Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Samsung galaxy s3 on straight-talk

Feedback Score

Samsung galaxy s3 on straight-talk

Hello, I am thinking of purchasing a samsung galaxy 3 by ebay. This phone is a unlocked phone, I believe its from the UK but I am not sure. The link to the phone is -seems that I cant post links. either way, its the samsung galaxy s3 (marble white) on ebay.

I am thinking of getting the 45/month unlimited plan with straight-talk. I am worried that the speeds that I get here (Fargo,North Dakota) wont be enough. I just recently bought my girlfriend a android, more specific the android q and at home without the wi-fi on she barely recieves 0.5mb/s. I am worried that i will get bottelnecked by buying the phone when all I will be doing is reaching 0.5/mb's. The phone is quad-baned. (GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900 (Quadband) HSPA+ 850/900/1900/2100) is everything it supports.

Can you help me, will I be able to recieve 5mb/s with it? I do notice that when the bars are higher in her signal the speed goes higher of course. But if you can, tell me what I should do...[/B]

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Hey! Another Fargoan! We are supposedly able to receive ATT HSPA here. If I can ever get my Inspire activated, I'll report back. DON'T get a T-Mobile sim, they only have 2G here!
    My Phone Can Amortize, Can Yours?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Carole Wright View Post
    Hey! Another Fargoan! We are supposedly able to receive ATT HSPA here. If I can ever get my Inspire activated, I'll report back. DON'T get a T-Mobile sim, they only have 2G here!
    Awesome!, glad theres another user on here thats from the same city, you dont see that very often... :P I was thinking of getting the Unlocked GSM Phone (Phone must operate in 850 and 1900 MHz bands sim card. This is a option from straight-talk and I assume is not t-mobile.if you can give me a link to the card that is for sure not t-mobile that would be awesome..

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue90 View Post
    Awesome!, glad theres another user on here thats from the same city, you dont see that very often... :P I was thinking of getting the Unlocked GSM Phone (Phone must operate in 850 and 1900 MHz bands sim card. This is a option from straight-talk and I assume is not t-mobile.if you can give me a link to the card that is for sure not t-mobile that would be awesome..
    Don't buy the unlocked sim, even if phone is unlocked. If you do, they choose your sim for you. If you want AT&T service, buy the AT&T sim. As far as the phone itself, be aware that the international version IS diffrent from the US version. That phone will not be compatible with LTE in US. Now, on ST, that doesn't matter since ST customers don't get LTE anyway, at least not at this point. But it could affect resale later to keep a postpaid customer hoping to buy it and use LTE. The US version should be available in a few weeks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by maestroteague View Post
    Don't buy the unlocked sim, even if phone is unlocked. If you do, they choose your sim for you. If you want AT&T service, buy the AT&T sim. As far as the phone itself, be aware that the international version IS diffrent from the US version. That phone will not be compatible with LTE in US. Now, on ST, that doesn't matter since ST customers don't get LTE anyway, at least not at this point. But it could affect resale later to keep a postpaid customer hoping to buy it and use LTE. The US version should be available in a few weeks.
    Oh alright, so waiting a couple weeks to buy the phone would be better? Are you sure the phone doesnt have lte? how would I know if it does and do you think when it comes out in the US i'll be able to buy it for 500.00 and with a quad core cpu? Also, could you possible direct me to a at&t sim card. wouldnt I need a straight-talk sim card tho since its thru straight-talk?

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by maestroteague View Post
    There is no "unlocked" SIM; only ATT and Tmobile. Picking unlocked just puts the SIM with the best coverage for your zip code in your shopping cart.
    Nexus 5 rooted with ST AT&T LTE SIM & full Google Voice integration

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GTwannabe View Post
    There is no "unlocked" SIM; only ATT and Tmobile. Picking unlocked just puts the SIM with the best coverage for your zip code in your shopping cart.
    So there is no such thing as a unlocked sim card? So a unlocked phone just gives you the extra feature of being able to select the best coverage on your zip-code. being all that said, should I buy the phone? and if I do can you please direct me to the sim-card I should get for straight-talk. I am a very big novice when it comes to phones, this will be my first smart-phone ever and I want to make sure I get the best speeds/best phone...

Does the LTE phone prohibition still apply with the phone I am buying or is it capable of LTE?

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    So there is no such thing as a unlocked sim card? So a unlocked phone just gives you the extra feature of being able to select the best coverage on your zip-code. being all that said, should I buy the phone? and if I do can you please direct me to the sim-card I should get for straight-talk. I am a very big novice when it comes to phones, this will be my first smart-phone ever and I want to make sure I get the best speeds/best phone...

Does the LTE phone prohibition still apply with the phone I am buying or is it capable of LTE?
    Pick the network you want:

AT&T:

- larger network, better coverage
    - very aggressive data monitoring and possible tether detection
    - all post-paid features work (conditional call forwarding, call conferencing, Google Voice integration, etc)
    - slower data speeds (typically 3-4mbps)

T-mobile:

- smaller network, poorer coverage outside urban areas
    - apparently less strict on data usage/tethering
    - prepaid feature set (no call forwarding/conferencing)
    - faster data (typically 5-7mpbs)

ST does not currently offer LTE service.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GTwannabe View Post
    Pick the network you want:

AT&T:

- larger network, better coverage
    - very aggressive data monitoring and possible tether detection
    - all post-paid features work (conditional call forwarding, call conferencing, Google Voice integration, etc)
    - slower data speeds (typically 3-4mbps)

T-mobile:

- smaller network, poorer coverage outside urban areas
    - apparently less strict on data usage/tethering
    - prepaid feature set (no call forwarding/conferencing)
    - faster data (typically 5-7mpbs)

ST does not currently offer LTE service.
    Alright, so I dont need to worry about the LTE service. You mentioned the phone im looking at doesnt support lte? as I am in North Dakota, the previous user mentioned that you should be able to get good service here thru at&t. Can you find me the card that I need for it?

Phone
    Optimus G
    Carrier
    Not Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Alright, so I dont need to worry about the LTE service. You mentioned the phone im looking at doesnt support lte? as I am in North Dakota, the previous user mentioned that you should be able to get good service here thru at&t. Can you find me the card that I need for it?
    Go to the Straight Talk page and order your SIM card. When it asks you, choose "AT&T Compatible Phone." That will get you the SIM you need.

Feedback Score
    So assuming from my fellow city men, the At&t is the way to go here with the coverage being the best. Now I have a couple questions that I would like answered if you can.

1. User from here mentioned to me that I shouldnt get the phone from ebay, because it doesnt support lte. He mentioned that I should wait until they release a copy here in the united states, this copy would be a dual core tho as US is implementing the duals instead of the quads here. Should I wait for the LTE version that will be aviable from the united states? or should i purchase the ebay international version from ebay.

2. Being as I am in North Dakota and a fellow city men user mentioned the AT&T was the way to go because of the coverage and possible HSPA speeds ( Which I have no clue means) should I purchase a AT&T, and if so is there a map that shows all the coverage t-mobile has and at&T that would support the claim; not that I am saying thats anyone here is wrong, just to make me feel extra secure, after-all I am spending 500+ on the phone.

3. Once I select the option for the at&T capable phone option and the sim-card arrives, how would I determine if I am receiving the 4g coverage, would my phone indicate it at the top?

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score

No 701 / 58102 numbers available?

Blue, before you spend do much money on a phone, I need to tell you that it appears that it may not be possible to use a ST GSM phone if you want to get or keep a North Dakota phone number. I am having a very difficult time with this right now. They are wanting to give me a "new local" St Cloud phone number, because they can't activate in 58102. I've kept the number through a few moves and carriers before with no problem. ST and some other ATT MVNOs seem to share this inability. Just wanted you to be aware of this.

Feedback Score
    Blue, before you spend do much money on a phone, I need to tell you that it appears that it may not be possible to use a ST GSM phone if you want to get or keep a North Dakota phone number. I am having a very difficult time with this right now. They are wanting to give me a "new local" St Cloud phone number, because they can't activate in 58102. I've kept the number through a few moves and carriers before with no problem. ST and some other ATT MVNOs seem to share this inability. Just wanted you to be aware of this.
    Oh alright, so they wont activate in 58102... I am at 58102, either way tho I dont find it a big problem if I dont get a 701 number...

Feedback Score
    So assuming from my fellow city men, the At&t is the way to go here with the coverage being the best. Now I have a couple questions that I would like answered if you can.

1. User from here mentioned to me that I shouldnt get the phone from ebay, because it doesnt support lte. He mentioned that I should wait until they release a copy here in the united states, this copy would be a dual core tho as US is implementing the duals instead of the quads here. Should I wait for the LTE version that will be aviable from the united states? or should i purchase the ebay international version from ebay.

2. Being as I am in North Dakota and a fellow city men user mentioned the AT&T was the way to go because of the coverage and possible HSPA speeds ( Which I have no clue means) should I purchase a AT&T, and if so is there a map that shows all the coverage t-mobile has and at&T that would support the claim; not that I am saying thats anyone here is wrong, just to make me feel extra secure, after-all I am spending 500+ on the phone.

3. Once I select the option for the at&T capable phone option and the sim-card arrives, how would I determine if I am receiving the 4g coverage, would my phone indicate it at the top?

Could someone help me with these questions?

Phone
    Optimus G
    Carrier
    Not Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    If you guys can never get the number thing straight, you can always port your number to Google Voice or get a new number from Google Voice in that area. As long as you have an Android phone then the integration is near seamless. Then it won't matter what you actual ST phone number is.

Number one above is something you have to decide. LTE is going to be increasingly more important in the next few years. If you are type of person that keeps your phone forever then you may want to wait for the LTE version. As stated, for now it really doesn't matter either way with Straight Talk.

Number three is yes, your phone will state 4G at the top when you have HSPA+ data from AT&T.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast