Thread: iPhone 4s with micro sim card vs regular net10 phone

Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

iPhone 4s with micro sim card vs regular net10 phone

My wife has a regular net10 phone and it has great coverage where we live and through out the state. Hers does not have a sim card installed. From what I understand it is working off the verizon towers.

I have an iPhone 4s with AT&T that has crappy cell coverage only 1/8 mile around where we live (great everywhere else). I would like to get the micro sim card from net10 and switch over to the net10 unlimited talk, text, data plan for $50 mth.

No one speaks good enough english for me to understand or just does not understand what I am asking. I hope someone here can answer my question:

When I enter my zipcode for my home the Net10 site says "we do not offer service in this zip code". I know I get service for this area because the wife has a regular net10 phone. Do they mean just no data? If I would have talk & text at home I would be happy since I can use the wi-fi. If I check the surrounding area zipcodes they say the service is available. And when I travel in town with the service I would have all three: talk, text, & data? Or would I have no service at home at all and only when I go into town?

Does this make any sense?

Thanks
    Joe

Carrier
    GSM: Whoever has the best deal!
    Feedback Score
    Joe,

Go to the AT&T Mobility web site (www.wireless.att.com) and check the coverage that way. If it shows you have good solid 3G or 4G coverage there, than the AT&T compatible SIM from Net10 (or Straight Talk) will work just fine.

BTW, Straight Talk is functionally the same as Net10 (owned by the same parent company) but is $5 per month cheaper.

The bottom line: If you have crappy AT&T service now with your iPhone, then it'll be just as crappy using a Net10 SIM. It's the same AT&T network no matter who you're paying to get on it.

Good luck,

John L.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Feedback Score
    You have a zip code that Net10 considers to be Verizon only. That may not be literally true. It's just that Net10 doesn't believe that AT&T will work in a satisfactory manner in that particular zip code. If you just ask to see the phones, you will notice that the url of the phones page is showing market=CO. That means CDMA (Verizon in this case).

It doesn't matter what zip code you enter. They really don't care. It's just a guideline to what they think is appropriate for your area. You can put a nearby zip if you want, or any zip that will work. It's just that you will have to take the responsibility if AT&T doesn't end up working well. Actually, you are supposed to use the zip where you will be using the phone the most. Then they can see if AT&T is reasonable there.

The shipping zip doesn't have to match the searching zip. One is for phone usage and one is for convenient sim delivery.

Your area is not the greatest for AT&T, so it just depends on what level of signal you can tolerate. And different phones get different reception. As a general rule, Verizon specializes in the more far flung communities, because CDMA is better for distances (has to do with the radio frequency). AT&T would need too many towers just for a small customer base.

So I know you want to use your nice phone. You just happen to live where CDMA is king.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Thibadeaux: Put any cell phone number in at this site and hit submit, the next page will show the phones service provider before you are signed up for alerts. https://www.wirelessamberalerts.org/index.jsp

You will find much more extensive coverage of the BYOD SIM (and phone set-up) on the Straight Talk forum:
    http://www.howardforums.com/forumdis...-Straight-Talk

You could call the local Miami number for Tracfone to varify if local service is/isn`t available for an AT&T SIM. There is also a T-Mobile SIM but NOT micro sized, nor will you have all the necessary frequencies on the phone. Does no one in your area get good AT&T service?

Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    ....................Does no one in your area get good AT&T service?
    I have a AT&T cell tower less than a mile from my home. Cell service is actually great all around here - just not so in my home. We live on the backside of a grade/slight bottom that kinda blocks the signal some. So full bars all around at the neighbors and only one bar inside the house. To talk while in the house I need to be by a window or door.

So in a nutshell if I went to Net10 sim I would still be using AT&T gsm network? Same service I am getting now but only paying $50 per month instead of $79. May be worth my while to switch to Net10.

Feedback Score
    Net10 buys service wholesale from AT&T and then resells it. I am pretty sure that the service is the same, except for some features that AT&T does keep for itself to sell.

Make sure you write down this number: 305-715-6500. It is the best Tracfone/Net10 CS. An actual receptionist answers the phone.

Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info. I will write the # down and keep in a safe place.

Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tibadoe View Post
    I have a AT&T cell tower less than a mile from my home. Cell service is actually great all around here - just not so in my home. We live on the backside of a grade/slight bottom that kinda blocks the signal some. So full bars all around at the neighbors and only one bar inside the house. To talk while in the house I need to be by a window or door.

So in a nutshell if I went to Net10 sim I would still be using AT&T gsm network? Same service I am getting now but only paying $50 per month instead of $79. May be worth my while to switch to Net10.
    Just an update: I purchased a Net10 phone with the unlimited plan for the wife and my son. Both were activated on the AT&T GSM network and are doing fine. Since I am still under contract with my AT&T iphone I can use the 3G MicroCell tower for all our phones which gives us all a great signal in and around the house. The downside to this setup is if I ditch or cancel my AT&T service I loose the MicroCell tower. I am thinking of getting one more of these LG unlimited phones for our daughter.