Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: uPrepaid

Carriers
    Back Again: US Cellular,
    Old and Busted: Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    The new USCC Prepaid program is more fascinating than uPrepaid is.. to me anyway. More phone choices, 2GB/unl/unl for 65/mo, nationwide (where it was regional before).

--Droo, @Network

Phones
    Droid MAXX
    Droid MAXX
    Carrier
    Big Red
    Feedback Score
    Did they open up the roaming? I thought you had to pay for minutes outside the USCC native area?

Anyway...

I decided to take the gamble on the uprepaid deal, bought the Repp at Walmart $129... here is my story...

Called to activate/port from Straight Talk... on hold for 38 minutes then a foreign rep answered, he knew what he was doing but the simple call still took 25min to complete. Issued a temp number said to call back the next day to complete the port.

Called back the next day, hold time was 45 minutes (Fun note the on hold message was touting LTE) this took another 20 minutes to complete the port.

So it works as good as a Rapp will work then last night I went 1x and would not go back 3g. I tried reprogramming, I did a full restore nothing will bring back 3g.

I live an hour from the closest Corporate store so I made the trek today, one way or another it would cost me a hour figured I would do it with a real live US human being.

She fiddled with my account online, pulled my battery, handed it back and said "It's because you are not in your home area" baffled at that response (seeing as how I was in a major city now) I decided she was not going to help me and went home.

So far I am not impressed to say the least. But not shocked or amazed either. One thing about ST is the stuff just worked if you had coverage, but I don't know where to turn without becoming more frustrated.

I asked if I could buy a Galaxy S2 and she said not on this plan I would have plunked down the $400 and taken this POS back. Oh well... prob just go to Page Plus at the end of the month

Redwood Valley, Northwestern California (Previous-Pocatello, Idaho(90-97)/Southern California(71-90)
    Phone
    HTC One M8/Samsung Galaxy Note 3/Nokia Lumia 521
    Carrier
    AT&T/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Phones
    Droid MAXX
    Droid MAXX
    Carrier
    Big Red
    Feedback Score
    My problem is Southwest Iowa... I live 7 miles from the "Verizon Hole"

I spent a lot of time in that hole and only 2 companies have native coverage, USCC and Chat Mobility (who does not have local coverage) http://d.pr/i/RaNi

Redwood Valley, Northwestern California (Previous-Pocatello, Idaho(90-97)/Southern California(71-90)
    Phone
    Carrier
    AT&T/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Oh, okay, yeah we have coverage here from AT&T, VZ, USCC, T-Mobile and Metro PCS (though Metro PCS is only in a tiny bit of the area, Redwood Valley and Ukiah south), though we're very rural, rugged and heavily forested (Mendocino County, Northwestern California), so coverage varies a lot depending on where you are in our two county market (RSA 344, Mendocino, Lake Counties. Lake County is similarly rural, forested and rugged).

Phones
    Motorola v323i-awesome!
    Motorola v323
    Retired: Motorola v262, v60i, Nokia 6360, 6161
    Carrier
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Huh...I'd never heard of this.

So it sounds like you DON'T get USCC service with this. Is this actually FROM USCC, or just an MVNO? Should coverage be the same as with a "normal" USCC plan?

Does the $40 or $50 for this (or for USCC's normal prepaid plan) include taxes and other random/fake charges?

Carrier
    U.S. Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Fake Charges? Most of the "Fake" Charges are governmental charges, like the USF fees.

You do get USCC or Alltel towers to my understanding, it's powered by USCC towers and the coverage maps are identical to USCC ones and if you go to signup online it takes you to a USCC webpage but this is probably some kind of vendor MVNO type deal where its sold through Walmart but run off USCC towers. Like a straight talk deal but off of USCC's network where they have towers and probably outsourced CS based on the previous posters comments.
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerwolf View Post
    Huh...I'd never heard of this.

So it sounds like you DON'T get USCC service with this. Is this actually FROM USCC, or just an MVNO? Should coverage be the same as with a "normal" USCC plan?

Does the $40 or $50 for this (or for USCC's normal prepaid plan) include taxes and other random/fake charges?

Phone
    Carrier
    AT&T/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I saw some a couple of the uPrepaid phones in our Walmart today (Ukiah, California), the prices seemed pretty comparable to the other prepaid phones, I forgot to check the rates and details though. We have USCC coverage here.

Edit-One was a regular, flip phone, the other was the Samsung Repp. Our Walmart doesn't have a Communication's Center, and the USCC Kiosk closed two years ago, so all they have now are prepaid phones and cards in Electronics.

Phone
    Carrier
    AT&T/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    http://www.uprepaid.net/system/offline

[top]System Unavailable

Sorry for the inconvenience, but the system is currently unavailable. Please try back at a later time.

Well, so much for checking their web site LOL

Phones
    Droid MAXX
    Droid MAXX
    Carrier
    Big Red
    Feedback Score
    Figured I would update my experience with Uprepaid...

1. ti ilvla2.... the site is down late at night for some reason, seeing as how you can't do anything from it I don't know why.

2. I called back during the day, twice now, and both times received a US based support rep who was very helpful without waiting on hold. Apparently the trick is to call during the day. First was to fix my 3g, the first person could not but transferred me to someone else. He could not either but knew the problem, he phoned someone and a few min later my 3g came on.

3. I am at the end of my month and went to set up auto-refill. This is not an option, neither is doing it online. After calling in today "The only way to refill is to buy a card at walmart" Not what I wanted to hear but I will live with it. You also can't simply buy a pin online, requires a physical card.

4. My cost was $53/mo with tax.

5. Roaming: I have not had any experience with Roaming yet... which is awesome since every other carrier in my area I would have gone places that required it. Judging by the map I will be fine but coverage in my town has been downright great.

6. Speed: Consistently pulling 2mb x 600k. I left USCC before their 3g network was online before so I can't compare but it's working great!

7. Phone: Oh the Repp... what a POS. I "Modified" a Droid Incredible and it worked great... trying to track down a Bad ESN S2 now but I can't complain.

In all I am very impressed with this "deal" The refill solution sucks, I have no idea where I am on data usage. I have tethered a few times where my VZW ipad will not work. I don't "abuse" but I do 'use" my data and it's been flawless. I think they rolled this out before having the back-end systems ready.

In all had USCC changed their own prepaid plans before I bought this I would have simply bought a S2 at retail and paid the $15/mo premium but otherwise for someone like me who changes phones as much as I do (and a little skill) it's a great plan. 2GB is plenty of data for my pandora habit and facebook.

So long as in areas like KC, MO if I can make calls and check facebook I will be happy... but IIRC postpaid is 1x there too.

Great Plan, Great Price. Phones suck.

Phones
    Samsung S4, iPhone 4
    Samsung S4
    iPhone, Electrify M, Samsung S3, Mesmerize
    Carriers
    USCC
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The Beet View Post
    Figured I would update my experience with Uprepaid...

3. I am at the end of my month and went to set up auto-refill. This is not an option, neither is doing it online. After calling in today "The only way to refill is to buy a card at walmart" Not what I wanted to hear but I will live with it. You also can't simply buy a pin online, requires a physical card.

The refill solution sucks
    I just signed up my father on uPrepaid a couple weeks ago. Just the cheap flip phone, he doesn't even know how to text. After registering online, we went to a Corporate USCC store and they set him on auto withdraw from his checking account on the 13th of every month.

Phones
    Motorola v323i-awesome!
    Motorola v323
    Retired: Motorola v262, v60i, Nokia 6360, 6161
    Carrier
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mjprel View Post
    I just signed up my father on uPrepaid a couple weeks ago. Just the cheap flip phone, he doesn't even know how to text. After registering online, we went to a Corporate USCC store and they set him on auto withdraw from his checking account on the 13th of every month.
    So that means this IS actually US Cellular?

Phone
    Samsung t409, Samsung Gravity TXT, and Nokia Lumia 710
    Carrier
    T-Mobile GSM/3G/4G/UMA (voice/text/data)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerwolf View Post
    So that means this IS actually US Cellular?
    Yes, it is run by US Cellular and ALLTEL.
    T-Mobile. Connecting you when you need it most... disconnecting you when you need to connect with God's beautiful creation! Service is great in cities and highways, but in rural areas they leave you with just your surroundings. I encourage you to get T-Mobile, disconnect for a while!

I am glad that God is not like cell phone coverage. He does not hide behind mountains or loose us down long windy roads. The Lord levels mountains, and He makes our paths straight!

Feedback Score
    I agree, lack of BYOD kills the deal.

For the $10 less ($55) one can go with Page Plus (Verizon's MVNO), get same Unl/Unl/2GB and BYOD - any Verizon non-prepaid phone.

This or $20 less ($45) choose ST/Net10 and Samsung Galaxy Proclaim that also runs on Verizon's network. (or any GSM BYOD)

Carriers
    Back Again: US Cellular,
    Old and Busted: Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ooompa View Post
    For the $10 less ($55) one can go with Page Plus (Verizon's MVNO), get same Unl/Unl/2GB and BYOD - any Verizon non-prepaid phone.
    SORTA... No 4G, iPhone or Blackberry devices either. You could conceivably use any CDMA phone as long as you can get the Verizon programming into it.

The only downside to the Pageplus situation is that they charge 29 cents a minute for roaming. I wish there were some way to just tell them to disable roaming entirely, similar to what Straighttalk has. Sometimes the phone just falls into US Cellular here and results in a 'no money' message.

--Droo, @Network

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast