Thread: IDEN Shutdown Will be Complete Before the End of 2012

Carriers
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score

IDEN Shutdown Will be Complete Before the End of 2012

I thought this wasn't supposed to be complete till the end of 2013.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...7&pageNumber=2

All of Sprint's radios for its narrowband iDEN service are on track to be shut down before the end of this year. Sprint is working at shifting over iDEN users to its 3G CDMA network and said it is happy with progress on that score. The popular push-to-talk feature of iDEN is being replaced by Direct Connect, which runs on 3G and now matches the original technology in call setup, latency and call success, according to Sprint. The company is also making Direct Connect available as software for integration into third-party applications.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    I thought this wasn't supposed to be complete till the end of 2013.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...7&pageNumber=2

All of Sprint's radios for its narrowband iDEN service are on track to be shut down before the end of this year. Sprint is working at shifting over iDEN users to its 3G CDMA network and said it is happy with progress on that score. The popular push-to-talk feature of iDEN is being replaced by Direct Connect, which runs on 3G and now matches the original technology in call setup, latency and call success, according to Sprint. The company is also making Direct Connect available as software for integration into third-party applications.
    Totally false information.Computerworld and the author Mr Lawson are as full of crap as a Christmas turkey.Sprint is also very well aware the latency,setup time and overall performance of Voip two way does not equal iden.Iden is being phased out but will run at least until mid 2013 probably later.Iden is and will always be the best PTT solution on the market too bad its interface was never updated.

Phones
    iPhone 4S
    Blitz
    Sprint Treo 755 (for sale or trade)
    Carriers
    AT&T
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pcsfan View Post
    Iden is and will always be the best PTT solution on the market too bad its interface was never updated.
    I have always wondered why Motorola never updated IDEN's air interface.

Carriers
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    They are just parroting whatever they are being told. Still if mid 2013 spells the end even that is faster than I had thought.

It'll be interesting how many companies just wholesale pack up and move elsewhere.

Totally false information.Computerworld and the author Mr Lawson are as full of crap as a Christmas turkey.Sprint is also very well aware the latency,setup time and overall performance of Voip two way does not equal iden.Iden is being phased out but will run at least until mid 2013 probably later.Iden is and will always be the best PTT solution on the market too bad its interface was never updated.

Feedback Score
    My sources say new dealer activations on Boost iden end as of June/July this year. New activations will still be allowed for users via customer service or online. The network will end for Boost iden on June/July 2013. This may change. My market is relatively unaffected as we are so small and isolated . Southern Linc is jumping off the wagon to give itself time for a phaseout. I will miss iden. There are no prepaid options for push to talk at this time that come close. Sorry for posting here but iden is shrinking so Nextel /iden /boost are one topic in a way ...

Phones
    Droid X
    i897 Ferrari
    i890
    Carrier
    Nextel
    Feedback Score
    Im crossing my fingers, rumor has it or from what ive herd NII holdings (which runs iden in south america for mexico, brazil, argentina and peru) might be taking over iden for north america but eh who knows how true that is. Still if there is a chance, im hopefull.

Phones
    Nokia N900
    iPhone 4s
    Nokia N900
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PwrdByKyank View Post
    Im crossing my fingers, rumor has it or from what ive herd NII holdings (which runs iden in south america for mexico, brazil, argentina and peru) might be taking over iden for north america but eh who knows how true that is. Still if there is a chance, im hopefull.
    ...and that^ makes the most sense...

Those that have followed some of my ramblings during the merger days may recall my belief that they coulda/shoulda converted or used spectrum dedicated just to direct connect and spun the whole thing (spectrum and all) back off to Motorola. The Bat Wing Boys could then continue to develop more capacity efficient codecs, produce iDEN systems on chips that could be added cheaply by any phone manufacturer, and then license use by the carriers or even individual subscribers.

Oh well.

I wonder how Boost will be handled then?

Phones
    Droid X
    i897 Ferrari
    i890
    Carrier
    Nextel
    Feedback Score
    yea not sure. Id assume if it does get taken over, then it would still operate as boost just owned by someone else, if not then just cdma boost i guess.

Feedback Score
    Hey guys,

New HoFo here!

I'm very interested in the current evolution of Sprint and it Network Vision. However, one thing keeps me awake at night...

What Sprint is going to do with all these iDEN base stations soon to be turned-off? Sell them to other iDEN operators around the workd? Sell them back to Motorola? Sell them to recyclers? Burry them or send them to the space?
    (What was the destiny of the iDEN equipment that has already been disconnected?)

Any light you could give me would be great, since I'm really curious about this and I have not found anything, yet.

Sorry if this is a stupid question... I'm not that tech savvy.

Feedback Score
    Hey PwrdByKyank,

Where did you read that rumor... That would be interesting.

Phones
    Droid X
    i897 Ferrari
    i890
    Carrier
    Nextel
    Feedback Score
    i was told from someone i know who deals with motorola and other harmony iden companies, but yea like stated before he told me its just a rumor thats been herd so ya who knows how much truth is behind it or if its just an idea they are actually working on but might not pull through? who knows, if it does that would be great lol if not then oh well all i know is either way im not staying with sprint, its a terrible network and full of problems.

Phones
    iPhone 4S
    Blitz
    Sprint Treo 755 (for sale or trade)
    Carriers
    AT&T
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Well, NII better move quick because they are dismantling the sites as we speak. Sprint has some 900MHz spectrum they can use. Meanwhile NII is moving to WCDMA based QChat in South America.

Phones
    Droid X
    i897 Ferrari
    i890
    Carrier
    Nextel
    Feedback Score
    im thinking if nii even does do it, they will probably only do some portions of the us, like for example west cost since CA and so froth have a lot of communication with mexico and bellow. Also since solinc is in the east coast i doubt they would want to go that area. Its funny though how NII headquarters is in USA but all their service is in south america

Feedback Score
    im thinking if nii even does do it, they will probably only do some portions of the us, like for example west cost since CA and so froth have a lot of communication with mexico and bellow. Also since solinc is in the east coast i doubt they would want to go that area. Its funny though how NII headquarters is in USA but all their service is in south america
    I'd say it's a pipedream longshot, even though its something I'd like to see happen. Some Nextel/Iden is better then NO Nextel iden but we'll see what happens. Time will tell. Doesn't look bright though. Still going to have fun swapping my Boost sims out though...

Phones
    I880
    I880
    Titanium i1x
    Carrier
    Boost
    Feedback Score
    Iden is and will always be the best PTT solution on the market too bad its interface was never updated.
    I agree they are killing the only network that was made for PTT and is hardware based in the phones! a software based PTT will be the worst idea ever again and they wont have the Iden network to go back too I don't know why they aquired Nextel? we can only hope some one will take control/buy it from sprint and save it.
    Sprint tried a PTT service before and it failed!!! The Nextel network started out as a PTT system only and was built from the ground up for that specific function! I used to use the PTT radios on their network before Nextel added phone service to the system, now they are pulling the plug on a network that was made primarily for PTT and try to use their phone network for PTT again when CDMA was not designed for this type of service that is why it failed the first time!! I see a lot of angry users and possibly another Class Action Lawsuit coming their way! I have a I1x that I paid the non-contract price for, purchased directly from Sprint to use it on Boost and Sprint did not tell me I would soon own a $400.00 paperweight! , this is a crock and they are going to burn a lot of people! Why are they are still selling the Iden phones?