Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

Switch from CDMA to GSM keep same iPhone...

I am currently a Android user and I am now out of contract with Sprint. I am also dying to get an iPhone...BUT.. Sprints 3G is pretty bad.

Ive tossed around the idea of getting a used iPhone to try out Sprints 3G and wait it out to see if it get better by the time the iPhone5 is released and then at that point using my upgrade, or just totally jumping ship to ATT.

My question is can I take a Sprint iPhone to ATT?

AND

If I decide to leave Sprint, Would it be best to wait and pick up a subsidized iPhone5 on ATT?

Feedback Score

Switch From CDMA To GSM Keep Same iPhone...

No, unless iPhone has gone to a world phone, which is BOTH GSM and CDMA, the two technologies are incompatible with one another. As I understand it here in the US, AT&T and T-Mobile are GSM; Verizon and Sprint are CDMA.

Phones
    iPhone 5 16GB
    iPhone 5 32GB (wife)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1) No. Though the iPhone 4S supports both CDMA and GSM, Sprint won't allow the phone to be unlocked to work on a domestic GSM carrier.

2) Wait for next iPhone (probably coming out in October, as a guess).

Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
    1) No. Though the iPhone 4S supports both CDMA and GSM, Sprint won't allow the phone to be unlocked to work on a domestic GSM carrier.

2) Wait for next iPhone (probably coming out in October, as a guess).
    Thats what I thought... what a scam..

Lets pretend I am a optimist.. Would it be a good idea to pick up a used 4S for Sprint now and see/hope/pray if the network gets better and then use my upgrade for the 5? Or should I just jump to ATT in Oct for the 5?

Carriers
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    iPhone 5 should support LTE, so take that into consideration when deciding on both the phone and network. I'd wait.

Phones
    iPhone 5 16GB
    iPhone 5 32GB (wife)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    If you're okay with buying a used iPhone 4S for what may be short term use, then go for it. It sounds like you really want an iPhone. Doesn't everyone?

I think you already know this, but as a reminder:
    You have to buy a used iPhone 4S that was designated as a Sprint model. If not, the MEID won't be in Sprint's data base, and they will refuse to activate it. Probably also worthwhile to verify that Sprint considers the MEID good before paying anyone.

Phones
    iPhone 5 16GB
    iPhone 5 32GB (wife)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ALSHugh View Post
    iPhone 5 should support LTE, so take that into consideration when deciding on both the phone and network. I'd wait.
    That, of course, is the wisest, most economical advice. You're no fun at all.

Carriers
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
    That, of course, is the wisest, most economical advice. You're no fun at all.
    Lol, well it is true.

Feedback Score
    Sprint iPhone 4S can be unlocked using Gevey Ultra S sim, but it requires IOS 5.0.1, jailbreak, and only works with basebands 1.0.11, 1.013, and 1.0.14, so if the phone has been updated to 5.1 or higher you're out of luck, because even though you can now downgrade the 4S to 5.0.1, you can't downgrade the baseband. If you buy an Sprint iPhone 4S today, you might get lucky with it still having IOS 5.0.1 and the required basebands for Gevey sim, but the AT&T version can be unlocked either officially or with Gevey Ultra S sim, and it currently supports all basebands and IOS versions without jailbreak.

Carriers
    WIND Mobile (09/2010-present)
    Bell 05/2005-08/2006, Virgin Mobile Canada 08/2006-11/2009, Fido 11/2009-09/2010
    Feedback Score
    You may just be able to do a trade on HoFo or Craigslist for the right version of the phone. Or when you're ready to switch, sell one variant and buy the other.

Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cmstlist View Post
    when you're ready to switch, sell one variant and buy the other.
    Thats exactly what I was thinking... It appears iPhones tend to hold their value pretty good.. my only fear is if there is a price drop a month or two before the 5..

It kind of sucks for me to pay $400ish for a used iPhone when I can use my upgrade and get a brand new one for $199.. but I then loose the ability to upgrade when the 5 comes out... :/

Carriers
    AT&T,
    Feedback Score
    It should be mentioned though, the the Sprint iPhone will work on GSM networks outside the US. So, it is a GSM/CDMA phone, but the USA GSM network codes have been disabled on it.

*Sent from my HTC inspire using HowardForums*