Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Will this work? Straight Talk w/New Samsung Galaxy S3 from ATT?

Feedback Score

Will this work? Straight Talk w/New Samsung Galaxy S3 from ATT?

My two year contract with Verizon is coming to an end and I'm tired of spending about $160 each month for unlimited top tier plan at VZ. ST's unlimited $45 per-month is very attractive, although I have read that "unlimited data" is not necessary unlimited.

My plan is to purchase a new unlocked Samsung Galaxy S3 directly from AT & T at full price, without a contract (the ATT store said they would unlock it for me), and use it on Straight Talk's unlimited plan.

My question is:

Will I enjoy AT & T's 4G network where available?
    Will I be able to tether my laptop to the Galaxy S3 with this marriage between an AT& T Galaxy S3 and Straight Talk's plan?

I don't use a lot of data, and I'm mostly in the USA. Abroad, I will insert an international SIM card.

Am I doing the right thing? This is new territory form me, but I know I have to escape Verizon’s overpriced plans. Should I approach this differently? I don't want to screw up and I definitly want the new Galaxy S3 which will is coming out shortly. Should I go about this differently?

Thank you in advance for you help,
    Terry

Feedback Score

I think so.....

I think it will work very well with S3. I dont know exactly if you will get 4g but i think it should. I get 4g on tmobile byop sim and will also be switching to the att byop sim. I think everything should work good as long as you keep data usage within limits. Other than that you pretty much have all the functionality that att would provide.

Quote Originally Posted by tovster View Post
    My two year contract with Verizon is coming to an end and I'm tired of spending about $160 each month for unlimited top tier plan at VZ. ST's unlimited $45 per-month is very attractive, although I have read that "unlimited data" is not necessary unlimited.

My plan is to purchase a new unlocked Samsung Galaxy S3 directly from AT & T at full price, without a contract (the ATT store said they would unlock it for me), and use it on Straight Talk's unlimited plan.

My question is:

Will I be able to tether my laptop to the Galaxy S3 with this marriage between an AT& T Galaxy S3 and Straight Talk's plan?

I don't use a lot of data, and I'm mostly in the USA. Abroad, I will insert an international SIM card.

Am I doing the right thing? This is new territory form me, but I know I have to escape Verizon’s overpriced plans. Should I approach this differently? I don't want to screw up and I definitly want the new Galaxy S3 which will is coming out shortly. Should I go about this differently?

Terry

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    You will not be able to access AT&T 4G LTE. No LTE at all on ST. you should be able to get the HSPA 3.5G that AT&T often calls 4G. Of course, this would be depend on your local coverage. As for tethering, you would be technically able to tether, as the phone would make this possible. However, tethering is prohibited under the ST terms of service. I the past there have been folks that said as long as you stay under the unwritten supposed caps of 100MB a day and 2GB a month, you can use the data however you wish. So tethering just to check email or check a few sites were supposed to be ok, just don,t go crazy. However, more recently, several have posted that any tethering can get you cut off. Whether either of these is fact based on experience, or whether they are conjecture, is not entirely clear. The problem seems to be that ST doesn't follow a strict policy, and enforcement isn't uniform. Some use 3GB in a month and don't get any warning call. Others get warning calls at 1.5GB, but may have gone over daily limits. YMMV.

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tovster View Post

My question is:

Terry

Ugh..where to begin?

If you're going to be buying the S3 full price, get the international one. You will receive updates a lot faster and no at$t branding. You can buy the S3 from bestbuy.com with buyback,black-tie and manufacturer warranty.

Only 3G on ST, not 4G. No tethering(it's not suggested unless you don't care about losing your number).

Also, if you forgo buying the international one and buy the at$t version, no need to unlock it for ST.

Phones
    Motorola i335
    IPhone 3G
    Sony Incognito
    Carriers
    Boost CDMA and IDen
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Does the International one do the tmo 3g bands also. I'd like to have seven plan options if ST doesn't work out. Tmo has some good ones.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using HowardForums

Phones
    iPhone 5 (Verizon)
    iPhone 5 (Verizon)
    iPhone 4S (T-Mo)
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I believe the international is pentaband so 3G on both T-Mo/AT&T but verify that before purchase.

Feedback Score
    Hi, reading this thread with curiosity, and don't want to hijack it, but I had a similar phone in mind, only an s2 instead of an s3.
    when you guys say international, do you mean an 'unlocked' phone? I want to buy an s2 for straight talk (I currently have an e71 , so at&t sim) so I was thinking of this phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S II SGH-I777 - 16GB - Black (Unlocked) Smartphone
    the other option is an a
    Samsung Galaxy S II GT-I9100 - 16GB - Noble black (Unlocked) Smartphone (International version)
    this one is like $100 more, so I'm wondering if I need it
    thanks
    sorry I couldn't post the links to this yet, as i'm a new poster in the forum

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by greatestNothing View Post
    Ugh..where to begin?

If you're going to be buying the S3 full price, get the international one. You will receive updates a lot faster and no at$t branding. You can buy the S3 from bestbuy.com with buyback,black-tie and manufacturer warranty.

Only 3G on ST, not 4G. No tethering(it's not suggested unless you don't care about losing your number).

Also, if you forgo buying the international one and buy the AT&T version, no need to unlock it for ST.
    What do you mean that I might loose my phone number if I tether my S3? I spoke with AT&T both over the phone and in their store and they indicated that they are getting in their Galaxy S3 in the beginning of June. They promised that they would unlock the phone at no charge if I bought the phone with no contract. Is it better for me to by an AT&T Galaxy S3 or an international version and just get the ST SIM card? ST indicated that I will enjoy 4G and LTE with an ATT phone. I require an unlocked phone because I travel internationally, and I need to change SIM cards overseas. What do you think?
    TErry

Phones
    Nexus 4 / Z Ultra
    Nexus 4
    Z Ultra
    Carrier
    Straight Talk (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Be careful with ST REPS; sometimes they know not of what they speak. You will not get LTE, but will get hspda+. The jury is out as to whether tetherers are being detected with packet inspections; as best I can tell probably not. Just watch your data use in relation to general guidelines and you should be fine.

Sent from my LG-P999 using HowardForums

Feedback Score
    Is there a prepaid plan that is more generous than Straight talk? Also, why is it better to buy an international unlocked Galaxy S3 rather than an AT&T S3 that is unlocked?

Carrier
    T-Mobile monthly 4G
    Feedback Score
    I have a samsung galaxy sII skyrocket and I get HSPA + speed around 5-8 mbs. Works fast enough for me. And for tethering there is a app called Wifi hotspot and USB tether on the google play store for 14.99 but works awesome.

Phones
    Samsung Captivate
    Samsung Captivate
    Samsung 455C
    Carrier
    StraightTalk
    Feedback Score
    I tether but very little and I've had no issues. Just last night the cable went out and I tethered for about 30 megabytes and no men in black suits showed up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score

Can I install the Straight Talk AT&T SIM card in my unlocked phone?

Straight Talk offers their regular SIM card and one for AT&T. Can I install the ST SIM card designated for AT&T and enjoy AT&T's HSPA 3.5G that AT&T often calls 4G?

Terry

Phones
    Nokia E71
    HTC Inspire 4G
    Samsung Infuse 4G
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    There are three SIMs that they offer. A microsim primarily(there are a couple of other phones that use them, but rarely)for iPhone 4 and 4S that runs on AT&T.....a standard SIM(also called a minisim) that runs on AT&T that fits almost every other GSM phone.....and a standard SIM that runs on TMobile. All of them are 3.5G. TMobile appears to be faster, AT&T normally has better coverage. You can check coverage maps to see which is better for you, but I would also ask friends in your area that have those companies for their phone service how their coverage is. Real world experience is better than depending on a coverage map to be accurate.
    For instructions on using Androids with Straight Talk don't PM me....I don't usually answer....click here!
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...stop-asking%29

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    I'm looking to do that same thing except with the locked s3 att phone (glad to see someone up above said that it's not necessary to unlock an att gsm phone - as long as I'm getting the att sim card!) I feel it's so much easier getting the US version just from the att store, but what makes the international version better? Other than the updates factor which was posted above, should I buy the unlocked or international version instead of the locked att s3?!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast