Thread: iMessage not working on iPhone 3GS iOS 5.1 with Straight Talk. Normal?

Feedback Score

iMessage not working on iPhone 3GS iOS 5.1 with Straight Talk. Normal?

Hello. I can use MMS and data with the $45/month Straight Talk plan, but I can't get iMessage to work, even though I'm all set up for it in the Settings and have an iCloud account.

Does iMessage just not work with a 3GS running 5.1 with ST?

(And by the way, I had the phone jailbroken and iMessage wouldn't work. Now it is not jailbroken, and iMessage still doesn't work for me.)

Thanks.

Carriers
    Straight Talk (ATT SIM)
    Feedback Score
    It works on the 3GS 5.1 do you have it enabled in settings and to send to both your phone number and email used with your account? Also the person you are Messaging must have an iPhone running iOS 5 with their email and phone number put in. If you have mms working it seems easier to text because you will need data to send an iMessage.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aviavi View Post
    Hello. I can use MMS and data with the $45/month Straight Talk plan, but I can't get iMessage to work, even though I'm all set up for it in the Settings and have an iCloud account.

Does iMessage just not work with a 3GS running 5.1 with ST?

(And by the way, I had the phone jailbroken and iMessage wouldn't work. Now it is not jailbroken, and iMessage still doesn't work for me.)

Thanks.
    It doesn't matter if you're jailbroken or not or whether you use AT&T, Straight, or have NO SIM inside after you setup iMessage - iMessage works over Data (3G or WiFi).

You can definitely get it to work, but why in the world would you want to use it???
    iMessage is the crappiest worst way of messaging and it's lousy in terms of security, reliability, and delivery.

I can go on and on about how bad iMessage is and why everyone should AVOID it at all costs but here are some examples:
    Apple's server doesn't hold your messages like other servers or like texting servers...meaning if you're in a no coverage area or weak coverage area - chances are you won't getting your messages. Basically, if you're talking to someone on iMessage always keep in mind that messages are not guaranteed to be sent/received/read/etc.

iMessage invades your SMS capabilities and hijacks your texting # as a whole!
    There are horror stories of people using iMessage and later changing phones or selling their iPhone - only to realize later that the messages are still going to that device. To make matters worse, you can pop in a friend's sim card in your iPhone for 2 minutes and register his # on there and all the sudden you have stolen his texting privileges with other iPhone users altogether.

If a thief gets a hold of your iPhone, with regular texting you can just shut down your service and the thief won't get your service, but with iMessages the thief is now carrying converastions with all your friends and family. Apple is aware of all these bugs and I've spoken to them numerous times and they claim it's in still in Beta testing and they have no control over which # is associated on iMessage with the phones.

If you decide to use iMessage and later shut it off, people will still see you as "Blue" and they will be sending messages to themselves...messages that you will never receive nor even know were sent. Even if you initiate a text to them which is in GREEN for you, if they respond it will still be in BLUE...pretty crazy right?
    Luckily, your iMessage isn't working and you should keep it that way.
    You should also disable the stock FaceTime that comes on that iOS as it's flawed in security as well and it's better to just use app's that will actually allow you to do FaceTime over 3G as well and not be restricted to only WiFi.

My recommendations for communication needs on the iPhone:

Instant Messaging: Regular SMS, WhatsApp, Viber, Facebook, Skype (messages on Skype will always arrive but the App times out in the background and messages are indeed late, but as long as messages aren't lost in space then it doesn't suffer the same limitations as the disastrous iMessage).

Sending Pictures/Videos: Regular MMS, WhatsApp, Viber (only pictures), and Email. WhatsApp and Email allow bigger files to be sent such as videos that can't be sent using MMS.

FaceTime: Skype, Tango (Tango is # based, while Skype is username)
    Calls over 3G/WiFi: Talkatone, Viber, Tango, Skype.

Hope this helps and remember to stay far away from the built-in FaceTime and iMessage found on iOS 5 and above!

Feedback Score
    I am having the exact same issues with iMessage and straight talk. I have an iPhone 3GS jailbroken with 5.1 os.
    I just noticed this issue about a week ago.
    Here's what I have figured out:
    No issues if I put in airplane mode and turn on wifi restricting ST signal.
    When iMessage does not work, either does my email client. All other apps that require data like safari or maps, work just fine. Its like iMessage and email work through the same port and ST is limited on that port at times.
    Let's work together to solve this. I will keep posting what I find.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    I suspect this is related to the data issue that's been going on now for about 3 weeks. My iMessage has been non functional or slow for several weeks, as with my web browsing.

Feedback Score
    My daughters iPhone 4 on ST was having issues with iMessage, after searching the apple forums I found a suggestion to connect to wifi and change the dns servers in the network settings to googles (8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4) and delete all other ones listed. Rebooted the phone and iMessage works fine now on wifi and 3G. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgf View Post
    My daughters iPhone 4 on ST was having issues with iMessage, after searching the apple forums I found a suggestion to connect to wifi and change the dns servers in the network settings to googles (8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4) and delete all other ones listed. Rebooted the phone and iMessage works fine now on wifi and 3G. Hope this helps.

The problem is you don't have DNS servers on 3G, so that would have no bearing as to resolving the issue when not on WiFi

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by getyup View Post
    The problem is you don't have DNS servers on 3G, so that would have no bearing as to resolving the issue when not on WiFi
    All I know is I tried restarting the phone a few times, switching airplane mode on and off and resetting the apn via unlockit.co.nz and it didn't work until I made the change to the dns servers. Could be a coincidence I guess.

Feedback Score
    Mine wasn't working but I just re activated my iMessage and now it works perfectly. Try resetting iMessage