Thread: Nokia N8?? Does it need a data plan??? NEED HELP

Feedback Score

Nokia N8?? Does it need a data plan??? NEED HELP

Hey guys,
    I'm looking to buy my mom a good phone for mother's day. She really needs a new phone and loves to take pictures. SO I saw the Nokia N8 was a perfect fit; however, I'm curious does it need a data plan? She doesnt want a data plan. I keep reading that some people don't have a data plan and are able to use it. Please help
    if it does require a data plan, can anyone recommend me a non smartphone that takes really good pictures.

Phones
    nexus 4
    NEXUS 4 / N900
    xperia pro mk16i silver & mk16a black
    Carriers
    T-MOBILE USA
    GLOBE
    Feedback Score
    No phone need a data plan in order to work (rip sidekick). Carriers entice people by saying you need one to get more money and make you think you save more because it's subsidized. Opt out a data plan if you want to. Wifi is an alternative.

N8 was the best camera phone before nokia 808. Nokia phones with carl zeiss optics are top notch when it comes to photo quality from a camera phone. Better if not the best compared to other phone brands in this category.

Phones
    iPhone 4
    Samsung Galaxy S
    HTC G2
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Is it for sure you do not need a data plan for the n8 for at&t was thinking of getting this for my dad. Anyone with a n8 using it for att?

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    In the GoPhone Forum, people have been reporting that the Nokia N8 and N9 no longer can use data on a pay per use basis or with the unlimited $50 GoPhone plan. This indicates that the phone is recognized as a smartphone. There probably are not enough being used on contract accounts to make it worthwhile to enforce the rules. It remains to be seen what will happen.
    Earl F. Parrish

Phones
    NOKIA Lumia 1520, NOKIA Lumia 920 (wife's phone, NOW)
    NOKIA N8 (silver, unlocked) SOLD !
    NOKIA E71 (unlocked) LUV'd that phone
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    using an N8 on AT&T for about the last year. It does NOT (as of this writing) show as a smartphone & consequently does NOT need a data plan.
    That being said, the 'rents can set the phone up on WiFi (w NO data plan) and use (previously downloaded on WiFi) OFFLINE Nokia maps for GPS Navigation. However, I pay $10. month for unlimited (dumbphone) data on a Family plan which will further enhance the N8 functionality. YMMV
    informed/intelligent comments are welcome ... BS - not so much ...

peace,
    ROK

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ROKstrr View Post
    using an N8 on AT&T for about the last year. It does NOT (as of this writing) show as a smartphone & consequently does NOT need a data plan.
    That being said, the 'rents can set the phone up on WiFi (w NO data plan) and use (previously downloaded on WiFi) OFFLINE Nokia maps for GPS Navigation. However, I pay $10. month for unlimited (dumbphone) data on a Family plan which will further enhance the N8 functionality. YMMV

Is this still the case? I'm considering upgrading from my Nokia C3 GoPhone (with regular plan) to a N8.

Phones
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by marker227 View Post
    Is this still the case? I'm considering upgrading from my Nokia C3 GoPhone (with regular plan) to a N8.
    Switched to a Lumia 920 in November , but, up until I switched was still using only "$10. month for unlimited (dumbphone) data on a Family plan ". NO message, NO Data plan added with a Nokia N8 & the camera is the real deal (for that vintage phone), better than most point & shoot cameras.
    I really miss the data (@ $10 month) had to upgrade to 3gig @ $30 month for the Lumia !!

Phones
    N9 & N8
    N9 & N8
    N95-3 (backup)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I'm still using both the N9 and the N8 on the $10 data plan. No issues and I have had my N8 for over 2 years.

Phones
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Thus based on my (& Demati's) input, you should NOT require a data plan for the N8. However, @ $15 ($10. on family plan) per month for unlimited data, that's a steal.
    With an unlimited data plan, your mom could (automatically) upload her pix to dropbox, or any of the photo sharing sites, (don't remember what's available for symbian) a viable backup of her precious photos.