Thread: IheartRadio on Straight Talk

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score

IheartRadio on Straight Talk

This is just a little tidbit of information I figured out and thought I would share of with the hofo community. Everyone knows that straight talks "data cap" is around 100mb a day. I love to stream Iheartradio and wanted to let y'all know that if you choose to stream this radio service, the data works out to be right about 34 mb an hour. This is according to my data usage app I have on my iPhone. Hope this info helps some people out. I did a google search and it was hard to come up with a simple straight answer..

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Andman433 View Post
    This is just a little tidbit of information I figured out and thought I would share of with the hofo community. Everyone knows that straight talks "data cap" is around 100mb a day. I love to stream Iheartradio and wanted to let y'all know that if you choose to stream this radio service, the data works out to be right about 34 mb an hour. This is according to my data usage app I have on my iPhone. Hope this info helps some people out. I did a google search and it was hard to come up with a simple straight answer..
    streaming services are specifically banned in the TaC so doesn't really matter how much data it is consuming, you aren't supposed to be using it.

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Ok.. Bottom line, straight talk dosent give a crap how you use your data as long as you stay around 100 mb a day. I've been a straight talk customer for 3 years and a straight talk smart phone user for 18 mos. ive adheared to these guidelines since to first started hearing about the soft cap. I've streamed, youtubed, teathered, anything you can do on a mobile phone and never once got a call for excessive data usage.

Feedback Score
    That's like a script kiddy who brags about being part of Annoymous.

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    ...besides, this post wasnt to have a debate about the terms of service which we are all well aware of, it was to provide basic information about a topic. Take it how you want, but I'm just putting it out there..

Carriers
    Straight Talk (ATT SIM)
    Feedback Score
    I've been using iheartradio on my iPhone over data without issues.

Phones
    iPhone 5 (Verizon)
    iPhone 5 (Verizon)
    iPhone 4S (T-Mo)
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    It's all about the data, seriously. Be reasonable, you will be fine. Stream all day, you will be shut down. It really isn't rocket science.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Andman433 View Post
    Ok.. Bottom line, straight talk dosent give a crap how you use your data as long as you stay around 100 mb a day. I've been a straight talk customer for 3 years and a straight talk smart phone user for 18 mos. ive adheared to these guidelines since to first started hearing about the soft cap. I've streamed, youtubed, teathered, anything you can do on a mobile phone and never once got a call for excessive data usage.

Hey Andman, I guess I'll be the first to say "thank you" for sharing this information with our community, which in my opinion is very useful. I have a few questions for you, I hope you can answer them, just like you I want to use the most I can out of my data with straight talk, but don't want to go over and risk being cut off...You state that you use about 100 mb a day...

1)now is this every single day that you use about "100 mb," or are there some days that you don't use your data or use it very lightly?

2) do you ever go over 100 mb per day, or do u always stay right under 100 mb a day?

3) what is your monthly total data usage on a regular month for you? about 2 gb, slightly less than 2gb, or more?
    thanks

Feedback Score
    I mostly use pandora about 2 hours a day a few days a week. I never exactly calculated my data even though i know i go over 100mb a day, but damn 34 megs an hour is a lot!

Feedback Score
    Thanks Shawn for your reply...After alot of searching and reading, I just came to the conclusion that 65 mb per day is enough for me. I don't even use it all up in a day even after listening to pandora for about 30 mins daily, checking email, using facebook etc.

And sometimes I don't even use my data at all, since I use wifi when I spend the day at home... And I agree with you, 34 mb per hour is alot, I use about 12 mb per every 30 mins totaling about 24 mb per hour...

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Carlos, your welcome. Well, seeing as I am on wifi most of the day, I'm really not what you would consider a data hog at all. I use roughly 5-10 mb a day unless I get the urge to listen to some music or watch some YouTube or Netflix. In which case, I have a data usage app that warns me if im approaching 100 mb.

Feedback Score
    There is really no method to ST unlimited data limit madness. Between their advertisements and confusing TOS you can't be sure what it is exactly that they allow you to do/not do with the data. Based on reports from users ST has been pretty arbitrary with their data over use warnings/disconnects.

I've been using slightly over 3GB(ST on ATT iPhone in NYC) every month for the last 3 months without any issues.