Thread: Most Versatile Unlocked Droid phone for Straight Talk, Tmobile, & ATT?

Feedback Score

Most Versatile Unlocked Droid phone for Straight Talk, Tmobile, & ATT?

I am currently coming off of contract (USA) and would like to buy an Android based phone (HTC Explorer or something equally low/middle of the road) for use on prepaid plans (this would be my first phone with a data package). But I don't want to get stuck into a single prepaid plan either!

I would like to try Straight Talk first, but if that doesn't work out well, I would like to have the option of going to Tmobile (or any of the TM affiliates offering prepaid on the TM networks) or even return to AT&T and ideally I would like to maintain 3G ability on all 3 networks (if possible)?

I'm finding it hard to find an unlocked GSM Droid phone that utilizes 850/900/1800/1900 AND 1700/2100mhz (for Tmobile 3G).

My Straight Talk market code is "market=GSM5ATSPRCO" when I type in my zip code which according to the HOFO wiki means a combination of T-Mobile (Model #s ending in G), Verizon (model #s ending in C), AT&T (Nokia Symbian Smartphones), and Sprint (Android) phones.

But does this indicate that the only Android phones I could use on the Straight Talk network in my area would be a Sprint based unlocked phone? If I got a regular GSM quad-band, unlocked phone (850/900/1800/1900) would it not work on Straight Talk?

Is there any phone out there that has ALL the bands of ALL the carriers? Or can anybody who is "in the know" point me in the direction of an Android phone that is the most versatile as far as moving to networks and maintaining 3G ability? Or can someone inform me if any unlocked quad band GSM Droid phone can be used on all three (Straight Talk, Tmobile, AT&T) Networks? And if it will work, will it only work in 3G in some or all networks? Will it surf ok in EDGE mode (or whatever is below 3G)?

Basically, ideally I'd prefer one Droid phone that can get 3G on the most networks with a simple switch of a SIM, and if that is impossible, what is the next most versatile option to go in? Its way more complicated than I originally realized. Thanks to any that can help clarify!!!

Phone
    Optimus G
    Carrier
    Not Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Galaxy Nexus and the International version of the One X are two that come to mind. You are not gonna find many low end pentaband phones.

Sent from my LG-P930 using HowardForum

Edit: Looks like not even the international One X is pentaband. Could have sworn it was. Good luck.
    Last edited by spekkio; 05-22-2012 at 05:27 PM.

Feedback Score
    The Galaxy Nexus is pentaband, so it'll get both AT&T and Tmobile's 3g and 4g.

There is evidence that the t-mobile HTC Amaze is 3g or even 4g capable on AT&T.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...1300714&page=8

Those are the only two I can think of.

Carriers
    BYOD ST T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The Galaxy nexus is probably your best bet. You don't need to root or load roms to get all the carrier bloatware off of them. Pure android. Some other phones that have the ATT and Tmobile 3g bands are the HTC One X (ATT version), Galaxy S Blaze 4g T769, and the Tmobile Version of the Galaxy S2 T989. Remember the phones have to be unlocked and they are missing the 900 3g band (nobody uses that in North America for 3g). Their really isn't a cheap phone that can use both of these networks. The cheapest phone that I know of that can use both 3g networks is the Lumia 710 which can be had for around $150.

Feedback Score
    can the Lumia 710 really use 3g on both T-mobile and ATT? The spec does not show 1900mhz.
    My girlfriend wants that phone on straight talk but I've been telling her it will be slow...

Carriers
    BYOD ST T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Yup it can. You need to unlock it which takes a few days to get a code but then its all good.

Source: http://www.nokia.com/us-en/products/...pecifications/
    then click under hardware to get the frequencies to show it has 850/1700/1900/2100 3g bands

Feedback Score
    Thanks everyone, much appreciated... I don't mind spending more to have more flexibility (and a better phone to boot)... But that Lumia 710 that Poki mentioned being able to score for around $150, I only see it on Expansys website for $379? Are there better stores to purchase a phone from or am I just looking at the wrong Lumia 710? Or is the $150 a used price? Thanks again...

Carriers
    BYOD ST T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    thats used. you can get them between 200 -249 new. Just make sure its a rogers or Tmobile version. The international version doesn't have the 1700 3g band

Ebay has a few for 250 and amazon has them for 248. Tmobile you can buy them for $199 + tax with activation of a new prepaid plan.

Carriers
    StraightTalk / AT&T
    Feedback Score
    BTW, the SGS-T989 (Tmobile SII) is a pentaband. If you're willing to buy used, there are about to be a bunch of them on ebay when the SIII comes out in ...June(?). The prices will drop (supply and demand, no longer a 'top' phone, etc.)
    I use a T989 with ST/ATT, and it works just fine.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by poki View Post
    thats used. you can get them between 200 -249 new. Just make sure its a rogers or Tmobile version. The international version doesn't have the 1700 3g band

Ebay has a few for 250 and amazon has them for 248. Tmobile you can buy them for $199 + tax with activation of a new prepaid plan.
    I see $349 for Lumia 710.

Phone
    Optimus G
    Carrier
    Not Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Gazelle Store on eBay has a used 710 listed in good condition for $167 w/ free shipping.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by poki View Post

Even if I buy the Lumia through Tmobile it will still be unlocked? If I try Tmobile and their Tmobile branded Lumia out for a month and don't like the service, can I just pop in an AT&T sim and it will also work on their 3g/4g bands with no issues?

Feedback Score
    Also, if a phone is "HSDPA" does that mean Tmobile and AT&T can use that for 3g? Or does Tmobile still require 1700mhz even if a phone is HSPDA?