Thread: iPhone 4S with bad ESN

Phones
    ic902 employee account
    Sprint Ace.....for now until I get the touch pro
    Carriers
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

iPhone 4S with bad ESN

Can you use an Iphone 4s with bad esn on ST? did a search and didn't yield any results. Also is it possible to use with other gsm carriers if you jailbreak even though it's bad esn? thanks

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by xmatic View Post
    Can you use an Iphone 4s with bad esn on ST? did a search and didn't yield any results. Also is it possible to use with other gsm carriers if you jailbreak even though it's bad esn? thanks
    stolen ESN no, deadbeat account ESN probably if the ESN is not active with the provider that has the deadbeat account.

Phones
    ic902 employee account
    Carriers
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ivaz View Post
    stolen ESN no, deadbeat account ESN probably if the ESN is not active with the provider that has the deadbeat account.
    So I was planning on buying an iPhone with bad esn off Craiglist because it would be substantially cheaper. There's no way of me knowing if it was a deadbeat or stolen unit. But if these phones with bad esn can't be activated why are they sought of so much online and still fetch lots of money? Some of these listings claim you can "flash" the phones with other carriers even with bad esn

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Since ESN's are only used for CDMA phones, you would not be able to use a CDMA iPhone on Straight Talk regardless of whether the ESN is good or bad. Only GSM iPhones with International Mobile Equipment Identifiers (IMEI) can be used on Straight Talk.
    Last edited by efparri; 05-25-2012 at 10:02 AM.
    Earl F. Parrish

Phones
    ic902 employee account
    Carriers
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    Since ESN's are only used for CDMA phones, you would not be able to use a CDMA iPhone on Straight Talk regardless of whether the ESN is good or bad. Only GSM iPhones with International Mobile Equipment Identifiers (IMEI) can be use on Straight Talk.
    So if I purchase a GSM iphone 4s, like an att version, but with bad esn I can register it with straight talk?

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    So if I purchase a GSM iphone 4s, like an att version, but with bad esn I can register it with straight talk?
    you want to go with PagePlus. plus, you can ask he seller for the ESN and check it at verizon before buying. Or meet them at the store. If they won't do that you can feel safe they are holding a hot phone and just dont buy it.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    There is no ESN with GSM phones. I thought that I made that clear in my earlier reply.

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    If you get a CDMA iPhone 4S with a bad ESN it has to have IOS 5.0 or IOS 5.0.1 on it in order to unlock it with a gevey sim so it will use the GSM networks instead of CDMA.
    I buy broken/used iPhones (4 & 4S) on any carrier! PM me info about your phone and your asking price and I'll get back to you!

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    This may all be moot within 6 months. The 4carriers are banding together to create a registry to prevent use of stolen phones. Any phone that gets listed on the registry will be no longer useable any network. They are going to disable them somehow. See this article for more info.
    http://www.rcrwireless.com/article/2...stolen-phones/

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    If the phone isn't stolen but has a bad esn due to non-payment then they shouldn't be able to put those in (as the carrier writes the phone off, the person who doesn't pay gets their credit score hurt... yada yada yada.)

All this does is hurt the end users... not the criminals. So in 6 months are a ton of phones going to go dead? That's going to piss off a lot of users who will undoubtedly only end up getting mad at their carriers.

If Apple weren't such crappy people, any phone reported stolen should be bricked from Apple's side. That way it can't be sold, can't be used, and no one gets ripped off unknowingly. But instead, this back-asswards way of dealing with it only hurts people who are trying to get used phones. The reason the big 4 are doing this is because they get to sell more phones due to fear of buying a bad phone.

More crap thanks to idiotic business conglomerates and the pockets they're into in our government.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bpaulson View Post
    If you get a CDMA iPhone 4S with a bad ESN it has to have IOS 5.0 or IOS 5.0.1 on it in order to unlock it with a gevey sim so it will use the GSM networks instead of CDMA.
    Or you can buy a att iphone 4 or 4s and st micro and be done and not have to fool with that bs!

I know bad esn Verizon iphone are cheaper but with everybody wanting 4s and trying to sell for iphone 5, there not much of a price difference

Sent from my R800at using HowardForums

Feedback Score
    But if these phones with bad esn can't be activated why are they sought of so much online and still fetch lots of money?
    "Parts is parts." Same reason a stolen Honda Civic is worth more as parts. Also, like a stolen license plate, there are "creative things" you can do with such a device.

Carrier
    Straight talk
    Feedback Score
    Can't you disable this possibility by disabling the "kill switch" of an iPhone?

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pzwnyc View Post
    "Parts is parts." Same reason a stolen Honda Civic is worth more as parts. Also, like a stolen license plate, there are "creative things" you can do with such a device.
    Very wrong... the only thing worth money in the iPhone is the board itself which houses the ESN. Unless you can change it, it's not worth anything. The rest of the phone is worth maybe $75 if it was in mint condition parts wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayossno1 View Post
    Can't you disable this possibility by disabling the "kill switch" of an iPhone?
    It won't have anything to do with the phone itself, it has everything to do with the provider blocking service to that specific phone. There's nothing you would be able to do.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bpaulson View Post
    Very wrong... the only thing worth money in the iPhone is the board itself which houses the ESN. Unless you can change it, it's not worth anything. The rest of the phone is worth maybe $75 if it was in mint condition parts wise.
    http://www.repairlaunch.com/blog/iph...ts-have-value/

$189.41 is a lot of money to a homeless person, or someone on welfare.

Also, even when the phone registry begins operation, it will only prevent stolen phones from being used in the US. Your stolen phone can still be resold or used in places like the DPRK.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast