Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Samsung Proclaim Battery Drains Every 12 hours

Feedback Score

Samsung Proclaim Battery Drains Every 12 hours

I charged it to 100% 12 hours ago and did not use it but it is almost drained again. I checked and sent 1 text message during that time. I had wifi and mobile data turned off but it still drained.

Battery use shows 60% standby, 25% phone idle, Display 14%

This is the 2nd time this happened. Any suggestions?

Phone
    Optimus G
    Carrier
    Not Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Is this your first Android phone? Many people are shocked by device battery life when they first go to the platform. Of course, some phones have better battery life than others but almost all of them have to be charged on a daily basis.

There are many apps in the marketplace that will help you better analyze your battery usage and how much is left. A good widget will help you as well and don't be afraid to use the phone until you are getting low battery warnings.

Phone
    Atrix/Skyrocket/R455C/Samsung Jack
    Carrier
    GoPhone LTE
    Feedback Score
    I am thrilled with the 10 hours I get with my atrix

Feedback Score
    The Samsung specs are
    Standby Time: Up to 16 Days
    Continuous Usage Time: Up to 5.5 Hours
    First Android but I expected if I did not use it and shut-off wifi and mobile networking it would keep the
    battery. It is just sitting there and not doing anything and draining.

Big difference between 12 hours and 16 days.

EDIT: I uninstalled "Android System Info" app I downloaded from Google Play and Accuweather. The phone was in standby with networking off but who knows maybe a bug in one of these apps. Will see what happens.
    Last edited by Li Nalas; 05-22-2012 at 01:23 PM.

Phone
    Cingular 8525
    Carrier
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    I just ordered the Proclaim, I had the Huawei Ascend II before from Walmart.
    The Ascend II probably has better battery life because it has a much slower CPU, but hopefully I can live with the Proclaim.

Sprint wasn't that great of service in my area, so I'm hoping the Proclaim really is always Verizon. Almost all the phones at my Walmart were all Sprint.

Feedback Score
    It has been about 20 hours without a recharge and I am at 71%. (light texting and about 15 minutes of Iheartradio streaming which probably pretty hard on battery). So much better now. I bet if I had not streamed I would still be over 90%.

I uninstalled those apps listed above, cleared task memory and some built-in apps. So probably some app and/or something to do with keeping 3g off. Probably will take time to narrow down which one.

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    12 hours? I'm glad to get like 7 hours. I'm pretty heavy user though. I average about 4-6 hours on my infuse with a 1700mAH battery.

Sent from my SGH-I997 using HowardForums

Feedback Score
    An extended battery will help. I don't know what is out there. I guess check Ebay for an extended battery.for the Illusion too . If battery life is most important issue maybe you should downgrade to non-smartphone.

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    You mentioned turning the wifi off to save battery. I don't know about this particular phone, but on my old android, I found that my battery got MUCH mor life if I went onto wifi every chance I could. The wifi modem used half of the power that the 3G modem did. I turned wifi to come on at work and home and went from 8 hours to nearly 2 days of battery life. Would be worth testing it out to see what would work better with the proclaim.

Feedback Score
    Also, did you let the battery "go dead" first couple of times or so? This is supposed to increase battery performance.

Feedback Score
    I had both 3g and wifi off with the phone asleep when it drained in 12 hours two days in a row after charging it. I had only sent and received 1 text during that time. No phone calls and not doing anything else either. The specs on that phone are Standby Time: Up to 16 Days.

Like I said the battery life is much better now. It appears some app I installed or a built-in app I am not using was draining the battery. Like Accuweather, Andriod System info which were the only two I installed or the built in DRM, etc, which I removed. I also use keep using task scheduler to clear memory which may have helped improve my battery life.

It just trying to figure out which of these apps that I was not using caused the problem at this point.

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Some programs like Accuweather are checking in with their "home base" on the internet, sometimes multiple times per minute, to update the forecast. If you installed a widget on the desktop, it's great because it's always up to date with the current temp and conditions, but it's also draining battery from all those checks. As you may suspect, some apps are way more efficient at that than others, and some check more often than others. Some will even let you set the frequency with which they "phone home". That may help you identify what might be draining you. It's wonderful, but the battery life is the price you pay.

Phones
    Samsung U430 (fully functioinal bluetooth)
    Moto Droid as an accessory
    LG VX8350 (retired)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    My experience: Fancy Widgets allows you to completely control refresh.

Feedback Score
    My wife and I both have the Proclaim.(about 6 months old) about 3 weeks ago her phone started this massive battery drain. I have tried uninstalling apps, disconnecting/reconnecting wi-fi, I also replaced the battery. she can charge it in the evening, go to sleep with a full charge, and it is almost dead, asking for a recharge 7 hours later while it has not been used. last night after 4 hours on the charger it was still only at 52%. I have found it impossible to get through to ST service on the phone. I have tried everything suggested on this thread so far. Any other suggestions?

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score

Re: Samsung Proclaim Battery Drains Every 12 hours

I also had horrible battery drain on mine. I kept it 2 weeks before returning it. It would drain in 3-4 hours with moderate use and wouldn't charge unless you just left it alone. In fact I noticed while on the charger, while texting and calling, it would continue to discharge at a very slow pace or just keep a stationary charge. Almost like it didn't have enough charging power. From 50% to a full charge would take me sometimes 3- 4hours. I can get my Burst to charge from 5% to 100% in an hour, maybe hour and half. I think the proclaim has some serious power management issues. I have never had a phone act like that before. I even tried a 2nd battery and still did it. I tried the battery calibration which didn't help either. Once it was dead I knew I would basically be without a phone while it was charging.

Sent from my PantechP9070 using HowardForums

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast