Thread: G1 Unlimited Data Plan and (legal) tethering

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score

G1 Unlimited Data Plan and (legal) tethering

Hi all,
    My wife and I are on the old-school G1 Unlimited data + 400 texts plan and have managed to stay on the plan despite replacing our phones - she has the MyTouch Q and I have the Samsung Galaxy S Blaze.

Anyway, I want to tether sometimes. As I understand it, my old-school grandfathered data plan has no preset cap on HSPA+ data speeds; I don't want to lose the plan. Online it won't let me add the mobile hot spot service ($15/month) without changing my data plan. I could tether on the sly, of course; my old G1 was running CyanogenMod and could do it, but I'd rather not run foul of their data services and attract their attention.

So, what are the chances I can get somebody on the phone who's willing to add the tethering without changing me to a current data plan? Do I need to talk to a certain part of T-Mo or can a regular customer service agent do it? I'll be calling some time soon to get my Galaxy sim-unlocked anyway, so I could do it then but I don't want to risk some unaware agent screwing up my sweet grandfathered data plan.

On a related note, has anybody been throttled using 4G on the G1 unlimited plans?

Device(s)
    nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-MOBILE USA
    Feedback Score
    I have an n900 and currently a xperia pro. I have the grandfathered $20 unlimited internet add-on. So far, i don't have any problem tethering on my unbranded & unlocked devices. No tethering fee either...

I haven't experienced being throttled either maybe because barely use it to access internet on my pc nor exceeding 5gb by just using my phone.

I stay away from getting new phones under contract as i know that it might change my plan into their pricier current plans.

Sent from my MK16i using HowardForums

Device(s)
    Android
    Carrier(s)
    -T--Mobile USA|Get More
    Feedback Score
    T-Mobile is pretty good about allowing you to tether without the correct plan. An app like barncle will allow you to tether no problem.

Unfortunately, the G1 data plans are throttled after you pass 5GB/billing cycle, so just be aware

Device(s)
    nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-MOBILE USA
    Feedback Score
    I think they can't figure out what's my phone. Whenever i check my account online, my phone in their database keeps on turning blank even though i keep on clicking mytouch 4g slide (closest one like n900 & pro in terms of slide out keyboards)

Sent from my MK16i using HowardForums

Feedback Score
    all tethering is legal.

Post with T-Mobile Galaxy S II

Feedback Score
    To OP:

I wouldn't worry about trying to add the $15 plan. The older android devices will tether without ever getting a message on the smartphone plans.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Mods, I wish you hadn't moved this to HTC - my question had NOTHING to do with the G1 itself, but was rather about the TMO data plan called "G1 Unlimited Data + 400 Texts" because it was the required data plan for G1s when they were released. I'm not using a G1 on it - I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S Blaze.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Thanks guys, I'm up and tethering with FoxFi, on my grandfathered G1 plan and no additional costs.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cloudstrife1ph View Post

I stay away from getting new phones under contract as i know that it might change my plan into their pricier current plans.
    No need to worry about phone upgrades if done online a data plan is not even required to complete the upgrade process. I plan to do that when the Galaxy S III hits t-mobile then unlocking it to use with ST while still keeping my grandfather voice plan. Hopefully the online upgrade policy stays the same by the time the S III is released on tmo.