Thread: Can I access Droid features with NO cell phone plan?

Feedback Score

Can I access Droid features with NO cell phone plan?

The reason I ask is this.. I am looking at buying an Android phone, I think. I am wondering that if I decide at a later date to no longer use the Droid and switch phone service, will my Droid become a lump of coal? OR can I use it like an IPod Touch? If I have loaded books on the Droid to use it as an ereader and I have pictures and music on there and games, will I be able to get to them with no monthly prepaid cell phone service? Can I still use the wi-fi feature? I am looking at going to Page Plus and I believe I can buy an Android phone that is branded Verizon and use it with them. For around $40.00 month I will have unlimited calls and text and I think 1gb data??

I was originally looking for a pre-paid cell plan that had a "hot spot" option. I live in the country and I was wanting to consolidate my gadgets. I was told there is no such creature and I can not even tether a phone on a pre-pay plan. Our best service up here is Verizon. I currently use a Virgin Mobile MiFi 2200 for my internet access that is GRANDFATHERED in on the $40.00 a month "unlimited" plan.

*What Android phone would be best for ereading, MP-3?
    *Can I use it after I terminate phone service as an ereader, MP3 player, games,etc?
    *Is there a PRE-PAID cell plan that provides hot-spot or tethering for Verizon coverage?
    *If I sold my Virgin Mobile MiFi 2200 with the GRANDFATHERED $40.00 unlimited plan, how much do you think I can expect to get for it, they are harder and harder to find..??

I have no idea where this post needs to go but if it is in the wrong place I apologize and feel free to move me.

THANK YOU for your consideration-

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Absolutely, you can use any Android phone as an entertainment device (ie. iPod Touch) without cellular service. Wi-fi will always work and things like playing music, movies, games, etc. on it won't be affected at all.

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    You could use it on wifi only and not as a cell phone. Outside of a wifi coverage area it will work with any pre-installed apps that do not require an internet connect.
    If I'm annoyed and you're annoyed, does that make us a paranoid ??

Sarcasm is a fine art...

"Don't believe everything you think"

It's not a matter of if you win or lose, it's how you assign the blame

Feedback Score
    I use my old Galaxy S (I have the Galaxy Nexus now) as an MP3 player that I leave in my car. So, yes, you can definitely use the phone after you terminate service. Basically terminating service is just that, no cell service. But Wifi, bluetooth, etc. all will work.

If you want a good e-reading experience, I'd recommend an Android phone with a higher resolution screen. I love reading e-books on my Galaxy Nexus. Especially with AMOLED displays, you can set the background to black to conserve battery life. I can read a whole book and barely use up the battery with just white fonts.

Phones
    Samsung U430 (fully functioinal bluetooth)
    Moto Droid as an accessory
    LG VX8350 (retired)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by supermanx5 View Post
    Especially with AMOLED displays, you can set the background to black to conserve battery life. I can read a whole book and barely use up the battery with just white fonts.
    Interesting; do you know if I can do that?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using HowardForums