Thread: Virgin Mobile 4G not "unlimited" after all (same 2.5GB cap)

Phones
    Samsung Moment
    Palm Pre
    iPhone 3G 8GB
    Carriers
    Sprint,
    Feedback Score

Virgin Mobile 4G not "unlimited" after all (same 2.5GB cap)

First looking at the VM terms for their EVO 4G it states:

4G (WiMax) where available. All plans include 2.5GB/month of full speed data or 3.5GB/month with purchase of mobile hotspot enabled device and plan.
    The "Unlimited" Mobile Broadband 3G/4G package states:

4G (WiMax) where available. Plans include 10GB Per Month of Full-Speed Data. Pricing for domestic service only. Prohibited data uses apply.
    A post to VM's facebook asking if the EVO 4G would also be throttled:

When VM launches the EVO 4G, will our 4G data use be unlimited? (Unlike the 2.5GB on the 3G network) Will be my main decision whether I upgrade to the EVO 4G and $35 plan or not as 4G is only going to make you go through your "unlimited" data that much faster.
    Got a "regular" customer responding first:

unlimited but up to 2.5 gb of full speed after that it will get throttled
    Followed by Virgin Mobile themselves with:

Ross is correct. It will throttle after you reach 2.5 gb.
    So my question is, has anyone actually seen anything in writing from VM stating that 4G would be unlimited? If the 2.5GB cap is indeed kept on to 4G phones as well, will you still upgrade to a more expensive plan for the same data cap?

I'm hoping I'm reading this wrong, but even if just going by VM's own TOS it clearly states 2.5GB on their 4G page. Didn't Boost Mobile confirm truly unlimited 4G for their EVO? Being the same network (under the same company) why can't VM do the same for it's customers?

Carrier
    VM
    Feedback Score
    Wimax is unlimited...4g/3g is the same 2.5gb a month then throttle if you go over.

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile (Galaxy S5) Tracfone (LG Fuel) & AT&T (HTC Desire 610)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wsoul1 View Post
    Wimax is unlimited...4g/3g is the same 2.5gb a month then throttle if you go over.
    WiMax is 4G.

Technically, Virgin Mobile's 3G is unlimited as well...but you don't get full speed once the cap is reached. They are also applying this standard to WiMax data users.

Phones
    Samsung Moment
    Palm Pre
    iPhone 3G 8GB
    Carriers
    Sprint,
    Feedback Score
    Right, but there was a lot of speculation that VM would offer true unlimited WiMax/4G with the EVO 4G.
    There's a thread in the Boost Mobile forum of how Boost will offer full unthrottled 4G access to it's customers (while 3G stays at 2.5GB) don't see why VM can't do the same for it's customer base.

I was thinking of adding the $15 mobile hotspot as well, but not if I'm crippled at 3.5GB even if I use only 4G data.

Phone
    iPhone 6 & Optimus G
    Carrier
    Verizon & Sprint
    Feedback Score

Not True

As posted by 503ducati a few threads below this one.
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...ttled-4G-WiMAX

Virgin Mobile confirms unthrottled 4G WiMAX

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/...nes/2012-05-08

Virgin Mobile's offerings start at $35 per month for unlimited messaging, 300 minutes of talk and unlimited data speeds. The carrier said there will be no throttling or caps on its WiMAX service. However, Virgin will slow users' CDMA data speeds after they consume 2.5 GB of data in a month. Users will be able to make use of the Evo V's tethering services for an extra $15 per month (and if they purchase the tethering plan, their CDMA data speeds will be slowed after 3.5 GB of data per month).

WiMAX coverage shown here: http://www.clear.com/coverage

Carrier
    Boost Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by billm261 View Post

Virgin Mobile's offerings start at $35 per month for unlimited messaging, 300 minutes of talk and unlimited data speeds. The carrier said there will be no throttling or caps on its WiMAX service. However, Virgin will slow users' CDMA data speeds after they consume 2.5 GB of data in a month. Users will be able to make use of the Evo V's tethering services for an extra $15 per month (and if they purchase the tethering plan, their CDMA data speeds will be slowed after 3.5 GB of data per month).

For most customers, the key sentence is the one after the the first part in red. For most people, unlimited and unthrottled internet means they can use as much internet as they want without it being slowed down for any reason. For most people slowing internet speeds after using 2.5 GB, or 3.5 GB of internet with a tethering plan, equals throttled internet or a limit put on what the carrier advertises as high speed internet. Virgin's argument is that most people do not use that much internet on their phone and therefore will have no reduction in their internet speeds. (Although there have been many on this site who have said their speeds are slowed down without getting near 2.5GB of internet.)

As long as this is their policy, it will be argued what is the true meaning of "throttling" and "unlimited high speed internet usages" is. It would be better for everyone if Virgin would just say they will not stop internet access, but will slow it down if you get a to a certain point. Even T-Mobile doesn't promise unlimited 4G internet and they'll allow a 5GB limit on a $50 plan. Virgin may think this is a nice way to attract customers who are looking for unlimited internet, but as shown in the threads, it has caused many to look elsewhere for phone service. It's only a matter of time before people view this as false advertising and try to sue Virgin like they sued Metro over their international calling plan.

Carrier
    Boost Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by corrupt81 View Post
    Didn't Boost Mobile confirm truly unlimited 4G for their EVO? Being the same network (under the same company) why can't VM do the same for it's customers?

To answer this question, later this year, Boost will adopt the same 2.5GB cap that Virgin Mobile has. That is why some customer who were on the fence about switching to other carriers are now making the switch. Especially since WiMax will not be expanding to newer areas. For them other carriers who offer 4G with LTE, with expanding LTE coverage, is a better option.

Phones
    Samsung Moment
    Palm Pre
    iPhone 3G 8GB
    Carriers
    Sprint,
    Feedback Score
    I'd like to see a link where Virgin officially says WiMax will be unthrottled. Even in their press release it doesn't say anything other than "unlimited" data.

If you go by VM's own website and VM's facebook posting, whether you use 3G or 4G, you will be throttled after 2.5GB. (3.5GB if you fork over an extra $15 for hotspot.)

The only exception as mentioned in the original post is their 3G/4G data plan, which nets you a 10GB cap.

Phone
    Nexus 6
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

- That link didn't work for me, here's it again: http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/...nes/2012-05-08

- Also, in addition to the comments on the above article here is another discussion on this very subject starting here: http://androidforums.com/virgin-mobi...ile-usa-7.html

- Also The Verge:http://mobile.theverge.com/2012/5/8/...t-photos-video
    Sensorly --- Signal Check Pro --- Root Metrics

$40 - Unlimited (Framily)
    $15 - 2GB Tablet Plan

HAVE YOU READ THE FORUM RULES??

Phone
    HTC_One_(M8)_WP, HTC_816_Phablet
    Carrier
    VZW_PrePd, VM
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Virgin Mobile HTC WFS: Opera/9.80 (Android; Opera Mini/7.29703/27.1741; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 Version/11.10)

Quote Originally Posted by corrupt81
    I'd like to see a link where Virgin officially says WiMax will be unthrottled. Even in their press release it doesn't say anything other than "unlimited" data.

If you go by VM's own website and VM's facebook posting, whether you use 3G or 4G, you will be throttled after 2.5GB. (3.5GB if you fork over an extra $15 for hotspot.)

The only exception as mentioned in the original post is their 3G/4G data plan, which nets you a 10GB cap.
    Your assumptions are inaccurate regarding Wimax. Come May 31st we will see the actual plans and offers from Virgin Mobile USA.

Until then (or until VM posts an update to their website), this thread perhaps should merge with the VM Rumors & Speculations thread.
    No Contract means I have all the power.
    They want me, but they can't have me...

VZW PrePaid: $45 | VM: $20

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile (Galaxy S5) Tracfone (LG Fuel) & AT&T (HTC Desire 610)
    Feedback Score
    I'm working under the assumption VM will throttle anyone without a tether plan using more than 2.5 GB per month, regardless how (3G or 4G) that data was transmitted. Their "4G" offering is meant to boost speed capabilities for those who have the hardware, but is not meant to facilitate an increase of overall data usage in a given time period.

Phone
    iPhone 6 & Optimus G
    Carrier
    Verizon & Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Sprint recently reached an agreement with Clear for unlimited access to the Wi-Max network.

Unlimited devices, unlimited usage which we all know will diminish one LTE takes hold.

We need to treat Clear like the 3rd party vendor they are. Sprint does NOT own Clearwire. They own 55% of the preferred stock but yet a non controlling interest.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using HowardForums

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Sprint recently reached an agreement with Clear for unlimited access to the Wi-Max network.

Unlimited devices, unlimited usage which we all know will diminish one LTE takes hold
    That agreement is at the company to company (wholesale) level and only applies to Sprint retail services. Sprint will still pay usage based charges for wholesale customers, per Clearwire's 10-K. I haven't asked Sprint and Clearwire Investor Relations yet, but I'm not clear if "wholesale customers" means non-Sprint owned MVNO's or all MVNO's including VM USA and Boost. Regardless, there is no guarantee that Sprint will offer retail customers "unlimited" WiMax access. It could happen, but don't assume that A automatically leads to B.

Sprint does NOT own Clearwire. They own 55% of the preferred stock but yet a non controlling interest.
    As of March 31, 2012, Sprint Nextel owns 74.8% of the Clearwire Class B common stock and zero% of the Class A common stock, giving Sprint Nextel an overall ownership percentage of 47.1%. In an attempt to mellow out Sprint investors, Sprint is intentionally not taking an overall controlling interest in Clearwire in a tactical move related to avoiding potential financial problems if Clearwire tanks.

Phone
    HTC_One_(M8)_WP, HTC_816_Phablet
    Carrier
    VZW_PrePd, VM
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Virgin Mobile HTC WFS: Opera/9.80 (Android; Opera Mini/7.29952/27.1813; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 Version/11.10)

Boost Mobile and Virgin Mobile are not mvno's, they are part of Sprint's in-house (SPG) prepaid service.

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    I guess I can hold onto my Triumph for an extra month in order to see, 1. If anyone was throttled, and 2. What their data speeds are. If no throttling occurs, and speeds are relatively decent, then I can pick up the Evo V. Also be able to see what's up with rooting, roms and tethering.