View Poll Results: ATT now requires monthly plans to keep data plans for Internet use. Is this Fair??

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, Protest to ATT..

7 28.00%
  • No, Switch Provicders..

14 56.00%
  • No, Do Nothing..

2 8.00%
  • Yes, It is fair..

2 8.00%

Thread: Eliminating Data Plan..

Feedback Score

Angry Eliminating Data Plan..

ATT just announced the elimination of data packages for prepaid plans that are not monthly contracts. This is quite expensive for the infrequent user. I currently pay 10 cents a minute voice and 10 cents a minute per text message. I also have a small data package for internet use. Now ATT wants me to upgrade to a $25.00 monthly plan to keep the data package. This is totally unfair. Your comments..

Carrier
    Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    AT&T should have never offered data so cheaply. It cannibalizes their other plans. No one else in the industry offers anything comparable. With that said, I think it's pretty unethical to market it, and then yank it away. They should have grandfathered in those who had it, and been more upfront and forewarning of its removal. If they had done that, I might still have respect and loyalty for AT&T. I certainly don't now. I hope AT&T did the math and considered the impact this might have outside their wireless business. I spend a lot of money on u-verse. I'm still a customer, but I certainly won't pitch any AT&T offerings to friends any more, and I certainly won't hesitate to jump to the next best thing when it arises.

Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier
    TMO Walmart Plan
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dgyee View Post
    ATT just announced the elimination of data packages for prepaid plans that are not monthly contracts. This is quite expensive for the infrequent user. I currently pay 10 cents a minute voice and 10 cents a minute per text message. I also have a small data package for internet use. Now ATT wants me to upgrade to a $25.00 monthly plan to keep the data package. This is totally unfair. Your comments..
    Just an FYI, in case you weren't aware, with AT&T PAYG, you are actually paying .20/message in/out. Over at T-Mobile, it is .10/.05 in/out.

Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier
    TMO Walmart Plan
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by KenSimone View Post
    AT&T should have never offered data so cheaply. It cannibalizes their other plans. No one else in the industry offers anything comparable. With that said, I think it's pretty unethical to market it, and then yank it away. They should have grandfathered in those who had it, and been more upfront and forewarning of its removal. If they had done that, I might still have respect and loyalty for AT&T. I certainly don't now. I hope AT&T did the math and considered the impact this might have outside their wireless business. I spend a lot of money on u-verse. I'm still a customer, but I certainly won't pitch any AT&T offerings to friends any more, and I certainly won't hesitate to jump to the next best thing when it arises.
    Now that they did this, beyond the fact that I'm totally pissed off at them for exactly the reasons stated, I'm actually kind of glad in a way. I was being ripped off with the text messages at .20 per, because every text conversation I had was at least $1, and I'm using less and less talk. So, I would cringe on text messages and I was watching my data useage like a hawk.

Now, with TMO I get unlimited text and data and I really do like not having to worry about it. I'm not crazy about paying $30/mo when I'm really not using that much in the way of services, but I have to admit, I like the freedom of not thinking about it anymore. It did become obsessive being frugal.

And, if I feel differently later on, I just go to the .10/min&text plan with switch to the Pay By The Day when I want data. So, no more money for AT&T and more for TMO.

Phone
    Optimus G
    Carrier
    Not Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    "Fair" is irrelevant. AT&T is a company providing a service for profit to customers who buy those services under their own free will. Nobody on a Go Phone plan is under contract and is free to leave at any time.

Personally, I think it shows continued indifference AT&T has always had to customers who are not traditional contract customers. They must not make enough off those customers to care, because they (pre-paid) customers have always been treated as second rate customers. To be fair the other major provider, VZW, is just as bad or worse when it comes to pre-paid customers.

Phone
    Optimus G
    Carrier
    Not Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    And also worth noting is even traditional contract customers with AT&T are treated like garbage in that they are also required to purchase things they don't want or need with their smartphone service. For post paid the lowest minute plan is 450 min for $40, + $20 for unlimited text (or 20 cents each) + the data plan. Don't use anywhere near 450 minutes a month? Too bad.

Feedback Score
    It's fair but the unannounced transition was handled very poorly.

Phones
    Unlocked Samsung Galaxy Nexus running Android 4.2.1. on AT&T Prepaid and wifi
    Previously used LG Thrive, LG Env2, & LG Chocolate 2 (VX8550)
    Carriers
    Using AT&T GoPhone 10 cent plan with no data. Its wifi only for me.
    Feedback Score
    I don't think AT&T removing data packages from GoPhone users with Smartphone is a good business move at all or fair for that matter especially since last April (2011) when AT&T introduced GoPhone branded smartphones with data in a promotion. And now they take it away. It's a bait and switch move. The protest part of this is simple, blog on it, talk about in forums and social media and keep your Smartphone on your current plan (10 cents per minute or $2/day) and just use it for voice and text along with wifi for data only. Or leave for a different carrier. I'm staying on 10 cents per minute until T-Mobile gets better coverage or Verizon wakes up to real non-monthly prepaid.

Phones
    Google Nexus
    Google Galaxy Nexus
    Incredible 2
    Carriers
    Net10 BYOD
    Feedback Score
    You said monthly plans with contract...I think that might be the wrong word?

Are there really no more go phone plans with data? Not that I'm staying....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using HowardForums
    Nexus or Bust!

Phones
    Nokia 2600,6010,3585i
    LG Optimus L9,iPhone 3GS & 4S,Palm Pixi Plus
    Samsung SGH-A437,SCH-i730,SGH-T419
    Carrier
    GoPhonex3 PagePlusx2 TMo2Go Tracfone Ptel
    Feedback Score
    1- April 17: at&t website, IVR system etc still advertise and sell 10c/min plan with data packages for smart phones up to $25/500MB good for 30 days. No indication of any coming changes taking effect the very next day,

2- April 18: at&t suddenly stops selling the advertised data packages for the 10c/min plan without notice to thousands of users

3- April 18 to today:
    a- Thousands of users keep receiving the regular advance notice that their automatic renewal will take effect in few days as usual.
    b- Few days later they wake up to find out that the data allocation has suddenly been zeroed out (data that had been already paid for) without previous notice and they get a text message indicating that the auto renewal has been removed WITHOUT PREVIOUS NOTICE.

I don't get how some people just qualify this as "unfair". To me that's a too small word for what at&t has being doing here.
    Last edited by Jairzinho; 05-10-2012 at 06:52 PM.
    Current:Former:
    Hi, my name is Jairzinho and I've been Wireless Contract-free for 14 years!

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    There is already a similar poll in this forum. It is sort of tardy to ring the fire bell after the house has burned down.
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...ill-you-do-now
    Earl F. Parrish

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jairzinho View Post
    1- April 17: at&t website, IVR system etc still advertise and sell 10c/min plan with data packages for smart phones up to $25/500MB good for 30 days. No indication of any coming changes taking effect the very next day,

2- April 18: at&t suddenly stops selling the advertised data packages for the 10c/min plan without notice to thousands of users

3- April 18 to today:
    a- Thousands of users keep receiving the regular advance notice that their automatic renewal will take effect in few days as usual.
    b- Few days later they wake up to find out that the data allocation has suddenly been zeroed out (data that had been already paid for) without previous notice and they get a text message indicating that the auto renewal has been removed WITHOUT PREVIOUS NOTICE.

I don't get how some people just qualify this as "unfair". To me that's a too small word for what at&t has being doing here.
    It would not be "unfair" if I hadn't just paid a non-refundable $100 deposit on the same account a month earlier. Now it's far more expensive that the competitors, they won't honor the old plan (I used the $2 per day plan since I don't call often), and of course won't refund