Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: uPrepaid

Carrier
    U.S. Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Thats true and while there certainly are good reasons why GSM may be better for prepay as I said you can buy a GS2 or Electrify on USCC's home branded prepay. That obviously wouldn't work for you given your location but still USCC's home branded prepay isn't limited to only crappy devices. U-Prepay would be more comparable to tracphone and yes it's device selection isn't awe inspriing, then again people looking to pay $45 and have tracphone quality CS are usually not people expecting top end devices either.
    Quote Originally Posted by ropp29 View Post
    With a $45/mo price tag I don't think that there's a lot to complain about. That will be my next carrier since I have to leave my family plan due to the 200mb roaming cap. As a student, a 70/mo bare-bones plan you'll get on a carrier like VZW (few minutes, no messaging) can't hold a candle to 45 bucks a month with unlimited calls and messaging and about the same amount of data (consensus seems to be that Straight Talk's "unlimited" data is around 2gb). Anyhow, my only point was that not all prepaid carriers are limited to crappy phones, as long as you are willing to provide one.

Phones
    Samsung galaxy s3
    EX-iPhone
    Carriers
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    So for the $1 per day pay as you go plan, do you only pay on the days you use your phone?

Phones
    iPhone 5 (Verizon)
    iPhone 5 (Verizon)
    iPhone 4S (T-Mo)
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    50MB data limit daily on the $2/day plan? LOLZ. What is this, 1997?

Carrier
    U.S. Cellular
    Feedback Score
    You be better off just using the monthly 2GB android plan.

Sent from my LG-US670 using HowardForums

Phones
    iPhone 5 (Verizon)
    iPhone 5 (Verizon)
    iPhone 4S (T-Mo)
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by freibrauer View Post
    You be better off just using the monthly 2GB android plan.

Sent from my LG-US670 using HowardForums
    Does the standard USCC prepaid $70 plan offer data roaming? I have no idea. If so, definitely worth it over this uPrepaid thing.

Carrier
    U.S. Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Not according to their coverage maps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pabster View Post
    Does the standard USCC prepaid $70 plan offer data roaming? I have no idea. If so, definitely worth it over this uPrepaid thing.

Phones
    iPhone 5 (Verizon)
    iPhone 5 (Verizon)
    iPhone 4S (T-Mo)
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by freibrauer View Post
    Not according to their coverage maps.
    I suspected as much.

Feedback Score
    the thing i want to know is if they will let normal uscc phones on this plan. Im on regular Us celllar prepaid right now with the lg saber ( one of the same phones they offer on the U-prepaid) and im wondering if they wuld let me transfer to one of these plans? the us cellular stores in my area are clueless that this plan even exsists.

Phones
    iPhone 5 (Verizon)
    iPhone 5 (Verizon)
    iPhone 4S (T-Mo)
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by St420 View Post
    the thing i want to know is if they will let normal uscc phones on this plan. Im on regular Us celllar prepaid right now with the lg saber ( one of the same phones they offer on the U-prepaid) and im wondering if they wuld let me transfer to one of these plans? the us cellular stores in my area are clueless that this plan even exsists.
    I doubt it. uPrepaid is a separate product from USCC Prepaid. Not surprised the USCC stores are clueless about it.

Most likely you would need to purchase one of the uPrepaid handsets and the service is limited to those devices only with no BYOD option. I'm 99.99% certain of this.

Carriers
    Back Again: US Cellular,
    Old and Busted: Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    The phone photos (like the Samsung Repp) have a US Cellular logo on them just like a regular USCC handset. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if the ESNs are logged differently, etc.

Has anyone seen the Repp in stores yet? A friend of mine checked Walmart the other day but that wasn't one of the options locally. Makes me wonder if it's delayed a bit. As it sits, the 2gb/unl/unl plan with a national prepaid footprint beats even Pageplus.

--Droo, @Network

Phones
    iPhone 5 (Verizon)
    iPhone 5 (Verizon)
    iPhone 4S (T-Mo)
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by droobie View Post
    The phone photos (like the Samsung Repp) have a US Cellular logo on them just like a regular USCC handset. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if the ESNs are logged differently, etc.

Has anyone seen the Repp in stores yet? A friend of mine checked Walmart the other day but that wasn't one of the options locally. Makes me wonder if it's delayed a bit. As it sits, the 2gb/unl/unl plan with a national prepaid footprint beats even Pageplus.

--Droo, @Network
    I've seen the Repp, in store, $129.99 I believe. Not exactly an earth-shattering offering.

The 2GB plan "national footprint" is voice only. Data works only on native US Cellular coverage, making it a far less attractive offer IMHO.

Carriers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pabster View Post
    I've seen the Repp, in store, $129.99 I believe. Not exactly an earth-shattering offering.
    Thanks for the info. 129.99 for an Android phone without a contract isn't horrible. Admittedly an anemic 800mhz. I'd rather be able to use say, HTC Incredible, which I use on Pageplus, which is a decent 1ghz phone.

The 2GB plan "national footprint" is voice only. Data works only on native US Cellular coverage, making it a far less attractive offer IMHO.
    I don't read the map the same way you do. I read 'Standard Data Coverage' outside the HSAs, based on their maps, and 3G within HSA. As long as e-mails work, I'm not so sure it would matter. As far as I know, 3G Roaming has never been 'guaranteed', it's just been sort of a perk. I'd be interested to take a uPrepaid phone to Mass and see what happens, because I know my USCC postpaid phone works 3G there.

I admit that the data map looks confusing because if your contrast on your monitor is awful, the 'standard data coverage' area looks like No Coverage. They should've considered a different color or a darker shade of cyan.

--Droo, @Network

Phones
    iPhone 5 (Verizon)
    iPhone 5 (Verizon)
    iPhone 4S (T-Mo)
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by droobie View Post
    I admit that the data map looks confusing because if your contrast on your monitor is awful, the 'standard data coverage' area looks like No Coverage. They should've considered a different color or a darker shade of cyan.
    Yeah I just noticed that, actually. So I guess 1xRTT data in the rest. Guess it depends where you need it; Page has superior coverage and 3G speed most anywhere but their data rates suck, so this might be a better deal if you are in USCC 3G coverage. 1xRTT is p-a-i-n-f-u-l but if email is all you need, might suffice.

Carriers
    Feedback Score
    I'm not sure if it was brought up here but Verizon is doing 80$ unl/unl/1GB, which competes with Pageplus The 55 (55$/mo for same on Verizon's network) and UPrepaid 50 (unl/unl/2GB) quite poorly. You can use most any Verizon phone that isn't iPhone, Blackberry or a 4G phone on Pageplus as long as it's not blacklisted. Heck, you can use any CDMA phone, as long as you can reprogram it to see/work with Verizon's settings.

I do think that as this goes on, the regular cell carriers are going to have to restructure the way they do things. The newest phones and 'better customer service' won't be enough. For most of us, 4G doesn't really matter much either as long as it's not being used for calls.

I pay USCC about 170 a month for 4 lines on National 1000 Family (non-Belief 7p Nights), Messaging Unl, 5GB data (on one line), Insurance (on one line) and 3 dumbphones that use 10 min a month each. I could dump those 3 lines to Pageplus The 12 (250/250/10MB). Basically, 55 (Pageplus The 55), 3x12 (Pageplus the 12) = 91$/mo, 50 (UPrepaid unl/unl/2gb) for my smartphone would be 5$ less at 86$. That's a HUGE difference compared to 170.

When USCC's Suggestions/Survey folks called me the other day (after my rant to them about their recent data plan changes), I expressed a lot of thoughts about this. These 'perks' they claim for a 2 year contract are largely nonsense.

--Droo, @Network

Phones
    iPhone 5 (Verizon)
    iPhone 5 (Verizon)
    iPhone 4S (T-Mo)
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Yeah the 'perks' are a joke, but people are easy to fool. At the end of the day it is still about subsidized equipment, that is the primary factor. Folks just can't get over that "FREE" or very low cost new handset...

As I said Page is a superior offering but their data rates REALLY suck, on anything but "The 55" and that really needs more data as well. Forget about it on any of their other plans, the rates are egregious. (The fact they still charge for "Roaming" is a clue...)

I think uPrepaid could be a very competitive offering IF BYOD were allowed. Right now there are only 3 or 4 handsets and you must purchase the uPrepaid labeled one to use these plans. The offerings are quite weak in my humble opinion, although for someone who enjoys a "feature phone" they may suffice.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast