Thread: What is HIGH SPEED INTERNET 2G 3G or 4G? and MMS uses DATA?

Phones
    HTC Sensation 4G
    HTC Sensation 4G
    Carrier
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score

What is HIGH SPEED INTERNET 2G 3G or 4G? and MMS uses DATA?

i posted this on tmo discussion forums and i want to know if we are being treated like losers

I would like to bring up an episode that I’ve had with T-Mobile that I’m sure affects other consumers and try to get some feedback from the tech world.
    I’m on the value plan, which gives me 500 minutes on talk, unlimited messaging, and unlimited internet with 2GB of 4G speeds. Once I consume 2GB of 4G, my internet speeds become throttled to 2G.
    Here’s the problem: Say for example I munch 2GB of internet all only using 2G, once I find myself in a 4G covered area, my internet speed will have already become throttled because I used 2GB of data. There is obviously an issue here. So what’s happening is any data I use counts as my 2GB allotment.
    To take this a step further: In addition to internet fees, there is a separate charge for messaging. By default, when a picture message is sent, it utilizes the data channel to push the image. By doing so, this internet usage also counts toward my 2GB allotment. By no means should one have anything to do with each other. This is factual for the very reason that if I have a “dumb phone” without an internet package and send a picture message, internet will still be used!
    I filed complaints with the BBB, FCC and so on. I got a rude response from a T-Mobile rep, which I interpreted, that internally he understood the problem but had to sort of give me a generic response because he represents T-Mobile and can’t contradict them.

can someone tell me where im wrong
    tmobile plans.pdf

Phone
    Optimus G
    Carrier
    Not Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Well, the plan is advertised as "up to 2 GB high speed data." That means you may get that much high speed data, or you may not. Is this a real problem for you or a hypothetical one?

I am sure if you read the terms of service you will find some long and boring explanation of what "up to" means.

Phones
    HTC Sensation 4G
    HTC Sensation 4G
    Carrier
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    look at the attachment photo, its says "with 2gb of high speed data"

tmobile argues that as long as they throttle slower than 2g speeds then 2g is relatively "high speed"

what about mms using "limited data"?

Phones
    HTC Sensation 4G
    HTC Sensation 4G
    Carrier
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by spekkio View Post
    Well, the plan is advertised as "up to 2 GB high speed data." That means you may get that much high speed data, or you may not. Is this a real problem for you or a hypothetical one?

I am sure if you read the terms of service you will find some long and boring explanation of what "up to" means.

Real problem especially the mms part I travel over 1000 miles a week and that causes me to be in a lot of 2g zones.

I can't afford to pay for services I don't really get!

Phones
    HTC Sensation 4G
    HTC Sensation 4G
    Carrier
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    is no one understanding my problem here????

Carriers
    TMo 4G/mon
    Feedback Score
    They are selling you 2GB of data as fast as they can give it. That you used it up on EDGE is somewhat irrelevant. They didn't force you to use it that way, that's just how it worked out. After that, they do force the rate at which you can consume it.

You are paying for data, you got the data.

I don't follow your thing about messaging. MMS is not text messaging. It uses data. Pictures and video are not text. Maybe you can explain the details of your plan as it relates to messaging if you think you are getting hosed there?