Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Google Voicemail on Straight Talk?

Feedback Score

Google Voicemail on Straight Talk?

Hi, does anyone use Google Voice on Straight Talk? It doesn't show up as an option for providers on the google voice site, is it possible to get it working?

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    It should work I read on here it does I actually use Youmail I think it's a little better than google voicemail has a lot more options for voicemail messages also.

Carrier
    GSM: Whoever has the best deal!
    Feedback Score
    I'm using the Google Voice app along with Straight Talk service on an iPhone 4S.

Works great for me!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    I second Youmail but since you wanted to know about Google I guess I didn't add anything to this thread.

:P
    I buy broken/used iPhones (4 & 4S) on any carrier! PM me info about your phone and your asking price and I'll get back to you!

Feedback Score
    Was thinking about trying Youmail, but it's got terrible reviews in the App Store!

Phone
    Optimus G
    Carrier
    Not Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    "Google Voicemail" as I understand it is when the Google Voice app intercepts the incoming calls to your cell phone number and they go to your G voice mailbox where they are transcribed and emailed to you and whatnot just like Google Voice calls. I don't think that particular service works with Straight Talk, however all Google Voice users have a voice mailbox. You control in the settings if you want your Google Voice mailbox to take your messages or your actual cell phone by controlling the number of rings and whether or not you want to screen your calls.

Google Voice is actually a pretty complex service with about a million features. It works with Straight Talk and any other carrier, land lines, and even dumb phones. The best way to figure it out is to get a number and start using it because it is hard to explain.

Feedback Score
    I did not port my number from my old carrier to ST. Instead I ported to Google Voice (GV).
    GV is a forwarding service. People call my GV number which they know, and not my ST number.
    You need to install the GV app on your phone too.
    You can configure your phone to send all voice mail to GV, otherwise you have to call the ST voice mail service too.
    GV voice mail is very good. It gives you a transcript and you can listen to the message directly from the app.
    GV also handles your sms/texting.

I originally ported to GV, because I was uncomfortable porting to ST.
    I am very pleased with GV.
    I am very pleased with ST too; my concerns about porting were unfounded, but I am glad I am using GV.
    I just hope they don't start charging for GV, or at least charging too much. If they charge too much, I would port my number to ST.
    You can also port your number to ST, and use another GV number (GV lite) to get all your voice mail.
    more on GV lite http://support.google.com/voice/bin/...&answer=115127

Feedback Score

t-mobile prepaid does not work with google voice

Quote Originally Posted by spekkio View Post
    "Google Voicemail" as I understand it is when the Google Voice app intercepts the incoming calls to your cell phone number and they go to your G voice mailbox where they are transcribed and emailed to you and whatnot just like Google Voice calls. I don't think that particular service works with Straight Talk, however all Google Voice users have a voice mailbox. You control in the settings if you want your Google Voice mailbox to take your messages or your actual cell phone by controlling the number of rings and whether or not you want to screen your calls.

Google Voice is actually a pretty complex service with about a million features. It works with Straight Talk and any other carrier, land lines, and even dumb phones. The best way to figure it out is to get a number and start using it because it is hard to explain.
    Google voice works with everything, t-mobile PREPAID does not work with google, a business choice t-mobile made.

Since straight talk is based on t-mobile prepaid service, its a very good question whether google voice works or not.

It works if straight-talk LETs it work.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gyropilot View Post
    I'm using the Google Voice app along with Straight Talk service on an iPhone 4S.

Works great for me!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Thanks for your response. I have t-mobile PREPAID, with google voice app loaded. That app works great.

My t-mobile calls do NOT go to google voice mail. (T-mobile prepaid prevents this). Do straight talk calls go to google voice voicemail?

Carriers
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score

Re: Google Voicemail on Straight Talk?

I do the same as o'michael. Google voice integrates completly with android phones. I ported my number to gv and i don't know my st number at all. I also use whatsapp with my ported number and works perfectly.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using HowardForums

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Google voicemail works with ST-ATT but not with ST-Tmobile. The reason is tmobile does not allow conditional call forwarding. Once I tried calling the customer care to change the number to my gvoice number but it did not work for some reason.
    You should be able to conditional call forward and you will be able to use google voice voicemail.

Feedback Score

I had YouMail for a while. They changed their policies few months back and started to charge for what used to be free. I deactivated the account and went to GV. GV is bananas!

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by menajemh View Post
    I do the same as o'michael. Google voice integrates completly with android phones. I ported my number to gv and i don't know my st number at all. I also use whatsapp with my ported number and works perfectly.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using HowardForums
    I thought about porting my number to GV but seems like there is a delay when GV routes the calls to actual number which i didn't like. By delay i mean when someone calls you they hear (as an example) 3 rings but by the time GV routes the call, you only receive one ring.

Carrier
    GSM: Whoever has the best deal!
    Feedback Score

Through my testing of MVNO's which use T-Mobile as the underlying carrier, I've found the following results...

These services DO support conditional call forwarding:

GoSmart Mobile (owned by T-Mobile)
    PlatinumTel
    Spot Mobile

These services DO NOT support conditional call forwarding:

Simple Mobile
    T-Mobile Prepaid

Untested yet (unknown):

Ready SIM
    Ultra Mobile
    TelCel America

Based on what others have posted, I'm pretty sure the following DO NOT support conditional call forwarding on T-Mobile's network:

Straight Talk
    Net10
    TelCel America

Regards,

John L.

Sent from an iPad 3 using Tapatalk HD!

Feedback Score
    I posted earlier about my experiences with GV (Google Voice). I am quite pleased with it. I use an AT&T SIM.

Could someone explain conditional call forwarding? Is it for inbound or outbound calls?

For inbound calls with GV, you don't need to do anything with your phone. GV routes the call to your phones physical phone number.

To have outbound calls show your GV number on caller ID, you need the GV app.
    The GV app also lets you see/hear voice mail, and see text messages.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast