Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Any risk of losing my number with Straight Talk?

Feedback Score

Any risk of losing my number with Straight Talk?

I've read some posts in different threads about people possibly losing their phone numbers on Straight Talk due to abusing the service or whatnot.

I'm thinking of porting to ST, but do NOT want to risk losing my number. Can anyone shed some light as far as whether or not this is at all a possibility?

I understand "unlimited" isn't truly unlimited, and that ST may cancel/suspend you if you use too much data, tether, or whatnot. That's all understandable, but I just do not want to lose my number.

Any thoughts?

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    They apparently text and/or call and tell you to knock off the excessive usage. If you persist, they terminate your account.

For absolute safety, port your number to Google Voice and get a new ST SIM and phone number.
    Nexus 5 rooted with ST AT&T LTE SIM & full Google Voice integration

Feedback Score
    Bottom line, you will only be "at risk," if you are trying to game the system.

Phones
    Motorola i335
    IPhone 3G
    Sony Incognito
    Carriers
    Boost CDMA and IDen
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pzwnyc View Post
    Bottom line, you will only be "at risk," if you are trying to game the system.
    You are only at risk if you use your smartphone as it is intended. Game the system??? Good grief.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using HowardForums

Feedback Score
    Here's a reply from support:

We understand that you are inquiring if there is a way to guarantee that
    you will not lose your phone number once your service is suspended or
    terminated.

Please be informed that we will to keep your phone number up to 30 days
    after the phone is suspended or terminated. However, there is no
    assurance that you can still get your phone number after 30 days.
    That's comforting. Sounds like it would be hard to actually lose a number.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shawnlg View Post
    You are only at risk if you use your smartphone as it is intended. Game the system???
    I rest my case If the service offered doesn't meet your needs, either pick another one or start your own; instead of trying to subvert the service offered. Or as your ancestors used to tell my ancestors, "if you don't like it here, go back to where you came from."

Phones
    Changes Every Blink
    iPhone 4
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    wow @ the ancestor comment, lol.

I too would like to know what "game the system" equates to. I personally use a lot of data from streaming. I eat up 3GeeBees in less than a month on my iPad and it's a device with no cameras, MMS abilities, or LTE.

how much of a threat to ST am I?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sepurb View Post
    wow @ the ancestor comment, lol.

I too would like to know what "game the system" equates to. I personally use a lot of data from streaming. I eat up 3GeeBees in less than a month on my iPad and it's a device with no cameras, MMS abilities, or LTE.
    "Game the system," is what I mean by any person on HoFo that thinks they have a God given right to use every last byte of data they can get away with; legally or otherwise. Come on; no MNO is ever going to allow an MVNO to offer "real data plans" that usurp the MNO's ability to profit from those able, but not willing, to pay. The "quasi-unlimited" data from ST is merely excess capacity, that is left over from the regular MNO customers. It's like the "half off bin" at the supermarket; it's great for us bargain hunters, but it's not a "God given right."

Okay, so as part of your LIFESTYLE, you use 3 GB a month. ST probablly isn't for you, if you want to sustain that lifestyle. However, if you lifestyle requires less than 2 GB a month, and you're not a streaming addict, than ST will work just fine.

-- Peace

Phones
    Changes Every Blink
    iPhone 4
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    dang, I suppose it's no way around paying off Sprint then. I at least need 5GeeBees a month.

Feedback Score
    For what it's worth, Verizon just came out with a new data plan model...
    Verizon kills voice minutes, makes data shareable
    http://money.cnn.com/2012/06/12/tech...plan/index.htm

Carriers
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pzwnyc View Post
    "Game the system," is what I mean by any person on HoFo that thinks they have a God given right to use every last byte of data they can get away with; legally or otherwise. Come on; no MNO is ever going to allow an MVNO to offer "real data plans" that usurp the MNO's ability to profit from those able, but not willing, to pay. The "quasi-unlimited" data from ST is merely excess capacity, that is left over from the regular MNO customers. It's like the "half off bin" at the supermarket; it's great for us bargain hunters, but it's not a "God given right."

Okay, so as part of your LIFESTYLE, you use 3 GB a month. ST probablly isn't for you, if you want to sustain that lifestyle. However, if you lifestyle requires less than 2 GB a month, and you're not a streaming addict, than ST will work just fine.

-- Peace
    You may be reading too much into what people are saying.

TMo prepaid clearly states where they will throttle you on their plan charts.

VM clearly states where they will throttle you on their plans charts.

If ST clearly stated what the rules were, you'd have few if any complaints. I saw in the TOS that they don't allow streaming so I see that ST isn't for me.....but they are fairly surreptitious about that policy and whatever data limits they DO have.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JDubTrey View Post
    TMo prepaid clearly states where they will throttle you on their plan charts.

VM clearly states where they will throttle you on their plans charts.

If ST clearly stated what the rules were, you'd have few if any complaints. I saw in the TOS that they don't allow streaming so I see that ST isn't for me.....but they are fairly surreptitious about that policy and whatever data limits they DO have.
    I agree with you on that. My issue is the dozens of schemes I see, trying to either circumvent, stretch to the limit, or otherwise get around the "intent/spirit" of what ST is trying (rather unsuccessfully) to say in the T&C.

Phone
    OnePlus
    Carrier
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    To answer the OP, yes there is SOME risk. Probably a bit more than other providers. I've had a different scenario then a lot of people who are really afraid about losing their number, for the past few years i've been using my Google Voice # as my primary number and slowly phasing out people who know my 'real' number. So I'm porting to Straight Talk and hoping to keep my number but if I lose it, maybe I'll lose the people who I don't really want to know my number anyway
    Go GSM! Switch phones on demand.

Feedback Score
    A year ago, ST took my number. They said I probably hadn't used it for a while. No, cause in FL we are in a no-service area, except when we go to town. But I was on auto-pay, so there was no reason to lose it. I called them several times, file complaints with FCC and Miami BBB, finally I got it back.
    Lost it again two weeks ago, when they couldn't get my new Samsung Proclaim to work. The said the zipcode which was tied to ti was not the one I had activated it in. (Not true, I've had the same zipcode in MN for 25 years). They said if I would let them change the zipcode to match my address, it would change my phone number, but the Proclaim would work. Wrong, still wouldn't work.
    Got a new Proclaim two days ago, this one works, but I lost my number for nothing. They took my sister's once, told her it had "matured". I think they make up stuff as they go along. They gave it to another customer, who said they had theirs taken away for no reason the same day. My sister eventually got hers back.

Phone
    Atrix/Skyrocket/R455C/Samsung Jack
    Carrier
    GoPhone LTE
    Feedback Score
    in their fine print they say they own the number. i say if i brought the number i own it.

sir your phone number has matured and we are putting it out of its misery. holy moley.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast