Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: "Radio Interface Resource Shortage" on Evo

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile (S3) Tracfone (ZTE Valet) & AT&T (Galaxy Express, Lumia 520)
    Feedback Score
    I am trying the ##CLEAR# procedure and updating the PRL to see if this will help.

Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by twelfth View Post
    That this problem doesn't exist in Gingerbread versions of the phone is a fairly good indication that we're looking at a software issue. Unfortunately... we're looking at a software issue and this is Virgin we're talking about.
    That's why I'm fairly sure we're stuck with this issue for awhile. It is intermittent (at least for me it has been) so you can't really tell if a "fix" is really working until days after you implement it...and even then, you might just be having an extended period where the bug isn't creating problems.

Does VM test these things before releasing them? With as many people as we have reporting this particular issue, you'd think it could've been discovered with by any meaningful attempt at quality control.

Carrier
    Virgin/Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mfrerkes View Post
    Does VM test these things before releasing them? With as many people as we have reporting this particular issue, you'd think it could've been discovered with by any meaningful attempt at quality control.
    Does Sprint often have people doing testing in areas with poor tower coverage? I wonder if QC could have even caught this issue. But yes, in other ways you can still tell QC is lacking before they push phones out. Despite their history (Triumph), the EVO and that it came with ICS (when the Sprint version didn't have it) is still well executed. The worst things we can say about it (Activation and Radio Resource bugs) is still pretty impressive, considering. But that goes to show how low of expectations we have when it comes to Virgin in general... heh.

Carrier
    T-Mo (100min/5GB)
    Feedback Score
    I just ran into this problem today for the first time. I don't think it's signal strength related since my phone was at -75 to -85 dBm all day and suddenly went to -120 dBm (same location with full signal bar) and my phone gave interference error when I tested out sending text and receiving phone calls. Can't VM release something without issues.

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The Optimus V had a similar problem, random data disconnects that required a reset. I finally had to get rid of it. As far as I know VM never fixed it. Not to be factious, but have they ever actually fixed anything? This is a company that can sell a phone (shuttle) that could even be used receive calls and never bothered to fix it. At the very best they might slip a fix into newer versions but if past history is any guide you won't be able to be sure to get a new version if you exchange.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by twelfth View Post
    I'm getting the feeling that it's possibly a Wifi interference/sensing issue. 4G is still using near the same frequencies and it behaves like Wifi does on the phone: The phone has to disable it and switch back to 3G when sending texts or MMS. Seems that when you don't do anything for a long enough time to cause 1X or 3G to pop up, it just loses itself.
    Idk if it helps but,
    I never had 4g on when or before I got the error , was always just turned wifi off and had data off altogether or was only using 3g when I got the error

I also agree with doboy I was not in a poor signal area, I was home with readings same as he listed

Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by doboy007 View Post
    I just ran into this problem today for the first time. I don't think it's signal strength related since my phone was at -75 to -85 dBm all day and suddenly went to -120 dBm (same location with full signal bar) and my phone gave interference error when I tested out sending text and receiving phone calls. Can't VM release something without issues.
    I've had numerous problems placing phone calls that even a quick cycle of Airplane Mode wouldn't fix. Never had that problem with the Triumph or Optimus V. I shut down the phone and rebooted, then I could finally make a call. Again, it's probably some software issue that Sprint/VM will never get around to addressing. VM's customer service is an absolute train wreck. I'll not waste my time running that Fool's Errand ever again.

If it's not sluggish data, then it's texts that don't get sent on time or at all. If it's not texts, then it's difficulty making phone calls. I'm starting to question whether $35 month is a steep enough discount to justify all these issues happening concurrently.

I absolutely hate the idea of contracts or walking on some nebulous "data-capped eggshell" with Straight Talk, but VM is continuing to disappoint with their quality issues. I'm not expecting perfection for $35/month, but something that seems like reliable service would be nice.

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Just want to share this info. It seems this text problem is happening on Sprint Postpaid , EVO 3D. Here's a link and this link.

I've noticed I've consistently missing phone calls as well. My Evo V 4G does not show I missed a call. Yet the caller left a voicemail. When I checked VM website on the missed call, the call is registered as 62450000000012 not the actual phone number of the caller. I've also found during " no phone call receivable time", if I attempt to text, I sure would get these radio interface errors. Of course, all this could be fixed temporarily with a prl/profile update and/or reboot of the phone.

Digging further, I noticed, this problem is through out the nation on Sprint network. I certainly hope this is their Network Vision problem and it would be fixed soon.

Carrier
    Virgin/Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hchen42 View Post
    Digging further, I noticed, this problem is through out the nation on Sprint network. I certainly hope this is their Network Vision problem and it would be fixed soon.
    Posit: We're seeing this issue crop up fairly often due to the different (and limited) provisioning on the Virgin Mobile side of the Sprint network.

The error could be exactly what it's saying: It couldn't get a timeslice from the tower. "Radio Resource Shortage."

People seeing it when on Wifi more often tend to time out from the tower and lose their slot and have trouble getting it back without doing tricks...

Sound plausible?

Feedback Score
    Has anyone contacted HTC. Although they wouldn't fix the problem, maybe they are competent enough to provide a reasonable explanation.

Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyTouch311 View Post
    Has anyone contacted HTC. Although they wouldn't fix the problem, maybe they are competent enough to provide a reasonable explanation.
    As of right now, I'm having good luck with the ##CLEAR# procedure someone else suggested in this thread. I've gone nearly 30 hours without a single "Radio Interface" error message. Obviously, it's still too early to make any definitive statement about whether this fix works permanently, but so far...so good.

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brachiopoid View Post
    The Optimus V had a similar problem, random data disconnects that required a reset. I finally had to get rid of it. As far as I know VM never fixed it. Not to be factious, but have they ever actually fixed anything? This is a company that can sell a phone (shuttle) that could even be used receive calls and never bothered to fix it. At the very best they might slip a fix into newer versions but if past history is any guide you won't be able to be sure to get a new version if you exchange.
    I think they fixed it eventually. I recall when I first got OV in March 2011, I had to switch airplane mode for about a month. Then everything became smooth sailing. Rarely had any problem for the past 12 months.

Carrier
    T-Mo (100min/5GB)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hchen42 View Post
    I think they fixed it eventually. I recall when I first got OV in March 2011, I had to switch airplane mode for about a month. Then everything became smooth sailing. Rarely had any problem for the past 12 months.
    ^ me too. My problems resolved on it's own.

Feedback Score
    ##clear#...24 hrs later, no issues.

Feedback Score
    ##clear# didn't help me much. I did this in the morning, my phone reactivated itself, and a couple hours later, I got the "Radio Interface Resource Shortage" error again. Got the error two or three times total today. I can usually "fix" it by turning off wifi for a minute.

Maybe i'll try again tomorrow morning.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast