Nokia E72 & E75
    Nokia BH-503 & BH-212 headsets
    Carrier
    Orange (UK)
    Feedback Score

Turn off auto-rotation, BUT in horizontal (landscape) mode

Hello All,

I wonder if anyone can help?

Due to disability (Cerebral Palsy) I only have the use of one hand. I have just gone over to using a Galaxy S II. When I am using a phone, in a wheelchair, I usually rest it on my bad arm, which I have resting on my lap. For this reason I prefer the keyboard to be in landscape mode; this also helps as the keys are slightly larger. Getting the keyboard into landscape mode is not a problem of course. However, when I put the phone down on my arm it has a habit of reverting back to portrait mode. Now I know you can turn auto-rotation off, but they assume that you want it to stay in portrait mode. I do not. I want the keyboard to always be in landscape mode.

I have had a quick Google without any success. Is there a simple, or not so simple way, of forcing the keyboard into permanent landscape mode?

I have the Samsung Galaxy S II, on ICS 4.0.3.

Richard.

Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Davros0 View Post
    Hello All,

I wonder if anyone can help?

Due to disability (Cerebral Palsy) I only have the use of one hand. I have just gone over to using a Galaxy S II. When I am using a phone, in a wheelchair, I usually rest it on my bad arm, which I have resting on my lap. For this reason I prefer the keyboard to be in landscape mode; this also helps as the keys are slightly larger. Getting the keyboard into landscape mode is not a problem of course. However, when I put the phone down on my arm it has a habit of reverting back to portrait mode. Now I know you can turn auto-rotation off, but they assume that you want it to stay in portrait mode. I do not. I want the keyboard to always be in landscape mode.

I have had a quick Google without any success. Is there a simple, or not so simple way, of forcing the keyboard into permanent landscape mode?

I have the Samsung Galaxy S II, on ICS 4.0.3.

Richard.
    Hi, sorry to hear about your disability. Yes, there is a way to permanently force your phone to be in landscape mode.

There is this app in the Play Store which takes care of that. It works on my Galaxy S2 and I assume that it should support ICS as well.

Here is the link to the Play Store:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rotationlocker

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
    <<Achieved on "America's Most Affordable 4G Network!"

Phones
    Samsung U430 (fully functioinal bluetooth)
    Moto Droid as an accessory
    LG VX8350 (retired)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Rotation Locker is free, seems to work well. Orientation Control is $1.49, description fits.

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S II
    Nokia E72 & E75
    Carrier
    Orange (UK)
    Feedback Score
    Thanks to the pair of you. I will go and have a look.

Thanks, again.

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S II
    Nokia E72 & E75
    Carrier
    Orange (UK)
    Feedback Score
    Thanks, TheCellphoneGuy. I have tried Rotation ocker and it seems to do exactly what I want.

@Steveanderson13. Once I start getting to play with profiles, I will give Orientation Control a try. At the moment though, Rotation Locker suits me fine.

Thanks guys.

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S II
    Nokia E72 & E75
    Carrier
    Orange (UK)
    Feedback Score
    I know it is slightly off-topic (but then I created the thread, and my question has been adequately answered), but can anyone please tell me how to change "Phone Expert" in my header. I might have been once, but not any more with the smartphones. I did look through settings last night but could not find setting to change.

Richard.

Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Davros0 View Post
    I know it is slightly off-topic (but then I created the thread, and my question has been adequately answered), but can anyone please tell me how to change "Phone Expert" in my header. I might have been once, but not any more with the smartphones. I did look through settings last night but could not find setting to change.

Richard.
    That can't be changed, because it's based on your number of posts, once you reach a certain number it will change to something else. The only other way to change it is by becoming a premium member.

It's explained in more detail here:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...4#post14004364

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S II
    Nokia E72 & E75
    Carrier
    Orange (UK)
    Feedback Score
    Thank you.

I did not think I would have set something as conceited as that but thought I must have. :-)

Richard

Phones
    LG G2
    LG G2
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    If you also want a large keyboard (works great in landscape mode) try A.I.type Keyboard Free you can re-size it all you want!
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...5hbmRyb2lkIl0.

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S II
    Nokia E72 & E75
    Carrier
    Orange (UK)
    Feedback Score
    Thanks, CA,

I will definitely give that a try, thank you. Though Rotation Locker is working well for me, the keyboards are a bit of a pain. I have tried a few. That is just because I have the shakes, if my wrist is not resting on a surface. At the moment, as I type this on the computer, my palm is resting on the edge of the keyboard shelf. I have found a way of doing it, though I would not do it in public. If the phone is on the table, and I put my thumb in my mouth, I can guide my finger to the appropriate key - most of the time. Typing and E-Mail address, or in particular my standard 14-chacter password (consisting of numbers and case-changes), is a nightmare. For this reason, the larger the keys the better. :-)

I was setting up a Samsung Service account yesterday, for the security tracking and locking features, and it took me ages. They have this bloody big banner at the top of the screen that if you have the phone in landscape mode obscures the typing window. That is not usually a problem though.

This is the main reason I put off getting a touchscreen for years. Do not get me wrong, a physical keyboard is not easy for me, and this is the main reason the phone is usually hooked up to the computer; I can use its keyboard. I suppose you could argue that the touchscreen is a better option. At least I can change the size keyboard. I have to confess, using the SGS2 has not been as nightmarish as I thought it was going to be. :-)

<Ricky boogies-off to get A.I. type>

Richard

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S II
    Nokia E72 & E75
    Carrier
    Orange (UK)
    Feedback Score
    Thanks CA,

I have just installed and configured A,I. type. My first test in portrait mode, resting on my arm, "Is this any better to type on?", only produced one mistake. I noticed this as I typed it and was able to correct it there and then.

If I use the voice recognition (which is another story in itself with me) and spot a mistake, the problem I then have is trying to get my finger to the right place to edit. I tried a keyboard with cursor keys, as I thought that might have helped. Alas, it did not.

Up to now I do like this one. I just hope the initial test was not a fluke.

Richard.

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S II
    Nokia E72 & E75
    Carrier
    Orange (UK)
    Feedback Score
    Yey, I have just found the cursor keys on this keyboard. :-))

Thank you.

Phones
    LG G2
    LG G2
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    You know it learns too, but it's the best mash and go keyboard my eyes have found!
    Google’s goal appears to be nothing short of world domination. The technology giant may be working toward a future where it powers our smartphones, our tablets, our computers, the services we access on our devices and the networks we rely on for connectivity at home and on the go.

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S II
    Nokia E72 & E75
    Carrier
    Orange (UK)
    Feedback Score
    Well I have been playing with it on/off all day. I did not know it learns, no. I have also downloaded the windows version, though I am having problems registering my E-mail address. Possibly due to my E-Mail address being a web address that then forwards the mail onto my ISP address. It would not be the first service to object to this.

I think my search is over. If anyone can show me a better keyboard app then please try.

I am happy enough.