Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Whats with the rumors of Verizon ending the employees discounts

Feedback Score

Whats with the rumors of Verizon ending the employees discounts

So whats the rumors with Verizon possibly ending the employee discounts of certain companies? I work for GE and get a 22% off of my primary line and 20% off of my unlimited data right now. I am not going to be renewing my contracts with Verizon any longer, ( all 4 lines will be out of contract by January of next year) but I am wondering if my bill up go up this much before my contracts run out. But at this point, I do expect for this to be the next thing to go. Thanks.

Carrier
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    I've heard for a while that they plan to get rid of all employee discounts eventually but not sure how true it is. I would be surprised if they cut the discounts while under the current contract. I figure on new contracts they will say its no longer offered. Just a rumor right now though.
    Running too many phones

Phones
    Samsung U430 (fully functioinal bluetooth)
    Moto Droid as an accessory
    LG VX8350 (retired)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I haven't seen anyone offer evidence.

Feedback Score
    Ya I bets its coming. Just like the end of my contract with Verizon, which I have had for around 15 years.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelly3630 View Post
    So whats the rumors with Verizon possibly ending the employee discounts of certain companies? I work for GE and get a 22% off of my primary line and 20% off of my unlimited data right now. I am not going to be renewing my contracts with Verizon any longer, ( all 4 lines will be out of contract by January of next year) but I am wondering if my bill up go up this much before my contracts run out. But at this point, I do expect for this to be the next thing to go. Thanks.
    The only thing that I've seen Verizon do with employee discounts has come with their no longer offering unlimited data. Currently you get your discount off of the $30 unlimited data feature if you have unlimited. If you have the $30 for 2gb, no discount. Move up to the $50 tier and you get your discount.

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy Note II
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Moto Droid
    Carrier
    VZDub
    Feedback Score
    Any removal of employee discounts would be based on the contract with each of these employers. These employee discounts are built-in the account agreement, and would only go away if your company agreed to the removal during the renewal of their contract.

It would be pretty tough for VZW to have any sort of blanket removal of employee discounts.

Phones
    LG VX8350 (retired)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Well put, mick. It's always possible then for an item like that to change on the employer side at his renewal since the employee is not privy. My discount actually went up from 15% to 17%.

But at the same time, for new contracts with employers since last summer Verizon raised the floor by introducing $30/2gig no discount and $50/5 with discount.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yeah, this isn't going to happen anytime soon. There are companies who have discount profiles set up through at least 2018. Also you can "lose" the discount when out of contract, the profile is still there just you don't get the discount due to being out of contract. In addition you'll only ever receive the percentage discount off the rate plan cost (unlimited text if built in) or the account level charge plus one line access. As stated above if the company discount profile has a data discount it would only ever apply to one data plan on the account and it's only 29.99/unlimited 44.99/unlimited w/ bes and 50.00/5gb or higher.

Phones
    LG VX8350 (retired)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BearsFan1337 View Post
    Yeah, this isn't going to happen anytime soon. There are companies who have discount profiles set up through at least 2018. Also you can "lose" the discount when out of contract, the profile is still there just you don't get the discount due to being out of contract.
    Wow, important to know, especially for OP. Never seen that discussed here. Very good reason to renew which even I was considering not doing. Thanks for posting; should be helpful to many people.

Phone
    iPhone, Epic, Moto Series, (many)
    Carriers
    Verizon
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score

Don't worry

This one seems very unlikely to happen at all. The corporate incentive to go all with one carrier is the discounts. It's not uncommon for a corporate plan to see 40 or more percent off of retail rates (on any carrier including Verizon).

As we see folks inside some of these national companies migrating to a stipend model, they already lose the deeper discount. Even 25% off retail is a downgrade from what a national company gets directly (i.e. Sears, IBM, you name it).

Anyway, this is sort of the competitive piece of the most lucrative accounts for the carrier. As someone else mentioned, these agreements also tend to be contract based that span sometimes many years.

-Dan

PS: Of course, everything is subject to change. Unless I saw internal documents or some evidence, I would classify this one as strictly rumor.
    ---
    http://pages.uoregon.edu/dalbrich
    Eugene, OR -- Pacific Northwest

Phone
    Blackberry Tour 9630
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    My company recently split in to 2 separate companies and our new company recently signed a new contract this spring. Good for awhile at least.

Phones
    Droid Maxx
    Retired: Many Motorola, such as DPC550,StarTac,V720. Also BB 9530,9850 (sigh)
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless (1994, GTE MobileNet)
    Feedback Score
    Is there a distinction to be made here between phones on a corporate-paid plan, and the discount offered to employees on employee-paid personal phones? As far as the companies are concerned, I would think that their big concern would be with the plans that they are paying for, not any benefit the employees have on their personal plans.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
    Is there a distinction to be made here between phones on a corporate-paid plan, and the discount offered to employees on employee-paid personal phones? As far as the companies are concerned, I would think that their big concern would be with the plans that they are paying for, not any benefit the employees have on their personal plans.

There is. Most companies have a corporate profile for the lines they pay for then a negotiated discount for their employees. They are two entirely different animals.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BearsFan1337 View Post
    Yeah, this isn't going to happen anytime soon. There are companies who have discount profiles set up through at least 2018. Also you can "lose" the discount when out of contract, the profile is still there just you don't get the discount due to being out of contract. In addition you'll only ever receive the percentage discount off the rate plan cost (unlimited text if built in) or the account level charge plus one line access. As stated above if the company discount profile has a data discount it would only ever apply to one data plan on the account and it's only 29.99/unlimited 44.99/unlimited w/ bes and 50.00/5gb or higher.
    Don't think I've ever heard of anyone losing their employee discount simply when they went off-contract.

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy Note II
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Moto Droid
    Carrier
    VZDub
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C DM View Post
    Don't think I've ever heard of anyone losing their employee discount simply when they went off-contract.
    Nope. Doesn't happen. I'm not aware of any hooks in the system that would even make that happen.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast