Thread: Data Usage outside home zip code

Feedback Score

Data Usage outside home zip code

I read this on another forum regarding Straight Talk's android phones:

"Re: Samsung Galaxy Proclaim Postby Jessica_ST » Sat May 05, 2012 9:56 am Good day, bseverson. My name
    is Jessica_ST and I'll be addressing your concern. Yes, the Samsung Galaxy Proclaim will be available in two
    weeks and this will be powered by Verizon. All data features on the phone will work within your local zip code
    and it will also work outside your local zip code but with Wifi. You cannot use your data features on the phone
    without a Wifi outside local zip code. We hope this helps. Thank you. Jessica_ST Posts: 40 Joined: Fri Sep 03,
    2010 9:51 am."

Is this true? If I purchase a Straight Talk android phone, I can only use my data features within the zip code from which I set the phone up? I'd have to connect to a wifi network outside of my zip code? If I'm at work, I can't use the data features without connecting to a wifi network? This really very restrictive and kills much of the function of the phone....

Phones
    iPhone 5 (Verizon)
    iPhone 5 (Verizon)
    iPhone 4S (T-Mo)
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I don't quite understand their gibberish on the Proclaim either. Until a few folks manage to snag them and set them up here, then we'll know for sure. My guess is that you will be restricted to Verizon only, no roaming. That makes sense, just as previous Androids on Sprint had no roaming, either. I mean come on, how could they restrict your specific phone to coverage only in the zip code you enter at purchase?

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the reply. I couldn't believe it when I saw that post. I've seen a couple others as well, but you are right- until the phone comes out and folks use them... I can wait until June to purchase.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pabster View Post
    ...I mean come on, how could they restrict your specific phone to coverage only in the zip code you enter at purchase?
    I don't remember the mechanism used, but AirTouch, a Verizon legacy company, used to have plans that would restrict your service to specific geographical areas.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie_ryan View Post
    I read this on another forum regarding Straight Talk's android phones:

"Re: Samsung Galaxy Proclaim Postby Jessica_ST » Sat May 05, 2012 9:56 am Good day, bseverson. My name
    is Jessica_ST and I'll be addressing your concern. Yes, the Samsung Galaxy Proclaim will be available in two
    weeks and this will be powered by Verizon. All data features on the phone will work within your local zip code
    and it will also work outside your local zip code but with Wifi. You cannot use your data features on the phone
    without a Wifi outside local zip code. We hope this helps. Thank you. Jessica_ST Posts: 40 Joined: Fri Sep 03,
    2010 9:51 am."

Is this true? If I purchase a Straight Talk android phone, I can only use my data features within the zip code from which I set the phone up? I'd have to connect to a wifi network outside of my zip code? If I'm at work, I can't use the data features without connecting to a wifi network? This really very restrictive and kills much of the function of the phone....
    I saw that post to and called Straight Talk the other day. The rep. told me the phone was on the Sprint network and that data could be used anywhere I have service without resorting to wifi.

I told her I believe the information about Sprint was incorrect and that I believed it was on Verizon. She put me on hold and came back to tell me I was correct the phone was on the Verizon network. I then asked her again about the data and she said that data could be used anywhere I can get service.

Considering she was incorrect about the carrier I do not know whether to believe her about the data.

Carriers
    Gophone
    Feedback Score
    It should be a technical nightmare for trying to restrict you to a single tower, as usual, ST CSR's are reading from a script, and as you have noted, usually misinformed. I would imagine it to be on the native verizoncoverage which is pretty extensive, with no roaming outside the network. click on the link below for their native coverage. The data limits are something that we will know once the heavy users start getting kicked out, so this will take some time.

- Verizon uses only the Straight talk branded phones, no BYOD allowed. This is native coverage which means NO roaming allowed for these phones.
    http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/C...datacoverage4g

Feedback Score
    Thanks for all the replies. A rep contacted me and confirmed that the phone would work outside of my zip code as long as there was Verizon service. Not sure where the original poster on another forum got their information.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie_ryan View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. A rep contacted me and confirmed that the phone would work outside of my zip code as long as there was Verizon service. Not sure where the original poster on another forum got their information.
    The person providing that info was claiming to be a Straight Talk customer service rep in Straight Talks own forum.

Feedback Score
    Just got off the phone with a straight talk rep....after I asked her about having to use wifi outside my zip code she agreed that was the case. When I explained I was within 2-4 miles of other zip codes, she said that some areas don't have 3G coverage and wouldn't work there. Talking with her didn't give me a lot of confidence that she knew what she was saying.

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Bottom line, straight talk/net 10/Tracfone/Safelink aka America Movil csr's are puppets reading from a script and the people who monitor and read the posts on these forums are just as, if not more knowledgable than they are. When a Proclaim is activated, used, and reported on in these forums, well know what's up for sure..

Carriers
    Gophone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jciam43 View Post
    Just got off the phone with a straight talk rep....after I asked her about having to use wifi outside my zip code she agreed that was the case. When I explained I was within 2-4 miles of other zip codes, she said that some areas don't have 3G coverage and wouldn't work there. Talking with her didn't give me a lot of confidence that she knew what she was saying.
    And that is the reason we use HoFo.

Feedback Score
    Well I have a tmobile ST sim and I signed up in different zip code (95380) in california and have been in a different zip code (91343) for 2 months and no problems so far. I use data, mms, sms, voice all the time. So it shouldn't matter as long as ur in service area.