Thread: I cannot text my brother but he can text me

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Angry I cannot text my brother but he can text me

I have had my straight talk phone a little over a week and I have a minor (but starting to become a major one) I cannot text my brother. I am in NY he is in CA but both our numbers have the same area code cause he got his phone in NY before going out west. I can text other people and they can text me, but when my brother texts me I get it but when I send him one or reply I get this:

+1121611611 (brother's number) Error Invalid Number. Please re-send using a valid 10 digit mobile number or valid short code.

I KNOW my brother's number is valid as I can call him fine on it and he can message me on it. I called ST support and we tried removing battery, and sim card (I have the ZTE Merit 'android') and put them back in and rebooted same thing. I talked to the AT&T people as they carry a version of the phone but since it is a ST phone they could not really help but they suggested me deleting my brother's contact info and re entering it both with and without his area code. same error, I was gonna exchange the phone thinking I have a bad phone, but I tried one last thing, I reset the phone back to factory settings and tried sending one by entering his ph # and it went through (no error this time) so I thought I fixed it.

well after entering my Google account and getting my contacts back I sent him another one to see if he got the older one okay and I JUST got the dang Error Invalid Number problem. so, what do you guys think, is it the phone which I HOPE it is. do not get me wrong I LOVE the phone the quality of calls is great and the 3G works very well, it is just the ONE person I text the most cannot get my texts and it is driving me up the dang wall

FYI I cannot text anybody I thought it was only my brother I could not text i sent one to a buddy of mine and it just bounced back, so please help.
    Signature under construction, expect delays

Carriers
    ekit, Truphone
    piranha, Worldsim
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave McFly View Post
    I am in NY he is in CA but both our numbers have the same area code cause he got his phone in NY before going out west. I

+1121611611 (brother's number) Error Invalid Number. Please re-send using a valid 10 digit mobile number or valid short code.

I KNOW my brother's number is valid...........
    '121' is not a valid area code. Is it 212?

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    that's not the area code, that is the number the error text comes from (I am not posting my brothers number but it appears after the number but before the error message) but the area code for us is 716

Feedback Score
    Had the same problem with my ST/TM sim card.
    Contacted ST on FaceBook and they had it fix inside the hour.

ST to IPhone http://howardforums.com/bYd8e
    ST to Android http://howardforums.com/Xael3
    ST to Windows Phone http://howardforums.com/MMuZH
    Tracfone CS at 800-876-5753 or 800-626-4883
    Phone Number for Google Customer Service. 18558363987

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave McFly View Post
    I have had my straight talk phone a little over a week and I have a minor (but starting to become a major one) I cannot text my brother. I am in NY he is in CA but both our numbers have the same area code cause he got his phone in NY before going out west. I can text other people and they can text me, but when my brother texts me I get it but when I send him one or reply I get this:

I KNOW my brother's number is valid as I can call him fine on it and he can message me on it. I called ST support and we tried removing battery, and sim card (I have the ZTE Merit 'android') and put them back in and rebooted same thing. I talked to the AT&T people as they carry a version of the phone but since it is a ST phone they could not really help but they suggested me deleting my brother's contact info and re entering it both with and without his area code. same error, I was gonna exchange the phone thinking I have a bad phone, but I tried one last thing, I reset the phone back to factory settings and tried sending one by entering his ph # and it went through (no error this time) so I thought I fixed it.

well after entering my Google account and getting my contacts back I sent him another one to see if he got the older one okay and I JUST got the dang Error Invalid Number problem. so, what do you guys think, is it the phone which I HOPE it is. do not get me wrong I LOVE the phone the quality of calls is great and the 3G works very well, it is just the ONE person I text the most cannot get my texts and it is driving me up the dang wall

FYI I cannot text anybody I thought it was only my brother I could not text i sent one to a buddy of mine and it just bounced back, so please help.
    Check to see whether you have two entries for your brother in your contacts. It seems that Google might have an incorrect number in its listing since the error reoccurred when you synchronized with Google. You also could be calling your brother from the recent calls listing rather than the address book. If that number in your message is correct, you are missing a digt. With the "+1," there should be eleven numerals. The number you show has only ten numerals. Could there supposed to be a "2" after the "+1?" Entering the "+1" in front of an invalid area code would try to send the message to an international telephone number. No other location outside of North America uses "1" as first digit of the country code.
    Earl F. Parrish

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    nope even with zero contacts If I enter a phone number (his) and send a test text it bounces back, if I had the area code it goes through he replies, I reply back and it bounces back with that error.

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    well I swapped out the phone and had the number put on the new phone and as of this typing I sent messages to my buddy and my brother and both of them did not bounce back so here is hoping I just had a bad unit (crosses fingers).