Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: BroadBand2Go $35 and $55 Plans, including 4G Data

Phone
    OnePlus
    Carrier
    TMobile
    Feedback Score

BroadBand2Go $35 and $55 Plans, including 4G Data

I searched and didn't see this posted and its not on VirginMobileUsa.com under plans, but my data card now shows a $35 2gig Broadband plan, and the disclaimer below indicates there's also a $55 plan, and both include 4G data on a 4G device (though I don't see any 4G devices for sale yet?)

The $35 and $55 plans include Unlimited 4G data access with 4G speeds up to 5GB.A 4G device is required to access 4G data.

I'm guessing the wording above is wrong, and $35 is 2GB of 4G data, while $55 is 4GB of 4G data. Not sure if both are 'unlimited' 3G data, or capped to 250k or whatever the throttled cap at Virgin Mobile is now.
    Go GSM! Switch phones on demand.

Carriers
    Straight Talk (ATT SIM)
    Feedback Score
    I saw an ad on their site for a 4G mobile broadband that goes on sale 5/31 unlimited 4G. If its true I'm definatley getting one.

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The whole reason for this is because Sprint is ditching WiMax for LTE right? Maybe the WiMax network is so underutilized that they don't care about data caps?

Phone
    Galaxy S4 & Optimus G
    Carrier
    Verizon & Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dcheesi View Post
    Maybe the WiMax network is so underutilized that they don't care about data caps?
    They have an agreement with Clearwire (the actual owner and operator of the Wi-Max network) for unlimited access through 2015.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using HowardForums

Phones
    Samsung Moment
    Palm Pre
    iPhone 3G 8GB
    Carriers
    Sprint,
    Feedback Score
    I don't think it's truly unlimited. The caption on VM says "Plans include up to 10GB Per Month of Full-Speed Data".

If it is a 10GB cap and you need unlimited, going directly through Clear is probably the better option. Clear has one of their 4g hotspots on sale right now for $50, and the cheapest plan is $34.99 for unlimited 4G at 1.5mb down, or you can upgrade to 'regular' download speeds (still unlimited) at $49.99 a month.

Phone
    OnePlus
    Carrier
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Name:  gfather_bb2g_rate_chart.gif
Views: 1974
Size:  30.1 KB

After 7/4 all the other plans are grandfathered -- so my $40 are ancient. Its really lame that it says 'UNLIMITED' and then says '10GB' right below it. Why can't they just say 2GB of 3G and 10GB of 4G for $35, and 5GB of 3G and 10GB of 4G for $55? Geez.

Phone
    HTC_816_Phablet, Lumia_520
    Carrier
    Virgin_Mobile, Cricket, H2O
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Virgin Mobile HTC WFS: Opera/9.80 (Android; Opera Mini/7.29952/27.1813; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 Version/11.10)

Quote Originally Posted by pitflyer
    Name:  gfather_bb2g_rate_chart.gif
Views: 1974
Size:  30.1 KB

After 7/4 all the other plans are grandfathered -- so my $40 are ancient. Its really lame that it says 'UNLIMITED' and then says '10GB' right below it. Why can't they just say 2GB of 3G and 10GB of 4G for $35, and 5GB of 3G and 10GB of 4G for $55? Geez.
    Why??? because it is still unlimited past the throttle.

And I agree with your suggestion.
    Most subscribers might feel mislead with throttled speeds. VM should explore a better option with a hard cap plus a per Gb flat fee past that cap.
    Last edited by vmobi; 05-24-2012 at 05:00 PM.
    No Contract means I have all the power.
    They want me, but they can't have me...

Phone
    OnePlus
    Carrier
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    My complaint is it lists unlimited under the 4g header. If there was a 2g column and it said unlimited... fine.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pitflyer View Post
    I'm guessing the wording above is wrong, and $35 is 2GB of 4G data, while $55 is 4GB of 4G data. Not sure if both are 'unlimited' 3G data, or capped to 250k or whatever the throttled cap at Virgin Mobile is now.
    I just saw the notice in an email from Virgin Mobile about the new plans. I'm using a 3G BroadBand2Go MiFi device for accessing high-speed service, because I live in an area without DSL (was on dial-up until a month ago!). And I can't get 4G coverage.

According to what the customer service told me, in areas without 4G coverage, you won't have any access to unlimited 3G with the new plans, only (throttled) 4G. The 2 Gig cap is all you get of 3G, with not even reduced speeds after hitting the cap. So this is bad news for me.

The customer service guy I talked to didn't sound well informed, so if anyone knows differently, I'd love to hear.

It doesn't seem right that they'd offer unlimited 4G but not 3G?

Phone
    OnePlus
    Carrier
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    That sucks if they remove 2g or throttled 3g access. Not very clear on the new plan details. Maybe ask them on their facebook page?

Sent from my Galaxy Tab

Phones
    Motorola Triumph, LG Optimus V
    Motorola Triumph
    LG Optimus V
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vmobi View Post
    Wirelessly posted (Virgin Mobile HTC WFS: Opera/9.80 (Android; Opera Mini/7.29952/27.1813; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 Version/11.10)

Why??? because it is still unlimited past the throttle.

And I agree with your suggestion.
    Most subscribers might feel mislead with throttled speeds. VM should explore a better option with a hard cap plus a per Gb flat fee past that cap.
    > unlimited
    > throttle
    We all know why. But yay for Virgin extending even more expensive plans to customers. in six months time I'm expecting them to roll out a $79.99/month "truly unlimited" plan.

Charging extra for gigabytes is a great idea, I hope Virgin goes the way of AT&T and Verizon soon.

Carrier
    Telus, TMo PP, H2O
    Feedback Score
    Is the 4G still throttled after 10GB? It no longer says that right under (as shown earlier in this thread) and I read the whole popup of terms -- it just says they may throttle after you hit the limit (which I couldn't find).

Also they're having a promo on the 4G devices, $60 for hotspot and $35 for stick. Is this the best deal or is something else better? We'd be using it in an "on-street" area in 33442.

I see Clear (mentioned upthread?) has their devices on sale for $50 (hotspot), $25 (stick), $50 (non-portable hub). Plans for unlimited 4G are $35 (slower) and $50 (faster). These prices are comparable to VM, is Clear a better bet? Different soft caps? I infer Clear owns the WiMax network that VM is MVNO-ing on?

Thanks!
    =aw

Phone
    Galaxy S4 & Optimus G
    Carrier
    Verizon & Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by awebber View Post
    These prices are comparable to VM, is Clear a better bet? Different soft caps? I infer Clear owns the WiMax network that VM is MVNO-ing on?

Thanks!
    =aw
    Clear is the network owner so you may be better off dealing with them directly as the pricing is about the same albeit different data speeds. You also get the benefit of Sprints 3G network on Virgin which I do not believe is the case with Clear. Do you expect to go over 10GB a month?

As far as the relationship, Clear is it's own publicly traded company. Sprint owns 55% of the preferred stock in Clear but it is a non controlling ownership. So no, Virgin is not an MVNO but a wholly owned subsidiary of Sprint who has an unlimited agreement with Clear to use its Wi-Max network through 2013.

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by billm261 View Post
    Clear is the network owner so you may be better off dealing with them directly as the pricing is about the same albeit different data speeds. You also get the benefit of Sprints 3G network on Virgin which I do not believe is the case with Clear. Do you expect to go over 10GB a month?

As far as the relationship, Clear is it's own publicly traded company. Sprint owns 55% of the preferred stock in Clear but it is a non controlling ownership. So no, Virgin is not an MVNO but a wholly owned subsidiary of Sprint who has an unlimited agreement with Clear to use its Wi-Max network through 2013.
    Either way you get pure unlimited data even though virgin mobile website says they will slow down the speed. My cousin has used more than 12 GB this month and still hasn't been throttled...you can't even check how much data you used on the HTC evo 4g thorough virgin mobile website...you have to download an app...but its 4g only

Phone
    Galaxy S4 & Optimus G
    Carrier
    Verizon & Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugatti Veyron View Post
    Either way you get pure unlimited data even though virgin mobile website says they will slow down the speed. My cousin has used more than 12 GB this month and still hasn't been throttled...you can't even check how much data you used on the HTC evo 4g thorough virgin mobile website...you have to download an app...but its 4g only
    I think that's because they are not monitoring it since the agreement with Clear is for unlimited access.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast