Thread: Google Voice with Straight Talk, GV Anroid App

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score

Google Voice with Straight Talk, GV Anroid App

OK, so I am beginning to accept the fact that I may not be able to use my ND phone number directly with my Inspire, as ST maybe can't or won't activate it with my current number. I looked around at other GSM carriers, and really can't find anything comparable, who would activate a 701 number. I HAVE to keep this number.

SO, I'm looking into the Google Voice with Android app on Straight Talk as a solution. Can anyone here answer some questions, or maybe direct me to a previous discussion?

1) The GV Android app has mixed reviews, at best, at the app market. How "invisible" is it, in actual use. How many "glitches" does it have? Specifically, does anyone use it on the HTC Inspire w/ Andrioid 2.3.3?

2) Is it correct that the app won't work with MMS? I prefer to use email to send pics, but some people don't have that capability, or don't know how. I realize that I can always MMS from the ST phone number. And I can give that number to family and friends, hoping that they remember to use it when sending me pics.

3) I currently have an old Minnesota number ported to GV and forwarded to my ST number. If I don't answer the call in time, it goes to GV voice mail, NOT ST voice mail. Sometimes, I don't get notification for a day or more, that I have a message. That would be a HUGE problem, if my current (used for business) number had the same issue. I am NOT currently using the android app, would it solve that problem?

4) Is is true that I may never get my number back from GV? I've heard of people having difficulty porting OUT from GV.

5) What happens when I am in a no-data coverage area? Do my calls still get forwarded? What number would my outgoing calls show me calling from? How about SMS?

6) Is voice quality on calls the same as it would be if I were not using GV/GV Android App?

7) Any and all input would be VERY VERY appreciated! TIA!
    My Phone Can Amortize, Can Yours?

Phone
    Atrix/Skyrocket/R455C/Samsung Jack
    Carrier
    GoPhone LTE
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Carole Wright View Post
    OK, so I am beginning to accept the fact that I may not be able to use my ND phone number directly with my Inspire, as ST maybe can't or won't activate it with my current number. I looked around at other GSM carriers, and really can't find anything comparable, who would activate a 701 number. I HAVE to keep this number.

SO, I'm looking into the Google Voice with Android app on Straight Talk as a solution. Can anyone here answer some questions, or maybe direct me to a previous discussion?

1) The GV Android app has mixed reviews, at best, at the app market. How "invisible" is it, in actual use. How many "glitches" does it have? Specifically, does anyone use it on the HTC Inspire w/ Andrioid 2.3.3?

2) Is it correct that the app won't work with MMS? I prefer to use email to send pics, but some people don't have that capability, or don't know how. I realize that I can always MMS from the ST phone number. And I can give that number to family and friends, hoping that they remember to use it when sending me pics.

3) I currently have an old Minnesota number ported to GV and forwarded to my ST number. If I don't answer the call in time, it goes to GV voice mail, NOT ST voice mail. Sometimes, I don't get notification for a day or more, that I have a message. That would be a HUGE problem, if my current (used for business) number had the same issue. I am NOT currently using the android app, would it solve that problem?

4) Is is true that I may never get my number back from GV? I've heard of people having difficulty porting OUT from GV.

5) What happens when I am in a no-data coverage area? Do my calls still get forwarded? What number would my outgoing calls show me calling from? How about SMS?

6) Is voice quality on calls the same as it would be if I were not using GV/GV Android App?

7) Any and all input would be VERY VERY appreciated! TIA!

you can keep your old GV number if you port the new number in. it will show up on caller id but both numbers will find you. has to be requested in so many days after you port.

your voice mails can be changed to straight talk just go under the phone number and deactivate google voice mail. you might want to look around in the setting and come back for questions.

you can use the mobile web browser to log in to google voice for full feature access. the app has a lot of functions like quick texts, etc.

as a GV user you know that by dialing your GV number (with or with out a pin) you can select 2 and dial out with your GV number showing on caller id?

MMS does not work with GV unless you do integration with a sprint number at this time. Carriers are not helping GV with putting MMS as an option.

your calls will still get to you with no data service
    Last edited by alphamale-b; 06-05-2012 at 08:40 PM. Reason: added

Feedback Score
    Incoming MMS works. The text part goes to your phone and the attachments go to your gmail.

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Thanks, both of you! Very helpful, there is really no substitute for shared personal experience!

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    You know what they say about life handing out lemons...having to port to Google Voice gave me a lemonade idea...

Why not activate the new ST number in a zip where all three (four?) carriers' phones can be added to a ST account. Who cares, really, what the new ST number really is? Then, watch for deals on the Verizon Android, and a Sprint android. Add them, and they are stored for activation on the account. NOW, you are able to get service just about anywhere cell phones work at all, just by switching them back and forth as the "active" phone. Traveling to an area where GSM isn't very good but Sprint is? Just activate the Sprint phone, etc.

I wonder how alternating between the different carriers would affect the 2 GB limit, and...I don't want to say where my thoughts are going next with this...

Phone
    Optimus G
    Carrier
    Not Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    One of the main tenants of Straight Talk is to try to avoid situations where they could mess something up and require you to deal with them. I know you are probably kidding, but if you started porting back and forth between phones several times a month then before long you are gonna have some kind of problem.

But yea it is true that with Google Voice you can get a number where ever you want, and your actual cell phone number won't matter. Some people use it to have a local number in an area where family lives so they (the family) can call with land lines without using long distance. There are many other uses for it as well, it really is a great service.