Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Questions about Safelink - their website is useless

Feedback Score

Questions about Safelink - their website is useless

My father qualifies for a Safelink phone. He currently has a phone through Virgin Mobile prepaid but it's costing too much. If he gets the Safelink phone, can he transfer his Virgin Mobile number to the Safelink phone? Then if later he decides not to use the Safelink phone, can he transfer the same number to another prepaid provider (like Page Plus or Virgin Mobile)? The idea is to not lose his current phone number.

If it's possible to transfer his phone number to Safelink, how would he go about doing that? Like I said, Safelink's website does not provide enough detailed info.

Thanks.

Phones
    :: Samsung Galaxy S2 :: Nokia Lumia 635 :: LG Optimus F3 :: Nokia Lumia 521 ::
    :: Samsung Galaxy S2 ::
    :: Nokia Lumia 521 ::
    Carrier
    ::T~Mobile 2 Go :: Lycamobile :: PTel ::
    Feedback Score
    http://www.assurancewireless.com/Public/Welcome.aspx
    Since he is on Virgin Mobile now, have you checked out Assurance Wireless, it is from Virgin Mobile and might be better for his needs, they might be able to do all that for him.

Quote Originally Posted by blilb View Post
    My father qualifies for a Safelink phone. He currently has a phone through Virgin Mobile prepaid but it's costing too much. If he gets the Safelink phone, can he transfer his Virgin Mobile number to the Safelink phone? Then if later he decides not to use the Safelink phone, can he transfer the same number to another prepaid provider (like Page Plus or Virgin Mobile)? The idea is to not lose his current phone number.

If it's possible to transfer his phone number to Safelink, how would he go about doing that? Like I said, Safelink's website does not provide enough detailed info.

Thanks.
    After I heard about the new T~Mobile Prepaid Plans

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blilb View Post
    My father qualifies for a Safelink phone. He currently has a phone through Virgin Mobile prepaid but it's costing too much. If he gets the Safelink phone, can he transfer his Virgin Mobile number to the Safelink phone? Then if later he decides not to use the Safelink phone, can he transfer the same number to another prepaid provider (like Page Plus or Virgin Mobile)? The idea is to not lose his current phone number. If it's possible to transfer his phone number to Safelink, how would he go about doing that? Like I said, Safelink's website does not provide enough detailed info. Thanks.
    All your questions are answered on the Safelink website. Click on 'Learn More.'

But since you asked, yes you can keep your current number and yes you can keep it if you later cancel your Safelink service. You port out the way you port out of any carrier. If/when you leave Safelink (it's called dis-enrolling), you get to keep the phone and the minutes. This is all on the website.

SnowyWhite is wrong about VM/AssuranceWireless being the better choice. Safelink gives more minutes, has a better selection of phones and has rollover.

All of this is on the website.

Phones
    :: Samsung Galaxy S2 :: Nokia Lumia 635 :: LG Optimus F3 :: Nokia Lumia 521 ::
    :: Samsung Galaxy S2 ::
    :: Nokia Lumia 521 ::
    Carrier
    ::T~Mobile 2 Go :: Lycamobile :: PTel ::
    Feedback Score
    Yes, sorry, I don't really know much about SafeLink or the other Lifeline cell phones.

I should have said another option instead of better for his needs.
    I figured since his Father is already using Virgin Mobile switching to Assurance might be easier.

In Michigan SafeLink and Assurance both gives 250 minutes a month, maybe they offer different amounts of minutes in different states.
    I hear the commercials on the radio and both say 250 minutes each month.

Anyway in a month or two I am going to be trying to help set an older neighbor up with one of the Lifeline cell phones so I will be needing to find out more so I can help her.
    She is a Luddite* and needs a very simple phone, preferably on Verizon as she occasionally goes to a part of our state that is basically only covered by Verizon.

I'm sure I will have some questions to ask about the Lifeline programs.

*I am not saying that because she is older, but because she likes a very simple phone and will not text. She has some visual problems and some tremors with her hands. She just wants a phone to talk and for emergencies. She has a contract with Verizon that is ripping her off for what she is paying and getting and mentioned to me that when she is off her contract she would like to go with prepaid I said she sounded like a good candidate for Tracfone, but got to thinking that she probably would qualify for one of the Lifeline free cell phones.

I know another neighbor Lady who is 84 and she texts all the time with no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by annepani View Post
    SnowyWhite is wrong about VM/AssuranceWireless being the better choice. Safelink gives more minutes, has a better selection of phones and has rollover.

Feedback Score
    The above advice is incorrect. You cannot port a number TO a Safelink phone, nor can you port a Safelink number to another phone. Directly from their TOS contract (it is listed on the website, but you have to look for it):

2. ACTIVATION AND USE OF YOUR SAFELINK WIRELESS PHONE.
    Upon enrollment in the SAFELINK Program, you will receive a SAFELINK WIRELESS phone delivered to your home address noted in the application. You must accept the SAFELINK WIRELESS telephone number assigned to your SAFELINK WIRELESS phone at the time of activation and you will acquire no proprietary interest in any number assigned to you. The wireless telecommunications networks used to transmit calls for the SAFELINK WIRELESS Service are owned and operated by various licensed commercial mobile radio service providers ("Carriers"), not SAFELINK WIRELESS or TracFone Wireless. The number assigned to your SAFELINK WIRELESS phone at the time of activation will not be changed for any reason unless required by a Carrier or if the number is lost following the deactivation of your phone. You may not select a number to be assigned to your SAFELINK WIRELESS phone. Your SAFELINK WIRELESS phone can only be used through TracFone Wireless, and cannot be activated with any other wireless or cellular service. SAFELINK WIRELESS Services are provided at TracFone Wireless’ discretion. Some functions and features referenced in the Manufacturer's manual provided with your SAFELINK WIRELESS phone may not be available on your SAFELINK WIRELESS handset. TracFone Wireless may modify or cancel any SAFELINK Service or take corrective action at any time without prior notice and for any reason, including but not limited to your violation of these terms and conditions of service.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jijipoo View Post
    The above advice is incorrect. You cannot port a number TO a Safelink phone, nor can you port a Safelink number to another phone. Directly from their TOS contract (it is listed on the website, but you have to look for it)
    Don't rely on the website. Call SafeLink Customer Service and have them explain the process to you for porting your number. You can also get. at your own expense, any Tracfone except for Androids or other Tracfone-supported smartphones (iPhone, HTC Windows 7, Palm Pixi Plus, etc).

Since your father has the best service on Verizon, he would do better with SafeLink than AssuranceWireless which runs on the Sprint network.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    The above advice is incorrect. You cannot port a number TO a Safelink phone, nor can you port a Safelink number to another phone.
    In actual practice you are 100% wrong. Heed annepani`s advice. No one includes better roaming ability than Safelink.
    When you leave the program the Safelink phone looses the free airtime program and reverts to a plain Tracfone, with any remaining Safelink minutes/days still intact.

Feedback Score
    The above advice is incorrect. You cannot port a number TO a Safelink phone, nor can you port a Safelink number to another phone. Directly from their TOS contract . . .
    I can see where the TOS might be interpreted as you have, but I think what it is trying to say is that you can't just make up any random number you want as opposed to transferring an active number you already have been assigned. If you currently have a number assigned to a phone currently active on another service, that number can be transferred but only at the time of activation. Likewise if you terminate your Safelink service that number can be transferred to another service if the termination/activation process is coordinated. It is US Federal law that you be able to transfer a number between carriers.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkTF View Post
    If you currently have a number assigned to a phone currently active on another service, that number can be transferred but only at the time of activation. It is US Federal law that you be able to transfer a number between carriers.
    I don't believe number porting is limited to the time of activation. I believe you can port an existing number at any time.

Feedback Score
    It's possible that the Federal porting law does not apply to numbers that are actively in service with Safelink. An active Safelink number has to remain with Safelink. Tracfone may have a special pool of numbers to use, possibly new numbers that aren't junked up with spam. You aren't allowed to port into Safelink in case your number is suspicious. You might be able to port out if you stop Safelink service and the phone reverts to a regular Tracfone, I don't know. Transfers to a different handset do not involve a number change, so they are not a concern.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by annepani View Post
    I don't believe number porting is limited to the time of activation. I believe you can port an existing number at any time.
    That may be. The main intent of the law, as I understand it, is to allow a person to switch service between providers without losing one's current telephone number so transferring a number at the time of deactivation/activation is certainly required.

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/portabilit...vice-providers

Feedback Score
    Apologies for my misinterpretation. I had a friend who tried to port a number to a Safelink and was unsuccessful- the CSR told her she could not do that, so I had assumed that was the case. And in a related note... do you folks have a better customer service number to reach them at (live person who speaks English clearly, without an hour long wait time with bad Muzak? )

Feedback Score
    I don't know if that was because she had an existing TRACFONE that she wanted to port to SAFELINK? Perhaps that was the glitch?

Feedback Score
    305-715-6500 and ask for Corporate Resolutions.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Apologies for my misinterpretation. I had a friend who tried to port a number to a Safelink and was unsuccessful- the CSR told her she could not do that, so I had assumed that was the case. And in a related note... do you folks have a better customer service number to reach them at (live person who speaks English clearly, without an hour long wait time with bad Muzak? )
    Their "regular" CSR`s are very poorly trained. It seems they are instructed to make up something rather than say "I do not know". Or they just say wait 24 hours, which allows them to get off the call with you. Never trust what just one of the "regulars" say, it needs to be more like 3 out of five in agreement.

If Corporate Resolutions is busy you may be forwarded to regular CS without your knowledge. Feel free to end the call and try again when things go badly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast