Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do you think Straight Talk will get access to 4G and LTE?

Carriers
    Straight Talk (ATT SIM)
    Feedback Score

Do you think Straight Talk will get access to 4G and LTE?

I'm betting the androids they sell in the future will since other mvnos are getting 4G with Sprint but AT&T Verizon and tmobile will be more interesting.

Phones
    Nexus 4 / Z Ultra
    Nexus 4
    Z Ultra
    Carrier
    Straight Talk (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Big hypothetical here... would be interesting to see how well IPhone Five works on TMO 42. LTE will come: the timing will be interesting to watch. Seems like some customers are balking at continuing to pay a premium for post paid on the big three. I think for the average user there really isn't much difference between LTE and decent hspa+. That's so 20 seconds ago really doesn't ring true (no pun intended) for realworld use.

Sent from my LG-P999 using HowardForums

Feedback Score
    I am getting '4G' on T-mobile with ST's BYOD sim. I put the quote on '4G' because some people may define HSPDA is not true 4g.

The speed is ridiculously good. I just activated the phone last night and i got 14mbps/2.4mbps last night and 14.5mbps/2.9mbps this morning with an HTC Amaze.

Phones
    Nexus 4 / Z Ultra
    Nexus 4
    Z Ultra
    Carrier
    Straight Talk (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketJeff View Post
    I am getting '4G' on T-mobile with ST's BYOD sim. I put the quote on '4G' because some people may define HSPDA is not true 4g.

The speed is ridiculously good. I just activated the phone last night and i got 14mbps/2.4mbps last night and 14.5mbps/2.9mbps this morning with an HTC Amaze.
    Nice; I'm on the TMO sim as well with a G2X and consistently get 9/2. We're getting access to TMO's 42+. My phone shows "4g" as well and is faster than GF's 4s. Hey Apple... Let's put a 1700 42+ radio in the Five and sell it unlocked for around 5 clams and I'll consider going back.

Sent from my LG-P999 using HowardForums

Phones
    iPhone 5 (Verizon)
    iPhone 5 (Verizon)
    iPhone 4S (T-Mo)
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    HSPA+ is pretty good, T-Mobile is generally faster but varies by location. AT&T is somewhat faster here than T-Mobile on the HSPA+ side but it isn't a dramatic difference either way, they are both plenty fast.

As for LTE, I would imagine the answer is yes. As for a timeframe, I have no idea.

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    My first reaction s to say "no", but then again, I didn't think we'd have BYOD on prepaid on legit carriers in the year 2012 either. But I honestly think you're asking the wrong question. The question should be, "if my red ice is going to get cut off if I go over 100MB a day or 2GB a month, do I want to do that as HSPA speeds, or with LTE speeds.". It's like the new LTE plans that were announced when the new iPad came out. I thought, "so now I could burn through that $30 2GB of data in a day instead of a week." With people getting cut off now, I can't imagine how quickly they'd be getting cut off with LTE on their phones.

Phones
    iPhone 5 (Verizon)
    iPhone 5 (Verizon)
    iPhone 4S (T-Mo)
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Yeah just imagine the whining and complaining. With LTE that 2GB will go up in smoke so fast most users won't even notice. I suspect they won't allow LTE access for some time. In the mean time, enjoy HSPA+, it is fast enough. Do you really need more than 5 or 6 megabits on your phone?

Feedback Score
    1-2 meg will do everything I need. I have no need for 20+ meg on my phone. /shrug

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Phones
    iPhone 5 (Verizon)
    iPhone 5 (Verizon)
    iPhone 4S (T-Mo)
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I agree, the benefit is lower ping times, but HSPA+ is pretty good in that regard as well. I have zero need for more than what we already have speed-wise.

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt92 View Post
    1-2 meg will do everything I need. I have no need for 20+ meg on my phone. /shrug

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
    This, plus no worries about the battery burning down from constant switching between HSPA and LTE radios.
    Nexus 5 rooted with ST AT&T LTE SIM & full Google Voice integration

Phone
    Optimus G
    Carrier
    Not Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    I believe LTE will be available through MVNO a lot sooner that most people think. One of the main things that carriers use MVNOs for is to sell excess network capacity that would not be sold otherwise (at the higher post paid rates). There is a ton of excess LTE network capacity and will continue to be so for the next few years as traditional customers are due for their device upgrades and slowly move to LTE. I don't believe the networks are gonna be able to sit on that unused capacity for that long while they try to build out LTE nationwide in more rural areas.

Whether or not it will be ST who can offer it first via MVNO, who knows. I kinda doubt it.

Phone
    iPhone 4S 16GB Black
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketJeff View Post

I'm getting '4G' HSPA+ on my 4S with my AT&T ST SIM.
    Straight Talk unlimited everything plan for $45

Phones
    iPhone 3GS
    Motorla V600 (retired)
    Sanyo 8100 (retired), Samsung SPH-a500(retired)
    Carrier
    Cingular GSM
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dustman81 View Post
    I bet you are still capped at around 7.2mbit though. AT&T's HSPA+ network and the 4s are capable of 14mbit.
    -Ben

Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dustman81 View Post
    As the posted above said you are not getting the same speeds as native AT&T customers..

Carriers
    BYOD ST T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    They get faster speeds than 7.2mbps but not by much :P

Attachment 81472

Attachment 81473

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast