Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Straight Talk to AT&T mobile-to-mobile minutes

Feedback Score

Straight Talk to AT&T mobile-to-mobile minutes

I'm a current AT&T customer and the one thing that's holding me back from switching to ST is that my girlfriend is currently stuck with AT&T. She has free mobile-to-mobile minutes with AT&T customers, and we talk a lot (long distance relationship). If I switch to ST, will she still be able to call me without eating into her limited "anytime" minutes because I'm still using AT&T networks so her plan will still register our calls as AT&T mobile-to-mobile?

I've heard some anecdotal evidence that this is in fact the case -- AT&T to Straight Talk (and vice versa) calls are treated like AT&T to AT&T calls in terms of how the AT&T customer's minutes are affected (i.e. they are not used) -- but I wanted to know what others' experiences are.

Thanks in advance and please let me know if I haven't described my situation accurately.

Phones
    att , nokia 1100, moto 376g
    iPhone 4s-64 + many others
    Carriers
    att, trac, pageplus
    Feedback Score
    I have a contract AT&T phone. I have had this line since 2004. And m2m has always been on the plan. I have found that it is seen as mobile to mobile any AT&T cell phone and any phone that is on an AT&T mvno. Tracfones net10 and airvoice so far. If you get the sim make sure you get the AT&T sim and they don't try to stick you with a t-mobile sim. And of course watch your data usage like a hawk.

Gf can always check her usage on her AT&T account to be sure it is being billed as m2m

If it doesn't work out you can always switch back. I wouldn't recommend buying more than 1 month at a time
    On st
    trying to come up with better signature.......

Feedback Score
    Thanks pattyrn. I will also be porting over my AT&T wireless number, so hopefully that will help. In your experience, does the phone you use on ST have to be an original ATT contract phone for M2M to work? What if I used an unlocked (non-ATT) GSM phone with a ST ATT sim and my ported ATT number?

Very curious if others have had experiences with this type of situation or other variations.

Carriers
    Gophone
    Feedback Score
    Your phone locked or unlocked(ATTA branded or otherwise)- doesnt matter as long as you use a ST/ATT sim card. The phone will be recognized as a ATT phone and will get the benefit of unlimited minutes. I think you do realize that there are both ATT and Tmo sim cards that you can choose on ST BYOD sims.

Feedback Score
    Why not skype or something? Cut past all the mobile BS

Carriers
    Gophone
    Feedback Score
    fair point, but i would guess convenience, simplicity and habit.
    it is easy to dial a one touch number, vs login to the skype app and then call.

Feedback Score
    ndtv88: Is this your personal experience that ST/ATT Sim calls to ATT phones use unlimited minutes on the ATT user's side? I know my minutes are unlimited no matter who I talk to; I'm concerned about her minutes, which are only unlimited when she calls other ATT phones. I asked ST CS via Facebook and their response was: "If you will call an AT&T customer, necessary charges will apply. Please be informed that even if your phone runs off AT&T network, the service is already under Straight Talk." This doesn't really answer the question, but implies it might not work the way I hope. And yes, thanks, I know to stick to the AT&T BYOD Sim card.

FatHitman: Simple answer is that she has an old-fashioned dumbphone; no Skype, no data. It barely even has a color screen! And she refuses to switch to a smartphone (technophobic). And say what you want, but her old phone is tiny, light, made of metal, gets great call quality, and has lasted upwards of 5 years with no issues!

Phone
    SM-N900A Samsung SGH-I337
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    We have the unlimited messaging and we can talk to any mobile, any network anytime and 550 minutes. The minutes are only deducted when calling to and from a landline.

Feedback Score
    Thanks Elpidio. Again, I'm inquiring about how these calls would register with the current AT&T customers that I call. I know with the ST $45 unlimited plan I can call whomever I want with unlimited minutes. But I'm wondering, from the other person's end, if they are an AT&T customer and I call them with a ST AT&T Sim, will it deduct their minutes or will it register on their account as AT&T mobile-to-mobile?

Feedback Score
    I have an AT&T Family Plan. My wife is on Straight Talk.

Anyway, I just checked my On Line Account Manager, and all my calls to my wife (ON ST) appear as "M2AM", which translates to Mobile to Any Mobile. So, any call to or from my AT&T phone to my wife's ST phone are not billed against monthly minute allowances.

If you know anyone with a ST account you could have your girlfriend call them then check her OLAM to see how it appears for billing.

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    AT&T to Straight Talk or any other AT&T MVNO is considered Mobile to Mobile for the AT&T user.

Sent from my LG Nitro HD

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    There is one caveat for others. If you are porting in a non-AT&T number to an AT&T SIM card with Straight Talk, there may be a short delay before the calls are recognized as AT&T mobile-to-mobile calls.
    Earl F. Parrish

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cloudsorghosts View Post
    Thanks Elpidio. Again, I'm inquiring about how these calls would register with the current AT&T customers that I call. I know with the ST $45 unlimited plan I can call whomever I want with unlimited minutes. But I'm wondering, from the other person's end, if they are an AT&T customer and I call them with a ST AT&T Sim, will it deduct their minutes or will it register on their account as AT&T mobile-to-mobile?
    I think pattyrn already answered your question earlier. But to clarify, from my understanding of using other ATT MVNOs, the ATT customer that calls an ATT MVNO customer does NOT have minutes deducted as this is an in-network call so it is treated as an ATT mobile-to-mobile call (in other words it is free and unlimited).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by daleraver View Post
    I have an AT&T Family Plan. My wife is on Straight Talk.

Anyway, I just checked my On Line Account Manager, and all my calls to my wife (ON ST) appear as "M2AM", which translates to Mobile to Any Mobile.
    Thanks everyone, especially daleraver. This is the type of information I was looking for: someone who actually uses the service in this way.

Feedback Score
    Actually, wait, there's another wrinkle. daleraver says his calls between ST and ATT are listed on the ATT bill as "M2AM," which is Mobile-to-Any-Mobile. The people I talk to on ATT don't have Mobile-to-Any-Mobile. They just have Mobile-to-Mobile which covers calls to other ATT users. If you have ATT M2AM, then of course ATT to ST calls (& vice versa) would not deduct your minutes, because you can call any mobile on any network for free.

I want to know, for people that have a basic ATT plan with free mobile-to-mobile (ATT to ATT phones) but NOT mobile-to-any-mobile (which is a feature of higher-priced ATT plans), do ST to ATT calls deduct your minutes?

I'm currently on one of those basic ATT plans, so the easiest way to test this is for someone on ST to call me! I don't know anyone who uses ST. Would someone on the forum be willing to call me for 2 minutes so I can check my bill and see how it registers? I know this is a strange request but I can't think of any other way to test it out!

Please PM me if you wouldn't mind calling me for a minute or two!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast