Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Verizon Wireless Network Extender Question

Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Question Verizon Wireless Network Extender Question

Does anyone have a Verizon Wireless network extender? If so, how do you like it? Does it work good? I ask because I am interested in purchasing one as reception in my house is hit or miss. What's the model number for the 3G version? I have seen SCS-26UC4 and SCS-2U01.

Phones
    IPhone 5
    Verizon/Motorola W755
    AT&T Blackberry Bold 9700 for work
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ItnStln View Post
    Does anyone have a Verizon Wireless network extender? If so, how do you like it? Does it work good? I ask because I am interested in purchasing one as reception in my house is hit or miss. What's the model number for the 3G version? I have seen SCS-26UC4 and SCS-2U01.
    I have the original extender and it works great!

Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jtludwig View Post
    I have the original extender and it works great!
    Does it cause any negative effects on your home internet? I'm just wondering how much bandwidth it uses. Is your's the 1X version? Also, what model number do you have? I'm looking for the 3G version.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    One other thought: If I go the eBay route, is there anything that I have to watch out for? I know with the phones the ESN can be blocked if the phone is reported as lost or stolen. Is the network extender similar?

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I have the old 1X extender and I love it. I live in a basement and I have the best cell reception in town. The towers in my area are extremely overloaded at times, so having my own little bandwidth station tucked away behind a concrete foundation is very handy. I've had no issues with bandwidth (and I have a cruddy internet connection, go go rural living), but I did find that when I was on the 1.5M down, 256k up I needed to stop any intensive download/uploads or I'd sometimes have issues. Since I bumped that up to a very fancy 3M/1.5M, it's been fine.

I don't know why you'd get the 3G version honestly, unless you don't have a smartphone. 1X + WiFi gives me a much more satisfactory experience than what Verizon considers to be 3G around here.

Phone
    Samsung Fascinate
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I have the 3g network extender. It works great. I don't notice it affecting my band width. Of course the closer you are to it the stronger signal you get. Try and position it where you will use it the most and of course you need to establish a GPS connection with it. Mine sits on the top shelf of a bookcase approximately 9' from the window. But I did put the antenna in the window to establish the GPS connection and then I moved it to the bookcase.

Phones
    vx9800
    vx6000
    Carrier
    vzw
    Feedback Score
    I have had the 3G extender for a while and it works great. No bandwidth issues ... it has worked with BB as low as 256kbps.

Depending on your proximity to other VZW subscribers who also enjoy poor reception, you may be able to share the initial cost (and improved reception) with them ... or be a good guy/gal and just let them tag along. I believe that up to 5 users are permitted at one time.

Phones
    Droid Razr Maxx HD, Blackberry Z10
    Blackberry Z10
    Droid Razr Maxx HD
    Carriers
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ItnStln View Post
    One other thought: If I go the eBay route, is there anything that I have to watch out for? I know with the phones the ESN can be blocked if the phone is reported as lost or stolen. Is the network extender similar?
    I ran into a problem with a network extender purchased from an Amazon reseller - it was still active on someone else's account. That means Verizon cannot associate it with your account and you will not have any control over the device as long as it remains active elsewhere. If the light turns blue and your phone's signal goes to full bars immediately when taking the device out of the box, it's likely used and still associated on a Verizon account.

I'm not sure what happens if the other account goes unpaid - at the point where VZW told me it was associated with someone else's account I boxed it back up and returned it.

You don't have that much control over the device anyway. When I attempted to create a whitelist of authorized phones for the network extender in my mom's house, it kept the settings but reverted to wide open a few weeks later. When I re-did the white list, it reverted again within a few weeks. I suspect it may have caused an issue for a neighbor and VZW quietly 'fixed' the problem.

Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by spottedcatfish View Post
    I have the old 1X extender and I love it. I live in a basement and I have the best cell reception in town. The towers in my area are extremely overloaded at times, so having my own little bandwidth station tucked away behind a concrete foundation is very handy. I've had no issues with bandwidth (and I have a cruddy internet connection, go go rural living), but I did find that when I was on the 1.5M down, 256k up I needed to stop any intensive download/uploads or I'd sometimes have issues. Since I bumped that up to a very fancy 3M/1.5M, it's been fine.

I don't know why you'd get the 3G version honestly, unless you don't have a smartphone. 1X + WiFi gives me a much more satisfactory experience than what Verizon considers to be 3G around here.
    I was looking for the 3G version because I don't have a WiFi router in my place, but have a wired ethernet router. Perhaps I should spring for a new WiFi router when I get a network extender.

Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zowwie85 View Post
    I ran into a problem with a network extender purchased from an Amazon reseller - it was still active on someone else's account. That means Verizon cannot associate it with your account and you will not have any control over the device as long as it remains active elsewhere. If the light turns blue and your phone's signal goes to full bars immediately when taking the device out of the box, it's likely used and still associated on a Verizon account.

I'm not sure what happens if the other account goes unpaid - at the point where VZW told me it was associated with someone else's account I boxed it back up and returned it.

You don't have that much control over the device anyway. When I attempted to create a whitelist of authorized phones for the network extender in my mom's house, it kept the settings but reverted to wide open a few weeks later. When I re-did the white list, it reverted again within a few weeks. I suspect it may have caused an issue for a neighbor and VZW quietly 'fixed' the problem.
    What SHOULD happen when I first power it on if it isn't associated with another account? Is it managed through myverizon?

If the price isn't too different between Amazon, eBay, and Verizon Wireless, I might just order it from VZW.

Phones
    HTC MyTouch 3G
    HTC Diamond
    HTC TP2
    Carriers
    Sprint PCS
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    what happens if you block out your neighbor's Verizon phones? do their phones find the Verizon towers or are they locked onto your Network Extender signal but can't make calls?

This is the scenario where Sprint's femtocell is ultrastupid: A Sprint (or Boost or VM) phone that is not authorized to use the femtocell nevertheless cannot ignore the femtocell signal to use the existing Spring signal -- such phones are basically screwed. Imagine if you live in an apartment building with kind of thing going on and you don't even know who has the femtocell that is blocking your phones...

Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
    what happens if you block out your neighbor's Verizon phones? do their phones find the Verizon towers or are they locked onto your Network Extender signal but can't make calls?

This is the scenario where Sprint's femtocell is ultrastupid: A Sprint (or Boost or VM) phone that is not authorized to use the femtocell nevertheless cannot ignore the femtocell signal to use the existing Spring signal -- such phones are basically screwed. Imagine if you live in an apartment building with kind of thing going on and you don't even know who has the femtocell that is blocking your phones...
    Is Verizon's Network Extender the same?

Phones
    IPhone 5
    Verizon/Motorola W755
    AT&T Blackberry Bold 9700 for work
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    You can't block out anyone. All you do is give priority to phone numbers, and if their is available capacity left on the extender, then anyone can connect to it.

The AT&T extender on the other hand only allows phones to connect that are specifically on the access list.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post

Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jtludwig View Post
    You can't block out anyone. All you do is give priority to phone numbers, and if their is available capacity left on the extender, then anyone can connect to it.

The AT&T extender on the other hand only allows phones to connect that are specifically on the access list.
    Too bad I can't charge a usage fee to people using my extender...

Phone
    A920
    Carrier
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    I have the extender as well. I've had it since the beginning of February. I have a Sprint one as well and to compare, the Sprint version is far superior. It gets further distance and your phone almost immediately connects (I live in a dead zone for both carriers). With the VZ version (3g), I had it in my basement and it seemed to take 5-10 minutes for my phone to connect on.. My phone would show 5 bars but as soon as I try to make a call, no double beeps and I'd drop to 1 bar.

I then moved it upstairs to my first floor and connection is definately faster.. it'll take 2-3 mintues for my phone to sync with it. Sprint's is almost immediate so that is a down side of the VZ version.

I did buy the ebay route (refurbished) and like another person on here, it was active on someone elses account. It did work as soon as I plugged it in and it established a gps signal etc. But again like someone commented, you have no access to changes since it isn't attached to your account. I returned it and coughed up the $250 and bought new.

If you read the instructions, it says you have to be within 15 ft of it for the phone to choose the extender over a VZ tower. Once connected, you can go up to 40 ft away from it. Rediculous that I have to be within 15 ft for it to choose a 5bar signal over a 0-1 bar tower signal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast