Thread: Simple vs straight talk

Phone
    Samsung Transform
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Simple vs straight talk

Suggestions? Anyone? The coverage for both are similar where I live. My main thing with choosing is the data cap. It's soft for both, as I understand. But is one better? How about in terms of customer service?

Carrier
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I was on the Simple Mobile $60 plan for a year until the Straight Talk BYOD. I've had to call customer service maybe twice in that year for Simple Mobile and it was quite pleasant. Also, with SM, You know you're going to get at least 2 GB of data before they start throttling and another 1 GB of data before they shut it off completely. Even after that, they only shut off data until the next billing cycle. If you continue excessive usage, they will terminate your account according to the TOS, although, I don't believe anyone's account has ever been terminated. I averaged around 1.5 - 2 GB a month and never had an issue.

With all that said, I still switched to Straight Talk and have been with them for 3 months now. It seems the people with the "T-Mo" Straight Talk sim are having better luck regarding data. So far all the complaints have been from people using the "AT&T" sim. I haven't changed my data habits at all despite everyone saying to use wifi as often as possible to avoid your account being terminated and you losing your number... but, I hardly ever use wifi, even at home. Once in a while, I'll stream TuneIn radio and watch a couple of Youtube videos but, so far, I haven't heard anything from Straight Talk regarding data usage. I've never had to call Straight Talk customer service but from what I hear, I hope I never have to.

If you're a data hog and you value your phone number too much, definitely stick with Simple Mobile. If you feel you can control your data usage, you're not going to find a better deal than Straight Talk.

With Carlos "Slim Shady" buying Simple Mobile, they're going to be part of the America Movil family anyway.

Phone
    Samsung Transform
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Wow thank you for that through thoughtful answer. That was exactly the feedback I was looking for.

Phone
    iPhone 5S
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BrandyAnn View Post
    Wow thank you for that through thoughtful answer. That was exactly the feedback I was looking for.
    IN A NUTSHELL:

If you have a T-mobile phone use Simple Mobile and save the $5.
    If you have an ATT Phone use Straighttalk for the 3G data.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksurfer View Post
    IN A NUTSHELL:

If you have a T-mobile phone use Simple Mobile and save the $5.
    If you have an ATT Phone use Straighttalk for the 3G data.
    Can you elaborate please? Currently I have a carrier unlocked iPhone 4 on Straight Talk using AT&T network. Do I have the option of switching to Simple Mobile's $40 plan with 3g on T-mobile's network? If so, what are the pros and cons?
    Pete

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by paroots View Post
    Can you elaborate please? Currently I have a carrier unlocked iPhone 4 on Straight Talk using AT&T network. Do I have the option of switching to Simple Mobile's $40 plan with 3g on T-mobile's network? If so, what are the pros and cons?
    Pete
    Iphone is not supporting Tmo Bands for 3g. may be some time later when they refarm their 1900 spectrum

Feedback Score
    My unlocked 3GS runs on a T-Mo SIM as Att network at my home and many places in my sales territory is pee poor with Att. I get 2g/Edge speed, but still able to watch youtube, stream pandora, and emails are fine (even with pic attachments). At home, I run wifi, so even better. Att coverage/signal rating maps are so inaccurate..they show their best coverage at my home..right, I get 1 bar...T-Mo gives me pretty much full bars in most areas of N. Ca. And yes, my pic mail works fine. YMMV