)
    Feedback Score
    @Itmanishman

Hanging up should not be a problem. I am not bothered if it takes me longer to hang up than the average person. As long as I can answer the phone, without terminating the call instead, then the other problems can be ironed out.

Carrier
    At&T
    Feedback Score
    I have not actually missed a call because I screwed up the swipe, but it is not a nice as the call button on my old Blackberry.