Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Activating a verizon droid x on PPC's pay-as-you-go talk plan.

Feedback Score

Activating a verizon droid x on PPC's pay-as-you-go talk plan.

I recently purchased a used Droid X (the original, not the X2) from ebay and want to activate it on the Page Plus pay-as-you-go plan. I only want the phone minutes though, not the text or data (since I can just use WiFi for that).

Right after I bought the phone, I went to PPC's website and bought a "100 minutes voice card". I just got the phone today. I'm not sure how to register it, but before I try to register it, I want to know whether or not there will be any problems with getting just talk on a smart phone with Page Plus (and if there are, how to get around them)?

Also, I've heard there is a old, low speed, service Page Plus unofficially provides called "QNC". Is there a way to get that on the Droid X?

Lastly, I would appreciate a heads up about any other fees. I think there is a activation fee of something like $7. Is there a monthly fee of 50 cents with the plan I'm going to use? If so, how and where do I pay it?

Carrier
    TracFone, BYO Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Since you will be on the standard plan, and do not want to use any 3g data, call up PP, or use the new online chat and ask them to turn off 3g data at their end.

QNC is not an option for your Droid X. It's pretty darn slow any how to be very useful.

The 50˘ is deducted from your balance monthly on or about on the 25th.

Carriers
    ATT,
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LK9001 View Post

Also, I've heard there is a old, low speed, service Page Plus unofficially provides called "QNC". Is there a way to get that on the Droid X?

I think there is a activation fee of something like $7.

No one has been able to hack any Android phones to date to get QNC working on PP. Most manufacturers removed the ability for their newer handsets to use QNC years ago because it was replaced by faster and newer methods to transmit data by the carriers. Older phones can still use it because QNC connection protocols on the network still exist

You can call Page plus directly and activate a new account for free: 800-550-2436

Feedback Score
    Thanks.

I know QNC is slow, but I only wanted it for sending emails. I heard there was a way to get it running for free on the Droid a855 and the Droid 2 so I was just wondering if it could run on the X. If it can't that's no big loss.

As far as registering the phone goes, I went to their site and created an account then clicked on "add a phone to this account". From there it asked for a phone number as well as the make and model. I bypassed the activation screen and went to about my phone. I got what looks like a standard phone number (with a lot of zeros), and put that in the number box. For "make" I of course put motorola. But in the drop down for model number "mb810" (the model# for the DX) was not available.

So what now?

Carriers
    ATT,
    Feedback Score
    the identification in that drop down menu has no effect on your account.
    It is strictly for your benefit in the event that you manage multiple handsets with that once same account. Its just so you can keep track. Pageplus doesn't care what you put there

Carrier
    TracFone, BYO Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Registering the phone and activation are two entirely different things. You must ACTIVATE the phone before you can use it to make calls. Registering the phone as you call it, applies to you having an online account you can log in to, and see your usage, add pins, etc. It also allows for use of the online livehelp with a CS rep.

Even if you could get qnc to work on your droid, it's simply much too slow to be very useful.

Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    Carriers
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LK9001 View Post
    Thanks.

I know QNC is slow, but I only wanted it for sending emails. I heard there was a way to get it running for free on the Droid a855 and the Droid 2 so I was just wondering if it could run on the X. If it can't that's no big loss.

As far as registering the phone goes, I went to their site and created an account then clicked on "add a phone to this account". From there it asked for a phone number as well as the make and model. I bypassed the activation screen and went to about my phone. I got what looks like a standard phone number (with a lot of zeros), and put that in the number box. For "make" I of course put motorola. But in the drop down for model number "mb810" (the model# for the DX) was not available.

So what now?
    Please post a link to where you "heard there was a way to get it running for free on the Droid a855 and the Droid 2". I've always read that the last smartphones that could get QNC were some old WinMo Motorola phones.
    My PagePlus Phone History---12 Years & Counting
    *Ericsson AF738, Jul 2001-Dec 2003, *Qualcomm QCP 2760, Dec 2003-Feb 2008, *LG VX-8600, Feb 2008-Apr 2010, *Samsung Omnia SCH-i910, Apr 2010-Nov 2011, *HTC Droid Incredible (CM7.2 ROM), Nov 2011-Jun 2013, *HTC Droid Incredible 2 (CM7.2 ROM), Jun 2013-Present

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the help. I called CS and activated the phone this morning. To explain my other posts I was using the words "activate" and "register" interchangeably, I meant activate.

As for where I heard about QNC, I saw a obscure forum somewhere saying that page plus provided QNC free to some phones, with a link to this page.
    wiki.howardforums.com/index.php/QNC_and_Dial-up_Compatible_Phones_and_HowTo
    At the bottom of the Motorola section there are shaky instructions about connecting the Droid and Droid 2. Though even on the same page some people said it did't work.

So now 2 new questions.
    1st, if I try to access the data on the phone without WiFi what will happen? Will it take money out of my account, or will it just not work? Do I need to shut off data in phone settings somewhere? And if so where?
    2nd, when I was first looking for a phone, I heard that GPS did not use up any data on page plus. Is there a way I can use this without running the risk of getting charge for data? To clarify does data need to be on for GPS to work?

Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    The GPS will use data if you use it. Also, if you don't want to use data, you need to ask Page Plus to turn it off. There are many apps that will use data in the background and you could go through a lot of money if you don't watch it carefully.

Feedback Score
    I disabled "background data" and "data enable" in settings on the phone itself. But when I tried to access android market It said background data needed to be on. So what I'm asking is,
    If I turn on background data when the phone is connected to WiFi will it use up data, or will ti go through WiFi?
    Will I need to turn background data on and off every time I leave a WiFi hot spot?
    And will calling PPC and having them disable data fix it so that I can leave background data on without it using up data?

Thanks for the info about GPS.

Carrier
    TracFone, BYO Wireless
    Feedback Score
    If you want be able to use gps with out data, there are a few options out there. CoPilot Live standard is a good choice, and is only about $5. to buy. You can download the whole USA map to your SD card. Once installed, it does not need data.

Navfree USA is a free GPS app that does not need to use data for gps as it also lets you use maps offline that were downloaded to your SD card.

Phones
    Droid X
    Droid X
    Carrier
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    you can use the goggle maps navigation on the X w/o using data, just get directions while in wifi.
    been on a week long vaction and get directions every mourning before we leave the house,pre cache areas and I haven't used any data

Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    Carriers
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Willow16 View Post
    The GPS will use data if you use it. Also, if you don't want to use data, you need to ask Page Plus to turn it off. There are many apps that will use data in the background and you could go through a lot of money if you don't watch it carefully.
    This is WRONG! GPS does NOT use cellular data. I use GPS with CoPilot Live often, and use no cellular data. Google Maps navigation DOES need data to calculate a route. But just having GPS on uses no cellular data.

Using WiFi to calculate a route with Google Maps is a good idea, but if you decide to take a detour, or if you need to navigate while you are already in your car with no WiFi, it will need data to calculate the route. This is where CoPilot Live and/or Navfree USA are useful, because they store the maps on the phone's SD card and need no data to navigate.

Phones
    Droid X
    Droid X
    Carrier
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post

Using WiFi to calculate a route with Google Maps is a good idea, but if you decide to take a detour, or if you need to navigate while you are already in your car with no WiFi, it will need data to calculate the route. This is where CoPilot Live and/or Navfree USA are useful, because they store the maps on the phone's SD card and need no data to navigate.
    this is correct, but if you detour or diviate from the route it will pick you up when you get back on route

Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    Carriers
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by B Bell View Post
    this is correct, but if you detour or diviate from the route it will pick you up when you get back on route
    Well, knowing my sense of direction, it would require data to get me back on route!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast