Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: iPhone 4S with bad ESN

Feedback Score
    Also, a lot of people fail to realize that jot everyone buys bad esn phones for parts or flashing. I've bought them before to use an iPod touch with games wifi etc

Sent from my LG-VM670 using HowardForums

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cpcollector View Post
    Also, a lot of people fail to realize that jot everyone buys bad esn phones for parts or flashing. I've bought them before to use an iPod touch with games wifi etc
    Sure, why not? I use my collection of old Droids as mini tablets, and GV/Skype phones. They also make great dedicated Google Authenticator devices, to keep around the computer.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    Since ESN's are only used for CDMA phones, you would not be able to use a CDMA iPhone on Straight Talk regardless of whether the ESN is good or bad. Only GSM iPhones with International Mobile Equipment Identifiers (IMEI) can be used on Straight Talk.
    I know of PLENTY of people who are ABLE to use a Verizon or Sprint CDMA based iPhone 4S on Straight Talk service. It's called "GEVEY SIM"...that's all it takes considering everyone in this thread fails to realize that a CDMA iPhone 4S also has a sim card slot and all the 3G bands as the GSM version - this is for international use but can be used on T-Mobile & AT&T as well if the phone is unlocked.

That phone would be 100% functional in regards to service, data, mms, etc on AT&T with a purchase of a Gevey Sim. The iPhone 4 is a totally different story as that phone has no sim slot and no GSM capabilities.

Now how can Straight Talk know which phone you're using and if it's a stolen phone or not?
    I would worry more about the original user doing a device wipe or a find my iPhone through iCloud.
    Now you can just connect disable find my iPhone and location services when you get the phone and no one would be able to track you down if such a thing is even possible.

Call up Apple and ask them what needs to be done to have a stolen iPhone untraceable...and what I mean is - call up to find out in which cases iCloud can't provide a way to find the thief. They will give you this information and then you just know the loophole behind it. I know if the phone is on Airplane mode then it has no access to iCloud at all...what happens when you wipe it and link the phone to your iTunes account is a different story? I haven't looked into it but I'm sure it's not hard to steal an iPhone 4s and use it nowadays.
    Once again folks... the iPhone 4S has a sim card slot in it - no matter which carrier and ALL iPhone 4S's right now can be Unlocked or Jailbroken or both! The only issue as of now is with iPhone 4's that don't have their basebands preserved...those cannot be unlocked unless the unlock from a month ago was saved on Cydia's server or if your beloved carrier has agreed to unlock it for you.

Feedback Score
    Apple still hasn't even solved the stolen iDevice, iMessage problem; and only does so on a case by case basis.
    http://thenextweb.com/apple/2012/02/...-imessage-bug/

Phones
    iPhone 5 (Verizon)
    iPhone 5 (Verizon)
    iPhone 4S (T-Mo)
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pzwnyc View Post
    Apple still hasn't even solved the stolen iDevice, iMessage problem; and only does so on a case by case basis.
    http://thenextweb.com/apple/2012/02/...-imessage-bug/
    This is actually a real concern and the reason I have never enabled or used iMessage, and won't.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pabster View Post
    This is actually a real concern and the reason I have never enabled or used iMessage, and won't.
    I have a friend who sold his iPhone a month ago and got an Android.
    He's been complaining that he hasn't been getting text messages anymore from all people who have iPhones and that makes up a majority of his friends and family.
    So I decided I will do him a favor and turn my iMessage on for a quick minute (since I despise it) and lo and behold he showed up as "BLUE". Turns out he never shut off his iMessage before he sold his iPhone which is now in the hands of someone else and in EUROPE!

He tried numerous times to call Apple and have them take him off their server but they weren't able to help him and told him to contact the person he sold the device too. Considering he has no contact with that person as it wasn't a friend that he sold it too, his text messaging remains hijacked at the hands of Apple.
    Speaking to AT&T and iPhone senior advisors he has been advised that he must cut his current sim that he uses with an Android into a micro sim card and then place it in someone else's iPhone 4/4S and then turn on iMessage, wait to register then turn it off and restart the device and he's off the servers. He also needs to have another user with an iPhone around him just to make sure he shows up as Green rather than Blue to make sure he's definately off iMessage.

The fact that Apple decided to have iMessage override your existing #'s texting is just pure stupidity. There are people who have no data plans and are in WiFi 1 hour a day and they have unlimited texting plans. Now when people send them a text after they leave WiFi, the text goes into iMessage rather than a regular text. There is absolutely no reason why your #'s texting capabilities should be incorporated with a third party messaging platform/app when you're paying for unlimited texting. Another problem with iMessage is that many messages aren't delivered, there seems to be an issue with messages stated to be delivered that never reach the other device. I have run a bunch of tests on this an can say iMessage is not reliable!

Therefore, you couldn't pay me to use iMessage and I hope Apple has implemented keeping iMessage OFF by default on all new devices and a caution about it prior to using.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyNY View Post
    I have a friend who sold his iPhone a month ago Turns out he never shut off his iMessage before he sold his iPhone which is now in the hands of someone else and in EUROPE!...

...He tried numerous times to call Apple and have them take him off their server but they weren't able to help him and told him to contact the person he sold the device too...
    So, to prevent the problem; all one has to do is remember to turn off iMessages on the iDevice before getting rid of it?

Phones
    iPhone 5 (Verizon)
    iPhone 5 (Verizon)
    iPhone 4S (T-Mo)
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I have never enabled or used it, and won't. Google Voice is my iMessage :-)

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    I don't use iMessage either unless I'm sending a video or picture message that I want to be crystal clear.

If I send a video over regular mms it gets compressed and looks like crap.

That's about the only thing I like about iMessage, other than that it's always off!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bpaulson View Post
    I don't use iMessage either unless I'm sending a video or picture message that I want to be crystal clear.

If I send a video over regular mms it gets compressed and looks like crap.

That's about the only thing I like about iMessage, other than that it's always off!
    That's the smartest way to use iMessage actually...enable it for what you want then quickly disable it!
    MMS is terrible for big files as they always get compressed.

I have found that for sending high quality pics/videos - WhatsApp & Email are the best on the iPhone.

Also, the previous post is correct that all one has to do to disable iMessage is turn if OFF and restart the device to completely get off the iMessage server.
    The problem is that sometimes phones get stolen and most people don't know about this.
    A complete wipe of the phone will still leave you logged into iMessage, there is absolutely no way to log out other than turning it OFF from a device that has successfully logged on the #.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyNY View Post
    Also, the previous post is correct that all one has to do to disable iMessage is turn if OFF and restart the device to completely get off the iMessage server.
    The problem is that sometimes phones get stolen and most people don't know about this.
    A complete wipe of the phone will still leave you logged into iMessage, there is absolutely no way to log out other than turning it OFF from a device that has successfully logged on the #.
    So, the bottom line for why this problem even exists, is that Apple doesn't want to be in the RACF business of logging people out of their lost or stolen iDevices.

Phones
    iPhone 5 (Verizon)
    iPhone 5 (Verizon)
    iPhone 4S (T-Mo)
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Seems to me common sense would dictate a remote wipe would log you out of iMessage, Facetime, and every other linked service. Very stupid that it does not.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pabster View Post
    Seems to me common sense would dictate a remote wipe would log you out of iMessage, Facetime, and every other linked service. Very stupid that it does not.
    A remote wipe only wipes the information on the iDevice. The problem is that you did not log out of the iMessage server located at Apple's data center. Apple does not want to get into the business of hand holding people who forget to log out of the server. The analogy is your car gets stolen, and the county still taxes you; because you forgot to turn in the plates before getting rid of the car!

Phones
    iPhone 5 (Verizon)
    iPhone 5 (Verizon)
    iPhone 4S (T-Mo)
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pzwnyc View Post
    A remote wipe only wipes the information on the iDevice. The problem is that you did not log out of the iMessage server located at Apple's data center. Apple does not want to get into the business of hand holding people who forget to log out of the server. The analogy is your car gets stolen, and the county still taxes you; because you forgot to turn in the plates before getting rid of the car!
    Understood, but I guess my point is...why not offer an option in the web interface to sign OUT all devices or a specific device from iMessage and all other iCloud stuff? Seems very arcane and stupid. This has been a known issue for quite some time. Give the end user an easy way to turn off this stuff and remove a device. Not rocket science.

Carrier
    Straight talk
    Feedback Score
    iMessage is completely encrypted using advanced algorithms. It's the only widespread texting service that is totally and completely encrypted end-device to end-device so that there can't be any "man in the middle" interception of your messages. What I can't believe is that people are so willing to have every freaking SMS text they ever make LOGGED and STORED by their cellular provider. Sometimes (and this is in my experience rare) iMessages aren't delivered when a secure connection with a proper cypher isn't able to be achieved, but that is to be expected with such a revolutionary new way to send private messages. My private texts to people are MY Buisness and mine alone. iMessage allows secure texting and data transfer to make sure the carriers have literally NO record of anything that you send through their network. It's simply garbage code until it reaches the recipient and is constructed back into something legible. iMessage has room for improvement but for a first try it's pretty astonishing software. I'd rather die then have AT&T making log files out of my private messages.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast