Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Verizon's 3G network has become so slow that it's basically useless.

Carriers
    Verizon
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Thumbs down Verizon's 3G network has become so slow that it's basically useless.

In my area (Metro Atlanta) the Verizon 3G data speeds have taken a drastic nosedive over the past year or so to the point where it's basically useless. A year ago I was able to get 1.5 Mbps to 2.5 Mbps almost anywhere I went. Now, I am lucky to break 300 kbps unless it's very late at night. The slow speeds aren't isolated to one area I've experienced the same terrible speeds in Midtown, Buckhead, Alpharetta, Marietta, Kennesaw, Hiram, Dallas, Villa Rica, Douglasville, Newnan, Columbus, Dawsonville, Tallapoosa, and many other areas. Everyone I know with a 3G phone or aircard is getting the same horrible speeds as I am. It's very clear that Verizon has oversold their network in this area and is doing nothing to fix the issues. It reminds me of what happened to AT&T around here until they decided to heavily improve their network and bring 3G speeds back to where they should be. Verizon needs to realize that a HUGE majority of their customers are still on their 3G network and will be for a long time so they can't just stop investing in it.Name:  photo2.PNG
Views: 8975
Size:  314.5 KB

Phone
    iPhone 5S Gold
    Carrier
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I thought mine were bad yesterday. I'm still registering 1Mbps here in rural BFE, but that seems to drop everyday. Sad because VZW was really solid here, but I saw it coming for a while.

Phones
    A phone
    with buttons
    'n stuff
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    They are doing something about it though. They are getting everyone to move to tiered plans so they aren't trying to stream HD Netflix 22 hours a day and compete with their friends on how much data they can use.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Phones
    Samsung U430 (fully functioinal bluetooth)
    Moto Droid as an accessory
    LG VX8350 (retired)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Let's start a petition to ban the iphone.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using HowardForums

Phones
    iPhone 5 (Verizon)
    iPhone 5 (Verizon)
    iPhone 4S (T-Mo)
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Yep, same here. 0.75mbps is common maybe 1-ish off peak. They are oversold big time, every Tom, ****, and Harry is on EVDO streaming Netflix I guess :-)

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveanderson13 View Post
    Let's start a petition to ban the iphone.
    I'd support it. It brings nothing but trouble to everyone else. Apple rakes in the cash but everyone else suffers.
    iPhone users were the worst customers I had to deal with anyways while working at tech support, the most arrogant, rude, obnoxious when their precious "god" phone wasn't working up to snuff. Its thanks to that damn phone that carriers are screwing their customers more lately due to Apple screwing them over subsidies. I really hate that phone so much.

Carriers
    Verizon
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    This thread wasn't created to start a flaming war against the iPhone.... The iPhone has nothing to do with Verizon's 3G network going to crap other than the fact that they selling significantly more 3G iPhone's than all 4G devices combined because apparently most people prefer the iPhone to Android. They should be investing in network improvements to keep up with demand rather than sitting back doing nothing but investing in a 4G network that most customers don't use or care about.

Phones
    iPhone 5S
    Galaxy Nexus
    BlackBerry Curve, 8830
    Carriers
    at&t, Verizon
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chris4434 View Post
    This thread wasn't created to start a flaming war against the iPhone.... The iPhone has nothing to do with Verizon's 3G network going to crap other than the fact that they selling significantly more 3G iPhone's than all 4G devices combined because apparently most people prefer the iPhone to Android. They should be investing in network improvements to keep up with demand rather than sitting back doing nothing but investing in a 4G network that most customers don't use or care about.
    I completely agree; I can literally see speeds getting slower every month.

I will say that I just moved to L.A., and the southland is one of their better performing areas. I was sitting in traffic on the 405 (what else is new) and had a small buffering problem on a song, but other than that, I've found the network to perform admirably.

Verizon's 4G network.

I live in California, not New York. I actually dislike New York.

Phone
    Motorola X
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    ... or, they could continue putting money into their 4G network that will be the only thing that people care about once the LTE iPhone is released. There's no point in increasing 3G network capacity when there is a reasonable expectation that the next iPhone launch will alleviate a significant amount of the load on your 3G network. As a current 4G user, I would much rather that Verizon invest in its 4G network to prevent a repeat of the 3G problem rather than having Verizon waste a whole bunch of money to go back and marginally increase the capacity of a network that, let's be honest, wasn't that great in the first place.

Redwood Valley, Northwestern California (Previous-Pocatello, Idaho(90-97)/Southern California(71-90)
    Phone
    HTC One M8/LG G3/LG G Pad 7.0LTE/Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Nokia Lumia 635
    Carrier
    AT&T/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by newyork4me View Post

I will say that I just moved to L.A., and the southland is one of their better performing areas. I was sitting in traffic on the 405 (what else is new)

Time to discover Metrolink, Amtrak California and Metrorail. The new Expo Line is about to open to Culver City by the way, the next phase takes it to Santa Monica.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expo_Li...Angeles_Metro)

Dismissed cadets.

Phones
    iPhone 5S
    Galaxy Nexus
    BlackBerry Curve, 8830
    Carriers
    at&t, Verizon
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sc4fpse View Post
    ... or, they could continue putting money into their 4G network that will be the only thing that people care about once the LTE iPhone is released. There's no point in increasing 3G network capacity when there is a reasonable expectation that the next iPhone launch will alleviate a significant amount of the load on your 3G network. As a current 4G user, I would much rather that Verizon invest in its 4G network to prevent a repeat of the 3G problem rather than having Verizon waste a whole bunch of money to go back and marginally increase the capacity of a network that, let's be honest, wasn't that great in the first place.
    Except most of the investment for 3G shouldn't likely be equipment--VZW has spare 3G equipment and is getting more all the time as they take down EVDO channels and antennas to add LTE equipment. Also, equipment is cheap. More than likely, the investment would be in adding cell sites. That is something you want, as those new cell sites also increases capacity for LTE.

Phones
    iPhone 5S
    Galaxy Nexus
    BlackBerry Curve, 8830
    Carriers
    at&t, Verizon
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ilvla2 View Post
    Time to discover Metrolink, Amtrak California and Metrorail. The new Expo Line is about to open to Culver City by the way, the next phase takes it to Santa Monica.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expo_Li...Angeles_Metro)

Dismissed cadets.
    I saw a billboard for Amtrak California that said "California is not a flyover state" and thought it was pretty clever. I might take it up north sometime, but I'm much more of a sunny weather and beach type of person--I do want to make it up to see the Redwood forest and places where you live, but I couldn't care less about the bay area.

For the metrolink, I'm probably more likely to gnaw my own leg off than ride public transit--especially in Los Angeles. Though, in addition to the hardtop convertible I took out here, I did just buy a Volt, so I get solo carpool lane access, lots of free parking, and it is green (to appease those who might care). Kinda takes all the reasons to ride public transit away.

Oh, and to keep this remotely on topic--all of the areas mentioned for Metrolink and rail are covered by LTE and most perform pretty well on 3G.

Phones
    Samsung U430 (fully functioinal bluetooth)
    Moto Droid as an accessory
    LG VX8350 (retired)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    This thread wasn't created to start a flaming war against the iPhone.
    Sorry, it was just a joke. Shoulda used an emoticon.

Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Well Verizon has provided a solution, it's up to users and makers to get rid of outdated devices.

Verizon offers great speeds in Atlanta, you just have to have a capable device. The same thing if your using a GSM only device on AT&T, duh you won't get fast speeds but they offer a faster network. Just like when the first iPhone was released.

Phone
    Nexus 5
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Those speeds aren't bad if you were on Sprint.

Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast