Thread: GoPhone Smartphone usage without data plan using WiFi

Feedback Score

GoPhone Smartphone usage without data plan using WiFi

Hi, I want to buy a Fusion or Avail for my son. I do not want to buy a data plan for him.

Question #1: Do we have to buy a data plan to use the features of this phone? Can we buy this phone and use the features of the phone via wifi if we are only wanting to use it from wi-fi locations and don't care about non wi-fi locations or MUST we buy a data plan to use the features of this phone?

Also, I know that GoPhones can be moved from pre-paid plans to family plans (bring your own phone). If the answer to question 1 is NO (if you are on wi-fi you do NOT need a data plan), then

Question #2: If we migrate the phone to a post-paid family plan, must we buy a data plan on that phone, or can it continue to get email / surf web, etc with Wifi?

Thanks very much for your help on this.

Carriers
    H2O Wireless - AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Simple answers:
    A1: No
    A2: Yes

Long answers:

You can use full features of a smartphone on a GoPhone line exclusively via wi-fi. You are not forced to add a data plan on a GoPhone if you don't want to.

On the other hand you will be forced to add a data plan if the phone is on a postpaid plan. A data add-on will automatically be added by AT&T as soon as it detects a smartphone on a postpaid plan. It can still continue working exclusively via wi-fi if you want to (e.g. turning the 'mobile data' off), but there's no way to get around paying for the data add-on if a smartphone is on a postpaid plan. Yes, there are exceptions, but these do not apply particularly to the Avail or Fusion, which are AT&T branded smartphones.

Phones
    iPhone 4
    iPhone 4
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Yeah prepaid doesn't require data. But unfortunately postpaid does

Phones
    Nokia 2600,6010,3585i
    LG Optimus L9,iPhone 3GS & 4Sx2,Palm Pixi Plus
    Nokia Lumia 520, 3220, 6030, 3585i
    Carrier
    GoPhonex4 PagePlusx2 TMo2Go Tracfone Ptel AV
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by newcronos View Post
    On the other hand you will be forced to add a data plan if the phone is on a postpaid plan. A data add-on will automatically be added by AT&T as soon as it detects a smartphone on a postpaid plan. It can still continue working exclusively via wi-fi if you want to (e.g. turning the 'mobile data' off), but there's no way to get around paying for the data add-on if a smartphone is on a postpaid plan
    Really? Even with mobile data off? Like if I needed another reason to stay away of postpaid contracts.
    Current:Former:
    Hi, my name is Jairzinho and I've been Wireless Contract-free for 14 years!

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    The IMEI, which is broadcasted each time you use the network, identifies the device. It does not matter whether you use data or not. That is how data is disabled with smartphones on the GoPhone service without data packages.
    Earl F. Parrish

Phones
    iPhone 4
    iPhone 4
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Yeah AT&T has some pretty strict rules with there policies.

Phones
    Currently using a Samsung Galaxy S2 running CM 10.2 (Android 4.3.1)
    Previously used a Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Previously used LG Thrive, LG Env2, & LG Chocolate 2 (VX8550)
    Carriers
    T-Mobile Pay As You Go 10 minutes per minute w/o data.
    Feedback Score
    And remember, if you are using either the 10 cents per minute plan or the $2/day plan, you don't have access at all to 3G data. Data packages are only available for purchase if you are using either the $25/month or $50/month plans. I just wanted to make sure you had all the information you need. Good luck.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by newcronos View Post
    Simple answers:
    A1: No
    A2: Yes

Long answers:

You can use full features of a smartphone on a GoPhone line exclusively via wi-fi. You are not forced to add a data plan on a GoPhone if you don't want to.

On the other hand you will be forced to add a data plan if the phone is on a postpaid plan. A data add-on will automatically be added by AT&T as soon as it detects a smartphone on a postpaid plan. It can still continue working exclusively via wi-fi if you want to (e.g. turning the 'mobile data' off), but there's no way to get around paying for the data add-on if a smartphone is on a postpaid plan. Yes, there are exceptions, but these do not apply particularly to the Avail or Fusion, which are AT&T branded smartphones.
    I agree with the above points. The only issue is that the GPS functions typically want a data plan; since GPS does not seem to be a concern right now, you'll be fine without it.
    -Ken

Phone
    Motorola W315
    Carrier
    Alltel U
    Feedback Score

Smart phone without data plan for Wi-Fi only on pay per minute

Is it possible to use a smart phone on a pay per minute plan without a data plan and use WiFi only for web browsing?

I currently have an A107 and it works fine for voice. I would like something that is better for occasional texting and browsing on Wifi.

If it is possible, which smart phones can use the sim from the A107?

If I can not use a smart phone, what is the best non-smart phone with a qwerty keyboard?
    WAR EAGLE!!!

Feedback Score