Thread: for the Walmart $30-5G/mon prepaid plan, can I use a t-mobile off contract hotspot?

Phones
    Galaxy Nexus, HTC HD2, Photon 4G
    Galaxy Nexus
    Feedback Score

for the Walmart $30-5G/mon prepaid plan, can I use a t-mobile off contract hotspot?

such as the MF61? Do I just put the simcard in and off I go or is this not allowed?

thanks!

Phone
    Nexus 5
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    It not allowed. If it's a T-Mobile branded device, I think they will pick up on it pretty fast and shut you down. Though, I do believe there have been posts about people picking up non-T-Mobile branded (but still AWS bands) hotspots or PC adapters and getting it too work.

Phones
    Galaxy Nexus, HTC HD2, Photon 4G
    Galaxy Nexus
    Feedback Score
    can you give me some examples of hotspots that would work with AWS and not t-mobile branded? thx!

Phone
    Motorola StarTAC, 1st gen iPhone 16GB
    Carrier
    Page Plus & KTC PACE Cellular
    Feedback Score
    T-mobile branded AWS dumb phone should work with this plan. I tether my TM506 to a laptop via bluetooth and/or USB cable. My TM506 also works with craddlepoint hotspots like the PHS300. Batterylife is horrible, but it accomplishes the hotspot objective.

I'll point out that t-mobile seems to be filtering common desktop browsers these days (while tethering or using hotspot). Firefox, Chrome, and IE all get redirected to a hotspot upsell page. Opera seems unaffected. Putting all your traffic into a VPN of some kind helps too.

Phone
    iPhone 5s, Nexus 5, Note 3, GS4
    Carrier
    T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    My unlocked Galaxy Nexus works perfect as a hotspot. The only annoyance is the upsale page every once in a while. Easily fixed by changing the user agent on your computer.
    Verizon Wireless 20Mhz FDD LTE

Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.2; en-us; LG-P509 Build/FRG83G) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1 MMS/LG-Android-MMS-V1.0/1.2)

They will be launching a Hotspot add-on for prepaid smartphone users in the next few weeks. $15 just like postpaid. I think it's part of the new prepaid options launching May 21.
    Last edited by mar11974; 05-12-2012 at 08:33 PM.

Carrier
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mar11974 View Post
    They will be launching a Hotspot add-on for prepaid smartphone users in the next few weeks. $15 just like postpaid. I think it's part of the new prepaid options launching May 21.
    What kind of prepaid options are they planning to launch? Any goodies? Will the prepaid prices remain the same?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mobilebuddha View Post
    such as the MF61? Do I just put the simcard in and off I go or is this not allowed?
    I tried activating a SIM on the $30-5G plan in an MF61 but it was a no-go, I got a popup saying that I needed to select a mobile broadband plan (I guess it was the IMEI that gave me away.) Not sure what would happen if you activated the $30-5G plan in a phone and then transferred that SIM to an MF61...

Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    You can get a TMO hotspot or broadband device working "somewhat" with the $30 Walmart plan... but it's truly a PITA and not worth messing with IMO. Search the forums for Walmart $30 plan and Rocket 4G to find out how.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using HowardForums
    Joplin T-Mobile

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nocaps View Post
    I tried activating a SIM on the $30-5G plan in an MF61 but it was a no-go, I got a popup saying that I needed to select a mobile broadband plan (I guess it was the IMEI that gave me away.)
    You're right, the IMEI gives you away. Just get a phone that has hotspot built in and use that.

Phones
    Motorola M800 Portable Phone
    Sprint Sanyo SCP-7050
    Samsung Galaxy Note SGH-I717
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joplin T-Mobile View Post
    You can get a TMO hotspot or broadband device working "somewhat" with the $30 Walmart plan... but it's truly a PITA and not worth messing with IMO. Search the forums for Walmart $30 plan and Rocket 4G to find out how.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using HowardForums
    Wow I didn't know that would work, my only way that works is with an unlocked zoom modem. However when plugged into my cradlepoint they catch that and lock me down.
    I'm a weird bird. My unlimited unthrottled AT&T LTE iPad SIM sits inside a smartphone that can't make calls. I carry one of a variety of prepaid dumbphones with me linked to a single number with Google Voice.