Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Switch Straight Talk SIM from AT&T locked iphone 4 to unlocked iphone 4s?

Feedback Score

Switch Straight Talk SIM from AT&T locked iphone 4 to unlocked iphone 4s?

Hi guys, as the title says - I just got a new 4s, unlocked with gevey sim, and having some trouble moving my AT&T straight talk SIM from my current/previous iphone 4 to it.

Will the AT&T straight talk SIM work in an unlocked iphone 4s? I assumed it would...any help on how to get it to work? The new 4s says "SIM not supported" when I try to put it in. The SIM tray is one of the gevey unlock kind...

Phone
    iPhone 4S 16GB Black
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Where did you get the iPhone 4S? If it's a Verizon or Sprint iPhone, it will not work with ST. Only a GSM unlocked or AT&T iPhone will work. If you have a GSM unlocked or AT&T iPhone, you don't need the Gevey SIM. Just drop the ST SIM into the iPhone.
    Straight Talk unlimited everything plan for $45

Feedback Score
    Yeah like dustman said. If its Verizon or sprint it won't work but if it's AT&T you don't need the gevey chip in there. It'll be just plug n play

Feedback Score
    Yeh, was talking to the guy I bought it from, looks like its an unlocked Verizon phone. Damn. Weird, I got the sim. Read and data working, but not texting. Oh well, I gy a good deal on it do hopefully I can sell it without a loss and be sure to get an AT&T phone next time. Totally my bad, I assumed unlocked meant it would work :-/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sunsean View Post
    Yeh, was talking to the guy I bought it from, looks like its an unlocked Verizon phone. Damn. Weird, I got the sim. Read and data working, but not texting. Oh well, I gy a good deal on it do hopefully I can sell it without a loss and be sure to get an AT&T phone next time. Totally my bad, I assumed unlocked meant it would work :-/
    the sim slot on the sprint/verizon iphones are only good for if you take the phone to a different country.

Feedback Score
    http://www.ijailbreak.com/iphone/unl...y-ultra-s-sim/

Apparently, a new gevey unlock allows it to be used with SIM cards, you just have to be jailbroken and run a special app to complete the unlock. Still going to sell it though, I'd rather have an AT&T 4s to take advantage of the HSPA+ anyway and not worry about all this headache.

Feedback Score
    Just FYI to you guys - but I actually got it working. 100%. Data, sms, voice, all working on this Verizon 4s, unlocked with the gevey ultra s unlock method. Don't think I'm getting the ATT HSPA+ speeds (just normal 3g I guess), but it's working 100%. May just stick with this phone as it's 64gigs.

Phone
    Atrix/Skyrocket/R455C/Samsung Jack
    Carrier
    GoPhone LTE
    Feedback Score
    so you must have had the correct gevey sim

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by alphamale-b View Post
    so you must have had the correct gevey sim
    Guess I did. Apparently they just came out with this Gevey ultra s sim unlock, and it unlocks CDMA phones for GSM use. I appear to have everything working with my ST AT&T sim card, voice, data, SMS, mms, iMessage, etc. Pretty stoked

Phone
    Atrix/Skyrocket/R455C/Samsung Jack
    Carrier
    GoPhone LTE
    Feedback Score
    maybe you could post the steps you took to get it to work. from what i read the the cdma sim is not plug n play. you gotta do a couple more things first.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by alphamale-b View Post
    maybe you could post the steps you took to get it to work. from what i read the the cdma sim is not plug n play. you gotta do a couple more things first.
    Well, really this started with a mistake on my end. I bought it off a guy on Craigslist, 64gb unlocked 4s in perfect condition. When he told me he'd been using it with T-Mobile, I assumed it was an AT&T iphone unlocked for other GSM usage. Got home and at first the SIM wouldn't take. Did a little research and talked more in depth with the guy (of course he was in big rush at time of sale) and realized AFTER the fact that it was a Verizon phone (per the seller) unlocked for GSM use. Little more research yielded that in fact, this new method of Gevey Ultra S unlocking in fact opens up CDMA phones to GSM use.

After that, I just followed the instructions on the Gevey.com site for unlocking Verizon phones for GSM use (requires jailbreak), and popped in my straight talk AT&T sim, let it sit for a few minutes and voila, I had full signal. Then did the usual unlockit for data, and didn't even need tetherme for mms settings. On this Verizon phone, the full network settings were already editable, so I was able to get everything up and running.

Only reason I could see to maybe still sell this phone and get a locked AT&T model is, as I understand it, having an AT&T iphone 4s is the only way to take advantage of AT&T HSPA+ data...as it is, it looks like I'm getting the same data speeds I was getting before on my iphone 4.

Feedback Score
    ...only crappy thing about re-selling the phone is I bought it at an AT&T price, when really it should go lower at a Verizon price...I might wind up losing some $ on a re-sale

Anyone know why Sprint/Verizon iphones go for considerably less than AT&T ones?

Phone
    Optimus G
    Carrier
    Not Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Probably because a AT&T iPhone is highly versatile as being usable on many different GSM MVNO's, whereas the CDMA ones are not.

Good job on getting it running though. Unless the speeds are plain horrible I probably would just keep it at this point. There are still tons of people using iPhones on Tmobile who live with Edge data, and Sprint 3G is not much better either.

Feedback Score
    Yeah I will use it for a few days to see if service is reliable and good...if so, I'll probably keep it to avoid losing money. Though, since it's a 64gb, I could probably buy a 16/32gb ATT version for what I would sell it for, if the data speed jump would be that noticeable...but to answer your post, no the speeds aren't plain horrible. Like I said, about what I was getting before on the iphone 4. Not super fast, but usable.

Phones
    BlackBerry 9630 Tour
    Motorola v860 Barrage
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Ok so here is my question. I want to use an Iphone 4 or 4s with Straight Talk.. Can anyone tell me the process? I have read a few places that you can only use a jailbroken or unlocked GSM iphone, I have also read that as long as it is ATT or TMOBILE it will work, but then I have read that you can use one from VZ or Sprint... If someone could post what I need to look for exactly, it would be much appreciated. The VZ/Sprint iphones seem much cheaper on the pre-owned market, so if I can use one of them I would rather...
    "In the warrior's code, there's no surrender..."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast