Thread: New Straight Talk $60 plan

Carrier
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score

New Straight Talk $60 plan

So Straight Talk has a new $60 plan that incorporates "unlimited" international calling.

Would it be safe to assume that they'll cut you off for making too many international calls, like they do with data?

Feedback Score
    Sounds like a crossover from what they already do with TracFone users...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Crav4Speed View Post
    So Straight Talk has a new $60 plan that incorporates "unlimited" international calling.

Would it be safe to assume that they'll cut you off for making too many international calls, like they do with data?
    Straight Talk now offers $60 Unlimited International Service Plan which includes 30 service days, unlimited nationwide talk, text and data and unlimited international calls. You may adhere to the Terms and Conditions for this plan in order to avoid the phone from being disconnected or terminated.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SaraST View Post
    ...You may adhere to the Terms and Conditions for this plan in order to avoid the phone from being disconnected or terminated.
    I love how adhering to the T&C are stated as "optional, with consequences."

Phone
    Atrix/Skyrocket/R455C/Samsung Jack
    Carrier
    GoPhone LTE
    Feedback Score
    does she mean someone will come to your house and terminate you? sounds drastic since they never say what will get you in trouble besides tethering and doing stupid stuff like robo calls etc. she should be banned from the site for threatening us.

her speech will give me nightmares for days worrying about Sara_ST coming to terminate me

Feedback Score
    The thought of being terminated by Sara_ST puts her next to Jeri Ryan on my list of fantasy women!

Phones
    LG Optimus T
    Moto G
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I don't know why a company like America Movil can't put in place proven effective measures to regulate how they want things to go with usage throughout their brands. Well, they do on the by-the-minute plans from TracFone and Net10 (so-called "air tank" firmware).

First there should be disclosure and an actual publicly known and published number for how much data they do allow (or any other service limit). Then have electronic means in place to react to individual accounts that approach or exceed (preferably the former) whatever boundaries they set (throttling with speed reduction, or capping -- whatever, as long as it's known).

Other companies (hell, most of the entire mobile phone industry) have these policies in place. But no, America Movil relies on unpublished limits for their services (with relatively vague references in their T&C), and more importantly, a nonsense notion of PUBLIC RESTRAINT in how their services should be used. Thus they ignore the facts of how a lot of individuals approach their own use of something like cellular services (more, more, give me more), and set the stage for a lot of uncertainty and conflict between existing and potential customers and Straight Talk's unfortunate customer service group, which isn't the most adept at their job to begin with (how'd you like to have to work for them and have to deal with issues like this?).

This is such a weird example of a very successful man and company, with one of the most cockeyed business models for a division. Straight Talk is a very recent addition to America Movil. You can't help but think what the company's status would be if this was the outfit they had lead with from the beginning. Success or failure?

Phones
    iPhone 5 (Verizon)
    iPhone 5 (Verizon)
    iPhone 4S (T-Mo)
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    This is such a weird example of a very successful man and company, with one of the most cockeyed business models for a division. Straight Talk is a very recent addition to America Movil. You can't help but think what the company's status would be if this was the outfit they had lead with from the beginning. Success or failure?
    America Movil made out like a bandit in the last quarter, they are doing fantastic. Tracfone and Straight Talk are both very successful in their own right. Different strokes for different folks. Your analysis seems to be primarily a personal rant against data limits (whatever they may be) as opposed to the business itself, which America Movil is doing very, very well in.

Phones
    LG Optimus T
    Moto G
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Well, whatever you think of my "rant," Straight Talk is not the company TracFone started out with (TracFone PAYGO is), and it goes without saying that the people who gravitate toward any of the three companies, whether currently or since their beginning, are looking for an alternative to the big companies. They were and are willing to put up with quite a bit to get their discount, and by the numbers historically it's undeniable that whatever those inconvenient aspects are, there are enough customers to justify America Movil doing what they do, especially to those who hero-worship business successes.

But just think if you could survey the entire mobile phone community, and ask them why wouldn't they also consider being one of their customers, if the typical issues of coverage and cost were met. Reading the forums here on HoFo alone you can see select comments from people who mention a reluctance to either deviate from their post-paid setup, or for any level of do-it-yourself effort, the kind that a lot of customers of various pre-paid companies (not just TracFone's) end up having to assert because of various snafus they encounter, which includes communicating with CSRs, dealing with plans and policies that just aren't like the ones with their old company, and especially here a flat-out denial of any problem related to how poorly communicated the amount of data is included in an "unlimited" offering.

This is really nonsense, and is a self-limiting factor in their own growth. The America Movil companies benefit greatly from just the fact that there are so many people wanting cell service who really don't care about the details, while if they just tightened up in a few areas they could lift the stigma that keeps many from joining in. They would no longer be considered lower-tier, or however you want to look at them; they'd just be another solid choice based on a universally great reputation. And they would do even better. What they've got to offer speaks for itself; it's how they're executing it that makes it a head-scratcher.

Phone
    Atrix/Skyrocket/R455C/Samsung Jack
    Carrier
    GoPhone LTE
    Feedback Score
    People usually never mention Walmart role in straight talk. I would think tracfone provides the service for Walmart. I can not help but think if people would approach Walmart with their dissatisfaction over the data issue Walmart would make them tracfone clear it up. Walmart does not mess around.

Carriers
    Gophone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by alphamale-b View Post
    People usually never mention Walmart role in straight talk. I would think tracfone provides the service for Walmart. I can not help but think if people would approach Walmart with their dissatisfaction over the data issue Walmart would make them tracfone clear it up. Walmart does not mess around.
    If they ever sell the ST sims at WM, then the resulting deluge will force them to state their policies clearly, because there is only so much backlash WM will endure. I suspect this will happen later on, ?holiday season or next year, because they are probably crunching the numbers and figuring out how much data to buys and how much profit to be made. We are the beta testers for AM/tracfone, Europe has gotten a lot more competitive with the MVNO's leading the carriers to cut back on the phone subsidies, and match the lower monthly costs.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SaraST View Post
    Straight Talk now offers $60 Unlimited International Service Plan which includes 30 service days, unlimited nationwide talk, text and data and unlimited international calls. You may adhere to the Terms and Conditions for this plan in order to avoid the phone from being disconnected or terminated.
    This answer disgusts me. Give hard answers.