Thread: SIM or Micro SIM for unlocked Galaxy Nexus GSM

Feedback Score

SIM or Micro SIM for unlocked Galaxy Nexus GSM

For the Galaxy Nexus GSM for the Straight Talk plan, does one need to get SIM or Micro SIM card?

Phones
    Blackberry Bold 9780
    HTC Desire
    Optimus Black
    Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Regular-sized SIM.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using HowardForums

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Regular SIM, but you can use a micro SIM in an adapter for future phone compatibility.
    Nexus 5 rooted with ST AT&T LTE SIM & full Google Voice integration

Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GTwannabe View Post
    Regular SIM, but you can use a micro SIM in an adapter for future phone compatibility.
    If I order a ATT microSIM from ST, does it come with an adapter for the microSIM. If not, do I have to buy an adapter separately?
    If so, where?

Carrier
    USCC
    Feedback Score
    I use my micro sim WITHOUT an adapter in my Gnex all the time....no issues. The sim tray is tight enough to hold it in place.
    USCC SCH-i500 JT's VGB6 & JT's Kernel3

"Call me big daddy when you back that app up"

Carrier
    USCC
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dsam View Post
    If I order a ATT microSIM from ST, does it come with an adapter for the microSIM. If not, do I have to buy an adapter separately?
    If so, where?
    The micro sim doesn't come with an adapter. Like I said in my last post, you dont really need one. In fact, I had an adapter that I had been using with my Nexus S and it wouldn't fit in the Gnex.

Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophos1 View Post
    The micro sim doesn't come with an adapter. Like I said in my last post, you dont really need one. In fact, I had an adapter that I had been using with my Nexus S and it wouldn't fit in the Gnex.
    My question was in response to GTwannabe's answer (see above) where he suggested a microSIM in an adapter for Galaxy Nexus so that it can be used in a future phone that only takes a microSIM.
    Are you saying I can use either a reg SIM or microSIM in a Galaxy Nexus. The reason I am asking this is because when I try to purchase a SIM card at ST, it gives me a choice between reg SIM and microSIM and says it depends on the phone which SIM it will take.
    If I get a reg sized SIM for the Galaxy nexus now and I change the phone in a year or two and the new phone only takes a microSIM, I assume I have to purchase a new microSIM and my phone number would change.

Am I right?

Carrier
    USCC
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dsam View Post
    My question was in response to GTwannabe's answer (see above) where he suggested a microSIM in an adapter for Galaxy Nexus so that it can be used in a future phone that only takes a microSIM.
    Are you saying I can use either a reg SIM or microSIM in a Galaxy Nexus. The reason I am asking this is because when I try to purchase a SIM card at ST, it gives me a choice between reg SIM and microSIM and says it depends on the phone which SIM it will take.
    If I get a reg sized SIM for the Galaxy nexus now and I change the phone in a year or two and the new phone only takes a microSIM, I assume I have to purchase a new microSIM and my phone number would change.

Am I right?
    No.

1) The Galaxy Nexus TECHNICALLY take a regular sim. You can position a micro sim in the sim tray (or use an adapter) so that a micro sim works in the Galaxy Nexus.

2) You can order a new sim without changing your phone number.

3) You can buy a sim cutter (I bought one for $5.99 with free shipping on amazon) to trim a regular sim to be micro, and you can buy a sim adapter (even cheaper) to fit a micro sim in a regular sim tray. So, you really aren't "stuck" if you choose the wrong size sim.

I started with a regular size sim and cut it to a micro sim to use in an iPhone 4s then later I switched to a Galaxy Nexus and I am still using the micro sim. Here is a picture of the micro sim in the Galaxy Nexus sim tray:

Cheers

Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophos1 View Post
    No.

1) The Galaxy Nexus TECHNICALLY take a regular sim. You can position a micro sim in the sim tray (or use an adapter) so that a micro sim works in the Galaxy Nexus.

2) You can order a new sim without changing your phone number.

3) You can buy a sim cutter (I bought one for $5.99 with free shipping on amazon) to trim a regular sim to be micro, and you can buy a sim adapter (even cheaper) to fit a micro sim in a regular sim tray. So, you really aren't "stuck" if you choose the wrong size sim.

I started with a regular size sim and cut it to a micro sim to use in an iPhone 4s then later I switched to a Galaxy Nexus and I am still using the micro sim. Here is a picture of the micro sim in the Galaxy Nexus sim tray:

Cheers

thanks.
    Good to know that any sized SIM can be used in any phone with a little effort/cost

Phone
    Apple iPhone 4, 3G
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    I just got my nexus. I tried several times using a plastic adaptor=no good, then I bought a hard plastic adaptor. I am using my nexus for the first time. And the second screen keeps telling me the sim isn't recognized. And to power off, re insert sim?

Perhaps I need to do the phones set up first? Then maybe it will recognize the micro sim/adapter?

Thanks
    Fido. iPhone5 (unlocked)

Phones
    Nexus 5
    NEXUS 5
    Samsung Note III
    Carriers
    AT&T GoPhone
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I bought the Gnex and a regular size ST sim card for it. Did not work for me so i sold the phone. I recently bought the S3 which takes a micro sim. I just used a pair of scissors and cut the regular ST sim down to micro size. Guess i lucked out cause it worked 100%
    With VZW........BAD network where i live and work!
    Changed to ATT..........

Carriers
    Cricket (formerly AIO)
    StraightTalk (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    I bought the sim cutter on ebay too last year got a regular size ST sim , cut it and been using it on my iphone4 for 1yr + now got a Gnex and got 1 of the adapters and popped it in simple easy and it works.
    Now I can go back and forth from iphone to gnex =)
    *Currently* on AIO/Cricket now "If you need a Referral I am happy to help"

GoPhone

Secondary Phone: Unlocked HTC One w/ StraightTalk ( testing both SIMs, ATT & Tmo )

Phone
    Apple iPhone 4, 3G
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Have to send my galaxy back for refund. Sim reader isn't working. DOA.

Phone
    Atrix/Skyrocket/R455C/Samsung Jack
    Carrier
    GoPhone LTE
    Feedback Score
    thats so sad. that kinda stuff happens to me all the time. really no way to test the sim slot while you are troubleshooting except trail and error and lots of time and effort. if something goes wrong with my stuff thats how it happens.