Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: AT&T Wireless Home Phone - Hardware by ZTE (WF720)

Phones
    iPhone 4S most often
    G SIII (white), HTC One X S720E CID: HTC_001 (UK) (white) & iPhone 4S 32GB Factory Unlocked (white)
    Backups: Nokia E71-1 (white) & LG A165
    Carriers
    at&t
    AIS Thailand
    Feedback Score

AT&T Wireless Home Phone - Hardware by ZTE (WF720)

I was at my at&t store yesterday and they are pushing this small unit which connects to the at&t cell network and into which you can plug in a regular phone (analog home phone).

The service is $10/ month line add-on to share into the plan's minutes in that line or $20/ month unlimited.

Has anyone gotten this already? The WF720 has a SIM card. What happens if you take that SIM and stick into a cellphone?

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Don't have it but probably uses IMEI checking to make sure you don't use a cell phone.

Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rf12 View Post
    I was at my at&t store yesterday and they are pushing this small unit which connects to the at&t cell network and into which you can plug in a regular phone (analog home phone).

The service is $10/ month line add-on to share into the plan's minutes in that line or $20/ month unlimited.

Has anyone gotten this already? The WF720 has a SIM card. What happens if you take that SIM and stick into a cellphone?
    Avoid the extra $10 per month charge for the extra line and just use a home cell phone dock like the one at http://www.phonelabs.com/prd05.asp

Name:  prd_dock01.jpg
Views: 14945
Size:  7.2 KB

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I have the XLink device, http://www.myxlink.com, which does the same thing and it's around $80 at Amazon.com. Basically, you can bluetooth up to 3 cellphones to it and either connect it to a phone or if you don't have landline service, connect it into the phone wiring in your home and use regular wired phones plugged into any phone jack with your cellphone. We use with a ZTE/ATT F160 and a Pantech Breeze II. The Xlink is also configurable and upgradeable using XWizard software, a free download.

When I'm home and I get a call, I don't have to run looking for my cellphone, I can just pick up any phone plugged into any phone jack around the house and if I need to make a all, just pick up a phone. It can be used to replace your landline with a cellphone, and also has Skype support.

If you disconnect your landline, the Xlink pays for itself in a couple of months.

Check it out.

Phone
    iPhone 4S 64GB, Moto G, SGS III
    Carrier
    MSV 10GB 4 lines
    Feedback Score
    There's Bluetooth cordless phones that are all integrated.

This thing is a rip-off. Ooma is like $3/mo for crystal clear VOIP, as opposed to $20/mo for decent AT&T service.
    I usually support government regulation, but It is unfortunate that the government over-regulated and killed the AT&T/ T-Mobile Merger
    The best explanation of the pricing nutiness in the industry.
    Why Sprint and T-Mo will always suck.
    The only way to end the pricing insanity is to eliminate contracts and subsidies.
    I want Wifi calling on AT&T.
    If you text while driving, you're an idiot. End of story.

Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    1- To Confirm, the SIM is locked to the device, so no cheating by putting into a cellphone.

Everything has its pros and cons. Not saying by any stretch this service is good for the average joe...but it's not useless as an offering either. It is a niche market item by far for customers looking for a non-copper line based "home phone" experience, for whatever reason they have (and there are several valid ones).

1) Getting a cellphone line and just letting it let there bluetoothed to a newer enabled cordless system is definitely the easiest way to make "cell calls" over a cordless phone. The upside is not dependent on a broadband internet connection. The downsides to using this as a permanent system is special newer cordless phone is required. Secondly, your only option is a normal cell plan so no cheap unlimited calls.

2) Cheap VOIP services are just that - cheap - and can be great quality and reliability. The main issue here is these are connected to your broadband internet connection. This presents itself as an issue for permanent "home phone-like" setups because no power = no phone. Both setups using cell coverage at least have a few hours off a backup battery.

3) The "Wireless Home Phone" is a combo of the two. You get cell coverage used instead of a wired broadband connection. Has the ability to keep using any phone you already have so no complicated bluetooth-linking, etc. You also have the choice of a cell-plan addon or a middle-price unlimited option (cheaper than cell-unlimited plans, more expensive than VOIP). This is only being marketed in areas where AT&T is not the incumbent landline carrier but has very solid cell coverage so "AT&T coverage sucks in my area" isn't really a con to the system.
    My opinions are my own and do not reflect the opinions of my employer AT&T.

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FormerRuling View Post
    1- To Confirm, the SIM is locked to the device, so no cheating by putting into a cellphone.

Everything has its pros and cons. Not saying by any stretch this service is good for the average joe...but it's not useless as an offering either. It is a niche market item by far for customers looking for a non-copper line based "home phone" experience, for whatever reason they have (and there are several valid ones).

1) Getting a cellphone line and just letting it let there bluetoothed to a newer enabled cordless system is definitely the easiest way to make "cell calls" over a cordless phone. The upside is not dependent on a broadband internet connection. The downsides to using this as a permanent system is special newer cordless phone is required. Secondly, your only option is a normal cell plan so no cheap unlimited calls.

2) Cheap VOIP services are just that - cheap - and can be great quality and reliability. The main issue here is these are connected to your broadband internet connection. This presents itself as an issue for permanent "home phone-like" setups because no power = no phone. Both setups using cell coverage at least have a few hours off a backup battery.

3) The "Wireless Home Phone" is a combo of the two. You get cell coverage used instead of a wired broadband connection. Has the ability to keep using any phone you already have so no complicated bluetooth-linking, etc. You also have the choice of a cell-plan addon or a middle-price unlimited option (cheaper than cell-unlimited plans, more expensive than VOIP). This is only being marketed in areas where AT&T is not the incumbent landline carrier but has very solid cell coverage so "AT&T coverage sucks in my area" isn't really a con to the system.
    Using the XLink, I can make and answer cell calls from any phone in the house like when I had a landline. The advantages I find to this are if someone calls me on the cell phone, I don't have to remember where I left it or go running from one end of the house to the other to answer the phone. I have a couple of places in my house where I don't get good signal strength and using the Xlink, I can put the phone in a good signal strength area and make calls from any room. I also find landline handsets easier to talk on than small cell phones.

The Xlink has some disadvantages of course, but I've found workarounds for most of them and it has some quirks, mainly a delay when I make and receive a call but other than that, it has made the transition from landline to cell only so much easier.

Phone
    Carrier
    MSV 10GB 4 lines
    Feedback Score
    As for power outages, you could just use your cell phone.

And Ooma has the best sound quality in the industry, far better than any cell-based system will.

Feedback Score
    Hi to all
    I have this question for this device. Is possible to use a prepaid sim card with this device. Like gophone or airvoice. I ask because my idea is to use my gophone sim the regular sim not the locked one and use this device for a landline. When I travel remove the sim card and use in a cell phone. Another question, is possible to move the device from one state to another state and keep the same number? Thanks with any idea.

Ps. This is my mother landline number. She barely use a cell phone and stay more time in her house.
    Last edited by jack2000; 11-25-2012 at 01:53 PM.

Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    To answer the new question - You cannot simply pop a SIM out of a cellphone line into the device and it work. Only the SIM actually attached to the WHP line in the system will allow the WHP to connect to the network. As mentioned previously the only SIMs they will activate on the WHP for you are the device-locked SIMs to prevent you can popping it back into a cellphone.

As for the second question - Yes you can move the device anywhere within AT&T's US network just like a Cellphone and it'll still connect and work.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info.

Feedback Score
    I just ported my home phone over to this device. $20.00 beats $45.00 a month and it has a built in battery backup. I live in an AT&T home phone area but had no problem porting over. Seems good so far, but I have a cell tower at the end of my street.

Feedback Score
    Hi, to all in the forum.

Right now I have a Wireless Home Phone with the $19.99 plan and iPhone with the $39.99 plan. I would like to change this 2 line to a Family plan, but I need to change the Wireless Home Phone to a Basic phone, and use that line when I travel that line is my Mom line, but when I return from my vacation insert the SIM card in the Home Phone and use that line like a regular phone. Is possible to share the SIM card between a Basic Phone and the Home Phone?

Thanks with any idea.

Phone
    Carrier
    MSV 10GB 4 lines
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jack2000 View Post
    Hi, to all in the forum.

Right now I have a Wireless Home Phone with the $19.99 plan and iPhone with the $39.99 plan. I would like to change this 2 line to a Family plan, but I need to change the Wireless Home Phone to a Basic phone, and use that line when I travel that line is my Mom line, but when I return from my vacation insert the SIM card in the Home Phone and use that line like a regular phone. Is possible to share the SIM card between a Basic Phone and the Home Phone?

Thanks with any idea.
    Read the rest of the thread. It clearly says the device and SIM are locked.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

AT&T Wireless Home Phone - Hardware by ZTE (WF720)

Can this device be added to a Mobile Share plan? If so, what is the monthly cost?

Can it be used with a MicroCell?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast