Thread: AT&T can't tell me what will happen to my text plan if I upgrade

Feedback Score

AT&T can't tell me what will happen to my text plan if I upgrade

So I have had a real adventure with this. I currently have an iPhone 3GS. My plan includes unlimited data for $30 per month and 200 text messages for $5. I want to upgrade to the Samsung Galaxy S3. Now when I go to upgrade on line, I get a couple choices for data:

• $30 per month for unlimited data
    • $35 per month for unlimited data and 1500 text messages

So this confused me and I called AT&T. The rep told me that I was not eligible for the $35 plan because it had been discontinued (even though it was being offered on the website). She told me that if I upgraded through her, I would keep my old $30/unlimited data and 200 text messages for $5. But I would have to take her word for it. I asked her what would happen if I clicked on the $35/unlimited data/1500 texts. She stated that it was a discontinued plan and that, if I made that selection online, I would end up with just a data plan (and no text messages) and my old $5/200 text plan would be forfeited.

The interaction with the phone rep confused me more, so I went into an AT&T store and told the entire story to the sales rep. He stated that the $35/unlimited data/1500 text plan had indeed been discontinued. He didn't know what would happen if I selected it online. I told him that I was happy with what I currently had and would like to continue my $30/unlimited data and $5/200 text plan. He stated that he wasn't sure whether my $5/200 text plan would come over after the upgrade. If it didn't, he told me that I could come back to see him and he would try calling AT&T corporate to have them add it on. He stated, however, that there was no guarantee, and so, I could end up with a data-only plan and that my only choice for text messages, at that point, would be $20/unlimited texts.

I told him that, essentially, he was asking me to sign another 2-year contract with AT&T but that I wouldn't know the terms of the text plan until after I had made the commitment. He essentially said yes and that I was free to go to another carrier if I was unhappy with that. He was even nice enough to tell me how to transfer my number.

So, despite doing their best to lose a customer, I guess my question is this: does anyone know what happens to an iPhone data/text plan when a customer leaves the iPhone platform? AT&T is really showing its incompetence when a simple question such as "can I keep my text plan?" cannot be answered by anyone in the company. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Not sure if my case is directly applicable but... A year ago I went from using an E71 off contract with 450 minutes, $15 media net, and $5/200 texts to an Atrix with 450 minutes, unlimited data, and $5/200 texts. This was after the $500/200 text plan was discontinued. So my $5/200 texts carried over to my new contract. I used the 2G iPhone unlimited data loophole so my 200 texts carried through that transition as well as onto my final Atrix plan.

Phone
    Nexus 5
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    You can keep your $5 text plan. Your $30 unlimited iPhone data will change to an unlimited 4G smartphone data plan for the same $30.

If you can't find a competent store rep to do this for you, just call AT&T. Usually the phone reps know what they are doing, and it sounded like the one you spoke with was correct.

LTE is here!

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    You absolutely can keep both your $30 unlimited data and $5 text plan. The phone reps seem to be more knowledgeable. Just write down the date/time, name of rep when calling.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I looked online today to pre order the Samsung Galaxy S3. I currently have the S1 with a 2 gb data pro plan and 1000 text messages. When I added the S3 to my cart I was not offered the 2 gb data plan. There was a 3 gb and 5 gb plan. I have a FAN account. Will I be able to keep the 2 gb plan and my 1000 text messages when I upgrade. I do not need 3 or 5 gbs or unlimited texting.

Phone
    Nexus 5
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JR1 View Post
    I looked online today to pre order the Samsung Galaxy S3. I currently have the S1 with a 2 gb data pro plan and 1000 text messages. When I added the S3 to my cart I was not offered the 2 gb data plan. There was a 3 gb and 5 gb plan. I have a FAN account. Will I be able to keep the 2 gb plan and my 1000 text messages when I upgrade. I do not need 3 or 5 gbs or unlimited texting.
    Like the OP, you need to find a competent store rep or call AT&T directly. Online systems are not reliable for those with grandfathered features, which is why I haven't purchased from Amazon, despite their superior prices.

Phones
    nexus one
    Galaxy Note
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JR1 View Post
    When I ordered my Galaxy Note, I had to select the 3GB plan also. I was and still am on the 2GB plan. Placing the order online did nothing to my plan; I don't think the changes are supposed to take place until you receive the new phone and "activate" it. When the phone arrived, I took it to an AT&T store to get my data plan provisioned for LTE (since it wasn't yet) and I told the rep I wanted to keep my 2GB plan instead of the 3GB, and after a bunch of typing, it was done.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rlb4 View Post
    You absolutely can keep both your $30 unlimited data and $5 text plan. The phone reps seem to be more knowledgeable. Just write down the date/time, name of rep when calling.
    They claim they can do it, but ultimately they can't. I was in the same boat last Christmas trying to get an S II. Tried at a Target store, and over the phone, both tried and failed or wanted you to take their word that you can call later and have it fixed. The way the system sees it the 200 Text plan can only transfer to another iPhone. Ultimately it's the reason I left at&t.

Carrier
    Cingulatt
    Feedback Score
    Pretty annoying, I have the exact same $30 unlimited data + $5/200 txt features as the OP. It looks like this combo can not be found anywhere on line whether it is AT&T, Amazon, etc. I guess the only way is to walk into a AT&T corporate store to keep those two features. I wonder if Radio Shack or Best Buy physical stores will be able to let me keep the $30 unlimited data + $5/200 txt features?

Feedback Score
    That sucks. You can't get your phone s from the dealers who whore them out price wise and keep your plan. Looks like the corporate store will have to get your business to keep that great plan.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I had the Unlimited $30/200 text $5 plan with my iPhone originally. I went down to the 200MB $15 plan last year, keeping the same text plan.

When I changed to an Android phone in February, I kept the same data plan, but was told by the instore rep that there was no way to keep the $5 text plan as it wasn't offered any more (including online). There was also no grandfathering of it either.

I wasn't about to spend $20/mo for unlimited texting, so I dropped it and use Google Voice instead. But what I find amazing is that employees of AT&T seem to be so clueless of their company's policies.
    Last edited by bruce7373; 06-28-2012 at 04:58 AM.

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Yep, it is sad that so many reps either are clueless or will blatantly lie to you. I have the $10/1000 text plan and have kept it. The phone reps seem to be the most knowledgeable/helpful.

Carrier
    Cingulatt
    Feedback Score
    I think it is all part of a scheme to switch people out of the grandfathered features.

Carrier
    Cingulatt
    Feedback Score
    Woohoo! AT&T OLAM GS3 preorder now has this option: Unlimited Personal Data Plan with 200 Messages for 4G LTE Smartphones (LDPBBVM2) for $35!