Thread: How to change Samsung Precedent from Sprint to Verizon

Feedback Score

How to change Samsung Precedent from Sprint to Verizon

When I purchased my Samsung Precedent, I was told it was a phone that used Verizon towers. When I got to North Dakota I had no service. North Dakota does not have Sprint service. I called Straight Talk. Straight Talk told me my phone was a sprint phone.

How can I switch my phone from Sprint to Verizon?

Phones
    Apple iPhone 5
    iPad WiFi + Cellular (3rd Gen)
    FreedomPop Photon
    Carriers
    Verizon (iPhone/iPad LTE)
    FreedomPop (Clear MVNO)
    Feedback Score
    Unfortunately the solution is pretty simple: Get rid of the Precedent and pick up a ST phone for Verizon.
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Feedback Score
    the Samsung Galaxy Proclaim is currently the only android smartphone on straight talk that uses verizon naitive coverage only (no roaming).

Feedback Score
    Same problem here but I'm in Texas.
    After calling ST Cust Srvs and being told that purchasing another phone was my only option, I decided to
    do some digging.
    I have found instructions in ..Idiots Guide: Flashing PRLs on the Precedent.

Before I tore into that I spoke to a friend who has been a mgr with Verizon for years...he told me of a
    much easier way to do it..
    To reprogram a PRL dial *22801 and choose option 1.
    I hope this help..it worked for me!!

]

Feedback Score

Need New Code to switch Straighttalk Phone from Sprint to Verizon

Quote Originally Posted by marymeaux View Post
    After calling ST Cust Srvs and being told that purchasing another phone was my only option, I decided to
    do some digging.

Before I tore into that I spoke to a friend who has been a mgr with Verizon for years...he told me of a

]
    Well, I tried the *22801. It says the code is invalid. It did not work. Would your manager friend have another code for a year 1/2 later? I have an LG Optimus Q. Walmart told me this phone was Verizon. When I called Straighttalk, they said all Optimus phones were Verizon. The box has an S, which means Sprint. So that is the kicker. It is a Sprint phone. The Walmarts that still carry it will tell you it is Sprint, because they look at the letter on the box. I ordered mine online. I really need to get Verizon, instead of Sprint. I do not want to go to the trouble or price in buying a new phone, when I have set up this phone, and had it for 1 1/2 days. Please help!

Phones
    Motorola ATRIX 2
    Verizon iPhone 4S (Wife's)
    Carriers
    Straight Talk, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by marymeaux View Post
    do some digging.

I don't even have words for the misinformation in the above quoted post. If only it were that easy!! I love how there's someone out there who actually thought their Precedent was magically switched to Verizon service with a special code.

Phone
    SM-N900A Samsung SGH-I337
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    why not return the phone and get the right phone for the network u want to use. Its brand new, been in your hands only for 1 1/2 days.

I have set up this phone, and had it for 1 1/2 days. Please help

Feedback Score

Cool Price too Good

Quote Originally Posted by Elpidio View Post
    why not return the phone and get the right phone for the network u want to use. Its brand new, been in your hands only for 1 1/2 days.

I have set up this phone, and had it for 1 1/2 days. Please help
    The reason I went with Straighttalk was because this phone "was Verizon" and because the price for the phone was excellent. Trading it in for another phone would cause me to pay $100 more.

Feedback Score

Cool Not so

Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    the Samsung Galaxy Proclaim is currently the only android smartphone on straight talk that uses verizon naitive coverage only (no roaming).
    That is simply not true in 2013. All newer Optimus phones are Verizon. The Optimus Q came out 1 1/2 years ago, that is why it is still designated Sprint. Still looking for that person who can help me convert my Straighttalk Sprint phone to Verizon.

Feedback Score
    There actually is some Sprint coverage in North Dakota, but only along part of I-94, I-29, and US 281.

I used to work in Wal-Mart's cell phone department in a city at the fringe of Sprint's coverage in North Dakota, and always questioned why we were getting sent the ST Samsung Galaxy Precedent, as very little of the area had decent Sprint coverage.

I am quite positive that every one of those Precedents came back within a week of being sold, due to lack of coverage. The problem with North Dakota's cellular coverage is that only Verizon has a well filled out coverage map, while AT&T's has a lot of holes in it, especially in the western part of the state.

The real problem is that a number of the Wal-Mart locations (both Bismarck stores, Minot, Williston, Dickinson) within North Dakota that were at least 90 miles from the nearest Sprint towers carried the Precedent for quite some time, coupled with inadequate training, made for a lot of returns and upset customers.