Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ice Cream Sandwich?

Device(s)
    Google Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Today my dad's phone got an update notice from T-mobile.
    After the update was done it's still on 2.3.6 (GB). Though it was an ICS update.

Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Baseballfanz View Post
    Today my dad's phone got an update notice from T-mobile.
    After the update was done it's still on 2.3.6 (GB). Though it was an ICS update.
    Did he update via Kies? Before I updated my phone, I had to do another update that wasn't ICS.

Tell your dad to install Samsung Kies for PC and connect the phone via USB and it should say "a newer version of the firmware is available" in the Samsung Kies program.

You click the agree button and it will update to ICS.

Kies can be downloaded from here:

www.samsung.com/us/kies/

If he wants to backup his text messages and call logs, he can download SMS Backup and Restore as well as Call Log Backup and Restore by Ritesh Sahu, from the Play Store.

Just make sure that he copies the folders for each one of these backup apps somewhere other than the phone, as they will get deleted otherwise.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
    <<Achieved on "America's Most Affordable 4G Network!"

Device(s)
    Google Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCellphoneGuy View Post
    Did he update via Kies? Before I updated my phone, I had to do another update that wasn't ICS.

Tell your dad to install Samsung Kies for PC and connect the phone via USB and it should say "a newer version of the firmware is available" in the Samsung Kies program.

You click the agree button and it will update to ICS.

Kies can be downloaded from here:

www.samsung.com/us/kies/

If he wants to backup his text messages and call logs, he can download SMS Backup and Restore as well as Call Log Backup and Restore by Ritesh Sahu, from the Play Store.

Just make sure that he copies the folders for each one of these backup apps somewhere other than the phone, as they will get deleted otherwise.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
    Appreciate the answer. It's gonna be something I will have to do for him later.
    He's 70 years old and just got on the "smartphone" thing. I get about 20 calls a day asking how to do
    this and that on his phone. LOL

Device(s)
    Google Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Successfully updated the phone to ICS via Kies.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy S II, Nokia 7510, Samsung Comeback
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I'm not very impressed with ICS, and am considering taking the phone back to Gingerbread 2.3.6. The UI Interface and TW something fail on a regular basis, freezing my phone. I didn't have these problems on Gingerbread.

However, I've also heard that there will be an update to ICS issued soon. Will this be over-the-air or via Kies? If this helps, I'll keep ICS.

Feedback Score
    I'm not sure this will help, but it's worth a try and It should help a little. After you update, they suggest you do a Factory Reset on your phone. There a a few ways to do this. But Back up any app data or stuff you want to keep. Don't worry about your apps, they are on google play store. I usually use Samsung Kies and back up my notes and stuff...Contacts for me as well as my calendars are always on google...

1st:

Go to: Menu>>Settings>>Back up and Reset>> first untick "Automatic Restore" then untick "Back up my data" then you can chose Factory Data Reset.

2nd:

Warning ~ no turning back after key in.

Bring up dialpad.

Key in *2767*3855#

Finally, SGS2 will be rebooted and factory data reset.

3rd:

Turn off SGS2. Remove the battery, wait a minute, then put it back in.

Press and hold down Volume Up + Home + Power buttons at the same time.

Release all buttons when you see SGS2 Logo.

Android system recovery will be loaded then.

I usually chose to clear cache here before I continue.

Select wipe data/factory reset. (Volume buttons to go up or down, select with Home button)

Select Yes — delete all user data.

Finally, select reboot system now.

I hope this helps!

Go to play.google.com from a pc and then click on my android apps in the upper right. From there it will tell you what you had installed and you can remote install what you need.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2