Thread: Questions about Samsung Galaxy Proclaim from Straight Talk.

Feedback Score

Questions about Samsung Galaxy Proclaim from Straight Talk.

Right now i have a Samsung R451 in which Straight Talk cant figure out how to get my Voice mail working again.

So since the phone is pretty old anyway they told me to just buy another phone and problem SHOULDNT carry over.

Anyway looking at the Galaxy Proclaim from Straight Talk and very interested but just wanted to come here (first timer to this site) and ask a few questions about the phone.

Ive read in a few places that this phone is a Verizon based phone. Hope that is correct cause where i live at 16201 i can only get Verizon to work here.

1. Heard the rumor that if taken out of your local zip code you lose data capability. Is that true or just a bad rumor?

2. How is the internet on this phone? On my current phone i dont have full internet so i cant do online banking and cant go to just any sites or even just surf the net.

3. Ive never had a smart phone so my question is does the date coverage the same as phone coverage or is that two different things?

4. Ive always had a phone with a keyboard, so how awkward is it to use a touch screen instead of a keyboard for texing?

Thanks everyone.

Carrier
    Net10
    Feedback Score
    1.If you take it out of native Verizon coverage you will lose data(and voice & text), not necessarily out of your local zip code.
    No roaming on Verizon with Straight Talk. That is different than say if you were on AT&T with straight talk you can roam on T-mobile.

2.You will get full web experience although I think I have heard that flash is not possible out of the box, but you will get a 100% better web browsing experience.

3. There will be places that you can get voice coverage but will not get data coverage(I am talking about what really happens out in the country).
    http://vzwmap.verizonwireless.com/do...agetype=prepay

4. It works for some, and not for others. If you have a friend with a touch screen only try it out and see.

If Verizon is the best carrier for you, have you looked at Page Plus?

Carriers
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by glennh73 View Post
    Right now i have a Samsung R451 in which Straight Talk cant figure out how to get my Voice mail working again.

So since the phone is pretty old anyway they told me to just buy another phone and problem SHOULDNT carry over.

Anyway looking at the Galaxy Proclaim from Straight Talk and very interested but just wanted to come here (first timer to this site) and ask a few questions about the phone.

Ive read in a few places that this phone is a Verizon based phone. Hope that is correct cause where i live at 16201 i can only get Verizon to work here.

1. Heard the rumor that if taken out of your local zip code you lose data capability. Is that true or just a bad rumor?

2. How is the internet on this phone? On my current phone i dont have full internet so i cant do online banking and cant go to just any sites or even just surf the net.

3. Ive never had a smart phone so my question is does the date coverage the same as phone coverage or is that two different things?

4. Ive always had a phone with a keyboard, so how awkward is it to use a touch screen instead of a keyboard for texing?

Thanks everyone.
    I don't know if switching the phone will fix the voice mail issue, since it's still the same phone number.

1. That rumor was started by a Straight Talk rep, but it's incorrect. What the rep meant was that the phone is limited to native Verizon coverage only, no roaming, so you'll have the same coverage on the Proclaim as you do on your current phone.

2. The internet on this phone will be a lot like the one that you have at home, meaning a much more advanced web browser than your current phone and faster speeds if you have 3G in your area.

3. Yes, the data coverage is the same as voice coverage. Verizon has upgraded most of their network to 3g, but there are still some areas with 2G coverage, which would result in slower data speeds, however there are very few of them left.

4. It will eventually become second nature for you to use an on-screen keyboard. There are so many varieties of keyboards in the Google Play Store that you'll find something that you like.

BTW, here is a review of the phone, if you haven't seen it already. It should give you an idea on what to expect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsyRnaY8ErI

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
    <<Achieved on "America's Most Affordable 4G Network!"

Feedback Score
    I've had the phone for 2 weeks now. It's my first android. I was using a Blackberry Bold 9700. The
    web experience is a lot better on the proclaim. The coverage with Verizon is also better than my
    TMO coverage. I've been in about 5 different counties and data has worked everywhere.

Feedback Score
    Well just ordered the phone from straighttalk since none of the walmarts in my area have the phone. Watched a few vids on youtube about phone and really like it. Hate the price but hope its worth it.

Feedback Score
    I just ordered the Proclaim from Straighttalk. I had to go to a different ZIP code to find it; it wasn't offered in my ZIP code. I'm a retiree, struggling to figure out how to get a smartphone I can afford that runs on Verizon (widely said to be the best coverage in Denver-Boulder area, which I want in case of emergency). Is this phone going to work for me with the full Verizon coverage map or have I stuck myself with the pathetic coverage shown on the Android map, which I only just saw? Will it work at all if I went to a different ZIP code to order it? I've gotten so confused trying to sort out so many things.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PiedType View Post
    I just ordered the Proclaim from Straighttalk. I had to go to a different ZIP code to find it; it wasn't offered in my ZIP code. I'm a retiree, struggling to figure out how to get a smartphone I can afford that runs on Verizon (widely said to be the best coverage in Denver-Boulder area, which I want in case of emergency). Is this phone going to work for me with the full Verizon coverage map or have I stuck myself with the pathetic coverage shown on the Android map, which I only just saw? Will it work at all if I went to a different ZIP code to order it? I've gotten so confused trying to sort out so many things.

the android coverage map you just saw is for the phones that run on the sprint prepaid (no roaming) network. the proclaim is native pre paid coverage only (no roaming).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    the android coverage map you just saw is for the phones that run on the sprint prepaid (no roaming) network. the proclaim is native pre paid coverage only (no roaming).
    So, if I understand correctly, the Proclaim operates across the entire Verizon network, the map with the massive coverage. Cool. Roaming is hardly a concern if that coverage is my playground. Thanks. Sounds like I got what I wanted.

Feedback Score
    I'm liking my Proclaim. It's my first smartphone and I love it.