Thread: Can a phone with a bad ESN be fixed to work with Verizon/PP?

Carrier
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score

Can a phone with a bad ESN be fixed to work with Verizon/PP?

I can get a really nice phone for a good price but it has a bad ESN. I've read that it can be "fixed". Can it be and how? TIA

Phones
    A phone
    with buttons
    'n stuff
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Return it to the owner and it will get fixed.

Feedback Score
    If the phone is blacklisted by Verizon it can't be used on Verizon or PPC unless Verizon removes it from the blacklist. About the only thing you could do with it is get a small local carrier such as Cricket to flash it to their service. It could also be used for parts. Normally phones are blacklisted when they are reported stolen or there is a huge past due balance on the account. Unless you know exactly what you are doing, it's good advice to keep clear of devices advertised as "blacklisted".

Carrier
    att
    Feedback Score
    I don't deal with phones with bad esn, too much of a pain. Way back I had an original env that I bought. Got a new phone and loaned env to a friend. When they let their service cut without paying I got the phone back but vz would not activate it even though I was the one who paid for the phone.
    Running too many phones

Phone
    Galaxy Note 2
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by justme55 View Post
    I can get a really nice phone for a good price but it has a bad ESN. I've read that it can be "fixed". Can it be and how? TIA
    The "fixing" you're probably referring to is illegal under federal law. So, any discussion revolving around that isn't allowed on the board.

The only way to legally get it working on Verizon or PP is by having Verizon remove it from the blacklist. As Vatothe0 pointed out, the person who had it on their account when it was placed on the blacklist is pretty much the only person who can make that happen. If the phone was stolen, they're likely to want to keep it. If they didn't pay their bill, they're probably not going to pay it now. So the likelihood of it being removed for you to use is slim to none.

So, long story short, never buy a Verizon phone with a bad ESN and expect to get it working on Verizon/PP.
    Last edited by bsweetness; 05-31-2012 at 02:45 PM.

Carrier
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Ok thank ya'll. I saw the phone on EB from a seller with very good feedback for a good price but was just wanting to make sure before I bought it. I had read somewhere,I thought,that a phone with a bad ESN could be fixed some how but I must've read wrong. I'm not savvy abt that kind of stuff. Still learning. No big deal,I just won't get the phone.