NEXUS 5
    Samsung Note III
    Carriers
    AT&T GoPhone
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Porting OUT of Straight Talk

Was wondering something............

I have sent a port request to Page Plus to have my current ST phone number (which is my wife's number) ported over to page plus which is what my wife prefers to use.

Meantime, i would like to take the sim card that has this number assigned to it out of my phone and replace it.

My question is..........should i wait until the port goes through or is it OK to remove the sim? I surely do not want to loose the wife's phone number.

Hope this makes sense.

Lenny
    With VZW........BAD network where i live and work!
    Changed to ATT..........

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Yes, you can move her SIM out and put your SIM in. The service is associated with the SIM card, not the phone.
    Verizon 4G LTE----------------------------------AT&T 4G LTE

FreedomPop 4G WiMax

Feedback Score
    I'm thinking of getting out of ST... too much hassle worrying about if I use too much data in one day (at least with crappy ATT they tell me how much I get in a month and if I chose to use it in a day it's my prerogative).

What does a ST customer use for account number and PIN in the porting process? Did you have to call ST to get that?

Phones
    Nexus 5
    NEXUS 5
    Samsung Note III
    Carriers
    AT&T GoPhone
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Sent a response from my phone but do not see it?
    Anyhooooooo..........

I am told that your account number is the SERIAL NUMBER of the phone not the esn or meid) and your PIN is the last 4 of your number. They are VERY slow to port out your number however

Lenny

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lennydude View Post
    Sent a response from my phone but do not see it?
    Anyhooooooo..........

I am told that your account number is the SERIAL NUMBER of the phone not the esn or meid) and your PIN is the last 4 of your number. They are VERY slow to port out your number however

Lenny
    Jeez... what a backwards way to do it... I just switched my grandma from ATT GoPhone to Jitterbug (lol, yeah, sing that song!), and I had to call ATT for the account number as they don't even give it on their online portal. And they had to create a passcode for porting purposes, oye.

Phones
    Nexus 5
    NEXUS 5
    Samsung Note III
    Carriers
    AT&T GoPhone
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Yeah.........i hear ya...........

I put in a port out request with them noon Thursday. It is now 8 PM Friday and port has not happened
    AND........... i am told they do no ports on weekends! This is NOT good customer service!

It only took minutes to port in and now i am looking at 4 days PLUS to port out? So much for putting my wife's number back on a different service for this weekend. As soon as that happened i was going to put another sim on my phone and have the new number. Now i am wondering......................hmmmmmmmmmm

Maybe i should just move on...............don't know................i was 100% happy with the service but this leaves a terrible bad taste ............

Lenny

Feedback Score
    I'll be doing this in a week. I seem to remember more info about this somewhere on the forum. But I think the security pin is the pin you created when you opened the account. Someone mentioned to look for it in the account summary page and it's there. It's 5 digits.

Phones
    Nexus 5
    NEXUS 5
    Samsung Note III
    Carriers
    AT&T GoPhone
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Again, it depends on how you sign up i guess..........lol

Sent them a customer service email and low and behold they actually answered the darn thing!

I am on a BYOD (bring your own device) $45.00 per month plan. They say i have no PIN and my account number is actually my phone number.

If you are using one of their phones and are on a "regular" ST plan, then it is your phone serial number and the last 4 of your phone number? I guess this is what they do?

Anyhow, here i sit on Saturday morning and the wife is hammering me................told you so, told you not to port my number.............all of a sudden she is an expert.... LOL.
    VERY disappointed with Straight Talk right now.........

Lenny

Feedback Score
    The account number is the last 15 numbers off the Sim card. I was able to port one number out this way in about 30 min. On another port out of straight talk, when I used the phone number as account number it took about 22 hours.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2

Phones
    Nexus 5
    NEXUS 5
    Samsung Note III
    Carriers
    AT&T GoPhone
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    WOW......... can you say confusing..............lol

Feedback Score
    Very useful information haha

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Phones
    Nexus 5
    NEXUS 5
    Samsung Note III
    Carriers
    AT&T GoPhone
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Porting into some of these companies seems 100% easier than porting out. When it comes to customer service they just don't get it. Stories like this will prevent lots of people from signing up with them............

BTW..................i am waiting for my port from Straight Talk still today..............this makes 4 days. Page Plus says the port was confirmed last Thursday, Straight Talk will just not release the number! It is my wife's number that she wants it back on Page Plus and i was going to purchase another sim from them for my phone...........key word now "was"..........i guess they just don't get it ?????????

Going to sell my AT&T phone now and go to Page Plus with the wife.

This is just plain unnecessary !!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lennydude View Post
    Porting into some of these companies seems 100% easier than porting out. When it comes to customer service they just don't get it. Stories like this will prevent lots of people from signing up with them............

BTW..................i am waiting for my port from Straight Talk still today..............this makes 4 days. Page Plus says the port was confirmed last Thursday, Straight Talk will just not release the number! It is my wife's number that she wants it back on Page Plus and i was going to purchase another sim from them for my phone...........key word now "was"..........i guess they just don't get it ?????????

Going to sell my AT&T phone now and go to Page Plus with the wife.

This is just plain unnecessary !!
    Perhaps you didn't provide the right account # and pin?
    The account # is the serial # listed on the Straight Talk my account section.
    The pin # is the 5 digit security pin you created on the Straight Talk my account section.

I would call Page Plus and reverify the info and then call back to Straight Talk to know if they released the # over to the other company. Porting shouldn't take that long between wireless companies...it only should take that long when porting from wireless to landline and vice versa (ex: Google Voice, MagicJack, Skype, Verizon landline, etc.).

Phones
    Nexus 5
    NEXUS 5
    Samsung Note III
    Carriers
    AT&T GoPhone
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for your help

The number was finally ported Monday morning. Thank goodness for the feline dealer (won't let me name them LOL), a Page Plus Dealer extraordinaire! VERY helpful indeed!
    Straight Talk uses different account numbers and pin numbers depending on which TYPE of account you have. In my case, i had a bring your own device (byod) unlimited account and ST told me the account number was just my phone number and there was no pin.
    So darn confusing. Anyhow, according to my Page Plus dealer, ST and some others drag their feet when releasing numbers and do not do any of this over the weekend! From Thursday noon until Monday late morning is WAAAAY too long to wait for a port.............seeings how Page plus told me they confirmed the port request on Thursday afternoon. Just too busy to release the number i suppose. I called them on 3 different occasions, and at best they were a bit snippy and condescending with my request to release the number. Trust me, i was very polite with them, to no end obviously. Too bad, i will just have to wait for them............hmmmmmmmmmmm

Anyhow, the wife is happy now that she has her number back with Page Plus and after this kind of treatment i refuse to spend another nickel with ST so will probably sign up with Page Plus myself as soon as the budget settles down a bit.

Thanks for everyone's help. I had great things to say about ST until i needed their help...............HELP ????

Lenny

Feedback Score
    I just ported out yesterday to go phone and it was done within minutes. I used ST with an E71 sim so my account # was the E71's imei. AT&T asked if there was a pin and I said not that I know of.