Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: AT&T iPhone to Virgin Mobile?

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

AT&T iPhone to Virgin Mobile?

Is it possible? Will Virgin Mobile unlock or will AT&T allow the unlocking of their iPhone to Virgin Mobile?

I have a 4s. Would LOVE to cut my bill in half. I'm paying $111/month right now. I'd even be happy w/ a $60/month bill. ATT has good service and Virgin Mobile is good too, so I wouldn't mind switching.
    My body is a cage,
    My mind holds the key.
    Except I lost the key.

Feedback Score
    The reps on their facebook page say that you must purchase a VM iphone. bummer :-(

Feedback Score
    AT&T uses GSM, while Virgin Mobile/Sprint uses CDMA. It is physically impossible.

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FallenAnjel View Post
    Is it possible? Will Virgin Mobile unlock or will AT&T allow the unlocking of their iPhone to Virgin Mobile?

I have a 4s. Would LOVE to cut my bill in half. I'm paying $111/month right now. I'd even be happy w/ a $60/month bill. ATT has good service and Virgin Mobile is good too, so I wouldn't mind switching.
    Are you in a contract?

If so and if you have a good VM coverage, you could start over and get a VM iPhone and break even in about 17 months. If you don't have an etf, it might be 12 months. Either scenario doesn't include whatever you'd get from selling your iPhone.

BYOD with US CDMA carriers is just not an easy process (if at all possible).

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Etegral View Post
    AT&T uses GSM, while Virgin Mobile/Sprint uses CDMA. It is physically impossible.
    I think the VZ and Sprint iPhones have GSM. I'm not sure if the AT&T one supports CDMA. Regardless, VM wouldn't activate it willingly.

Carriers
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by exuberance View Post
    The reps on their facebook page say that you must purchase a VM iphone. bummer :-(
    And that's consistent with the history of this provider. VMUSA has never let customers bring their own devices.

Phones
    iPhone 5 16GB
    iPhone 5 32GB (wife)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FallenAnjel View Post

Your best bet would be to switch to Straight Talk, which is an AT&T MVNO. You can use your current iPhone, and don't even need to unlock it. $45/month for unlimited talk, text and data*. You can buy a micro SIM for $15 on their web site: http://www.straighttalksim.com/

*provided your idea of unlimited data is < 100 MB/day, and < 2 GB/month. You'll lose all data if you go over that - at least according to their customers' postings on HoFo.

Phone
    EVO 4G LTE
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
    Your best bet would be to switch to Straight Talk, which is an AT&T MVNO. You can use your current iPhone, and don't even need to unlock it. $45/month for unlimited talk, text and data*. You can buy a micro SIM for $15 on their web site: http://www.straighttalksim.com/

*provided your idea of unlimited data is < 100 MB/day, and < 2 GB/month. You'll lose all data if you go over that - at least according to their customers' postings on HoFo.
    That's definitely one of the best deals for service on an iPhone, the big downfall is no data streaming allowed. Many people like to use Pandora, Slacker, or tuneinradio and the like but if not it's a great option.
    Sensorly --- Signal Check Pro --- Root Metrics

$100 - 4 Lines (Framily)
    $15 - 2GB Tablet Plan
    $15 - 2GB Tablet Plan

Phones
    Motorola Triumph, LG Optimus V
    Motorola Triumph
    LG Optimus V
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JDubTrey View Post
    I think the VZ and Sprint iPhones have GSM. I'm not sure if the AT&T one supports CDMA. Regardless, VM wouldn't activate it willingly.
    It's possible they have world phone chips, but it's not a feature Apple touts ("look at our shiny screen"). So no, VZ iPhones use CDMA, Sprint iPhones use CDMA, and I'm sure that with Apple's stranglehold leaving bruisemarks on the necks of their most devoted users, it will be awfully difficult to put an (up-to-date) CDMA iPhone onto Virgin Mobile's network.

Aww.

Carrier
    AIO, Cricket or whatever AT&T is calling it this week
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 503ducati View Post
    the big downfall is no data streaming allowed.
    Streaming? On Straight Talk it's not allowed, and on Sprint's EVDO it rarely works due to slow speeds. Plus, Virgin caps you back to the stone age if you exceed 2.5GB in a month anyway.

If someone likes to stream media, T-Mobile's 5gb plan or Clear WiMax (if you have coverage) are where it's at. Unfortunately, the iPhone currently supports neither option directly. There are WiFi hotspots (or hacking a cheap Android phone to be a hotspot) that can run on those networks, but you lose most of the savings advantage and end up having to carry an additional device.

The next iPhone is rumored to have LTE. The OP could always just wait and sign up for actual Sprint postpaid and get unlimited LTE once their network is all built out. It's something to consider, anyway.

Phone
    lg optimus,motorola i425,samsung r211
    Carrier
    boost mobile,cricket paygo,virgin mobile
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (lg optimus v,huawei m835: Opera/9.80 (Android; Opera Mini/7.0.29952/27.1993; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 Version/11.10)

who cares.this thread was a simple question and a simple answer. no

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by primetechv2 View Post
    It's possible they have world phone chips, but it's not a feature Apple touts ("look at our shiny screen"). So no, VZ iPhones use CDMA, Sprint iPhones use CDMA, and I'm sure that with Apple's stranglehold leaving bruisemarks on the necks of their most devoted users, it will be awfully difficult to put an (up-to-date) CDMA iPhone onto Virgin Mobile's network.

Aww.
    There is no difference in iPhone 4S models around the globe with the exception of the ones China Mobile uses.

Feedback Score

Maybe it will work

I believe VM now supports some GSM units. Sprint too, now has some GSM capabilities. I'm not sure about the details or whether it all works with AT&T or T-Mobile.

Feedback Score
    Confusion and misinfo continue to persist in spite of the facts and available info. Here's an article from 1.5 years ago:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-574...r-u.s-carrier/

Carriers
    AT&T
    Turkcell
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tli View Post
    Confusion and misinfo continue to persist in spite of the facts and available info. Here's an article from 1.5 years ago:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-574...r-u.s-carrier/
    How about a factory unlocked phone? Does Sony Xperia Z1 compact have CDMA capability? Can I use it with VM?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast